Upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nobra81

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
When you upgrade receivers thur d* and pay $99 h20 or hr20 $299. Do you own the equipment or is it a lease?

thanks
steve

Lease. 2 year commitment. Call Directv and ask for retention group and see if you can negotiate a better price. Those are just the MSRP prices and not what most folks end up paying.

Yep, when you call D*, say cancel at the first prompt and you'll get to retention, those are the folks that can make deals. What appears to work the best is that you want to upgrade to a HD DVR and Dish doesn't have an upfront charge for their HD DVR, you want to stay with D* but really can't see paying hundreds of dollars for the HR20. Just be nice and usually it works. If you don't get a good deal just say thank you, never mind, and call back again in a few days, sometimes getting a different CSR is a key to making a good deal.

But keep in mind that they do take notes, so when you call back, the next CSR should be able to see what has already been offered and may not go too much farther to please you. And if you call several times, they may pick up on the fact that you are just fishing. So good luck, it has worked for a lot of people, but don't abuse it...it may come back to bite you in the ***. And the key is always be nice...they will feed off of that :)

Keep in mind they are replacing HR-10s that fail with HR-20s, so if there is anything at all wrong with your present unit, you may not have to pay anything.

I find it odd that we pay up front, but still don't own the receiver.

Keep in mind they are replacing HR-10s that fail with HR-20s, so if there is anything at all wrong with your present unit, you may not have to pay anything.

:welcome to the site tonyneece :)

This is the way D* has set it up since March of '05 I think it was.
The advantage of doing it this way is IF you have any trouble they will quickly replace it.
The original cost is much higher than the up front cost we are paying, for example, the HR20-700 is around $ 800, at that price I doubt that I would have one, if I did , I definatley would not have two that I have now.

Jimbo

Absolutely true.

Received a replacement for my HR10 for free this week. Got my HR10 functional again.

I paid $999 for my HR10-250 when they first came out, and now its going to be useless for HD. DirecTV offered me a new HD DVR plus dish plus install for $99 but they didn't mention that it was a lease. I assume it was an oversight on their part. So assuming its a lease, and the $99 is likely labor, I guess that's not such a bad deal, is it?

I've been a DirecTV+Sunday Ticket+NHL Center Ice customer since 1996.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)