Upgrade/wiring question

Brew

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
South Louisiana
Looking at what my options are with the new upgrades. Just wondering if this works. I've only be subscribed since October, and comitted to 18 months so got a while to go with meeting my contract.

Current: 625 driving an HDTV ready tv in the living room and a little SD tv in the bedroom. A 111 in the computer room hooked to a PC.

I'd like to keep the 625, and upgrade to HD. I want to trade the 111 for a 622 and pay the $299 upgrade. As I understand the upgrade offers that should be fine. I'd be paying two dvr fees, but I'd drop one receiver fee. I'll have to pick up HD packages as well.

If all that is possible, my real question is can I get the house wired like this.

622 in the living room.
625 in the bedroom.
I can have drops in the computer room and my guest bedroom(rarely used) since I have 4 tuners. Can I have everything run to everything? Can I back feed both DVR's to the other 3 tv's?

I'd like to be able to change the channel on any of the TV's and then with the right remote watch tv from either of the DVR'S

For your fees it would be

622 = included with subscription + DVR fee
625 = $5.00 additional receiver fee (or otherwise called lease fee) + DVR fee

You could feed the 2nd tuner of the 622 and both tuners of the 625 to any TV in the system.The first tuner on the 622 will not have a coaxial output to feed into the system.

Thanks.

So i pick up an extra DVR fee plus the changes in programming due to picking up HD. I understand about the 622 - the first out has to go to the HDTV, but the other can back feed the other 3, and the 625 can back feed the other 3.

I guess I just wait until I can actually place an order.

Well they showed up yesterday to do the install. The order was all screwed up, so they ended up going home and did nothing. They were only supposed to connect the 622 to one tv and walk out the door. That wouldn't cut it, so after an hour on the phone with dish, I got a new install date of 3/25. They are supposed to come out with the dish I need to replace my super dish and get me switched to HD. I did get her to activate the 622 while we were doing all this, so it's hooked up and feeding a second tv. They also want to charge me $118 to move the 625 to another room and hook it up to two rooms. I prepaid that, but I'm hoping to get around that by having everything hooked up and run and ready to go before they get here. Thats where you guys come in.

I want to make sure this will work: Back feed from the 622 and 625 into diplexers. Take the antenna out from the diplexers where they meet outside the house, and plug 4 runs into a 3 way splitter and run to all the tv's. My questions concerns are - 1. does the in/out of a splitter really matter, or do I need a 4 way splitter and plug all the runs into the outs. I know those should be connected. 2. Am I going to degrade the signal by very much by adding all these connections. Right now from satellite to a second tv its. LNB - Switch - Diplexor - Diplexor - Receiver - Diplexor - Diplexor - TV. After this it will be LNB - Switch - Splitter - Diplexor - Diplexor - Splitter (to run the back feed to the tv connected to the Receiver) - Receiver - Splitter - Diplexor -Diplexor - Splitter - TV

Right now the signal seems to be pretty good. I get 90-110 on signal strength on 119, and the only real complaint I have on PQ seems to be compression related.

I don't really follow your text "diagram" - I don't see where "4 runs" comes into play.

So, I'll just spout some basic rules:
  • one pair of diplexers per cable.
  • don't try to mix OTA/cable with backfeeds
  • the average VHF/UHF splitter CAN be used "backwards" as a combiner

You don't say how many TVs or where they are - but that might be because I'm not following everything you typed. SO (again), to run both 625's outputs out to "central command", :) combine (reverse split) them BEFORE the diplexer. The 622 does not need this - consider it as built-in. So at this point, "central command" has two VHF/UHF feeds (from the diplexers), each with 2 channels.

Combine them with a splitter, and you now have a 4-channel 'cable head-end' - send it anywhere around the house, split as desired - but do NOT use any of the same cables with diplexers.

If you are using DPPlus to run only one cable to the receivers, well, it's hard to get the other receiver's signals there. If you're using TWO cables per receiver, go ahead and use diplexers on them as desired to get your 4 channels back into the same room that 2 of those channels started from. ;)

Finally, these are analog signals, and there ARE limits before PQ goes bad. However, I have successfully done exactly this (4-channel 'headend'), split it via a 2-way, then 40' away, re-split one of those legs 3 ways and sent that as much as another 60'. Will it work for you? The ONLY way to know is to try it. If you lose PQ, a video amp instead of the final output splitter (to the remote TVs) may fix it.

will wwor be on dish in september for distant viewers

DISH HD PPV over the Web

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)