Upgrading H24 to Genie and keeping other recievers the same? (house/Mobile Home)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amendolaro

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
florida
okay, so i have a total of 6 boxes. 1 HR24 and 2 H24s in my home. I also have a HR24 H24 and a SD reciever in my mobile home. What im wondering is... i want to keep my current setup and just upgrade one of my H24 boxes in my home to the 5 tuner Genie... Will this work or do all my units now have to be "Clients"? ALso, if i have a 5 tuner genie + my old HR24 will i be able to record 7 shows? or 5 is the most? thanks a bunch!

It will work fine, you'll need an upgrade in equipment so expect to pay for an installation, they'll need to put in a SWM16 switch because you'll be at 9 tuners. That said, they generally don't charge much to install a receiver.

well id only have 7 tuners due to the fact that 1 HR24 is in the mobile home. Would i still need a new switch? also could i now pause/record from ALL tvs like you could with the new "clients"? or do i NEED the clients for that?

It will work fine, you'll need an upgrade in equipment so expect to pay for an installation, they'll need to put in a SWM16 switch because you'll be at 9 tuners. That said, they generally don't charge much to install a receiver.

Then it would depend on what your existing equipment is. Press the "-" button on your receiver and see if it says SWiM connected. If it does you're probably all set. If not, you would still need an equipment upgrade, just they would use a SWM8 LNB instead of a SWM16.

Unless you have a second account then the HR24 is considered to be part of your "main" home. The tech will come prepared for installation of the SWM16. In fact, it might be even more complicated because of the SD receiver, which is also part of your installation as far as DirecTV is concerned. If that receiver is not SWM-compatible, the tech will come prepared to replace it.
FYI you are not really supposed to have two installations the way you have it, unless you have two accounts. DirecTV's terms of service are that all receivers must be at your service address. They turn a blind eye to taking one of your receivers in your RV when you travel, as long as you don't use the system in the RV at the same time as the one at home.

You might end up being able to do this without complications but this is just a "heads-up".

Unless you have a second account then the HR24 is considered to be part of your "main" home. The tech will come prepared for installation of the SWM16. In fact, it might be even more complicated because of the SD receiver, which is also part of your installation as far as DirecTV is concerned. If that receiver is not SWM-compatible, the tech will come prepared to replace it.
FYI you are not really supposed to have two installations the way you have it, unless you have two accounts. DirecTV's terms of service are that all receivers must be at your service address. They turn a blind eye to taking one of your receivers in your RV when you travel, as long as you don't use the system in the RV at the same time as the one at home.

You might end up being able to do this without complications but this is just a "heads-up".

That's interesting. What if one is camping with an RV and has a house sitter? I don't have the situation personally, but when I retire, it is a possibility.

Status
Please reply by conversation.