Upgrading to a Draft N on Verizon DSL

Sentry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Huntington WV
Hello -

I like this group on Satellite guys but you guys are a little over my head so please be nice. :D

As the title says, I have DSL with a Verizon provided Westell wireless modem that I use with a hard wired PC and a laptop on the "G" wireless.

My wife is working online with the laptop as a ChaCha guide (which is another interesting story) and I would like to go "N" so it is a little faster for her.

Now to my question: Get a wireless router and card, I know that much. But how do I connect to Verizon? Go through the Westell or take out the Westell and let Verizon re-program the new router? I would like to have an idea how this works before I get one just from my own curiosity.

Go into the Westell, turn off the wireless, and connect a new 802.11N Wireless Access Point to the Westell. You don't need a new router, just an access point.

Go into the Westell, turn off the wireless, and connect a new 802.11N Wireless Access Point to the Westell. You don't need a new router, just an access point.

Or buy a 802.11n wireless router and turn off DHCP on it. That's often cheaper than buying a WAP, which can be hard to find these days.

Going to N isn't going to make the internet any faster. Save your money and stay with G. If you and / or your wife are transferring files around your network then you will see a huge difference with N.

Going to N isn't going to make the internet any faster. Save your money and stay with G. If you and / or your wife are transferring files around your network then you will see a huge difference with N.

Won't it make my connection on the laptop faster that the the G connection which shows something like 54 MpS?

1. Is your NIC in the laptop N compatable? I bet not. So you may be stuck with 54mbps G or you will have to pay to add-on and external.

I would do some basic research and homework. "N" is still draft only, not a standard. AND likley to take your money right now vs delivering the actual advertised goods. If you have a greag G network, stick with it at least till N is out of draft. Not all N is built the same. Also you do know that D-link has 108mpbs G gear? But again, not sure what your laptop will handle / provide.

Wireless Access Point (802.11g) DWL-2100AP

Start some reading here:

Why are manufacturer’s pushing draft 802.11n? | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

Won't it make my connection on the laptop faster that the the G connection which shows something like 54 MpS?

It will make your network (think of it as only thing connected to your router inside, not the otherside going to the modem) faster so that you can transfer files between your computers within your house much quicker. It won't help at all with your network unless your network runs faster than 54 Mps

It will make your network (think of it as only thing connected to your router inside, not the otherside going to the modem) faster so that you can transfer files between your computers within your house much quicker. It won't help at all with your network unless your network runs faster than 54 Mps

How can I tell the speed of my network? Can I look at my desktop PC that is hardwired to the Westell and see anything?

My wife is working online with the laptop as a ChaCha guide (which is another interesting story) and I would like to go "N" so it is a little faster for her.

Like John Walsh mentioned, if your only goal is to speed up your wife's connection to the internet, then moving to Draft N is not going to meet that objective. Your laptop speed is 54Mb. Your Verizon DSL connection to the internet is far slower than that.

If you have other goals, such quickly transferring large files between your wired computer and your wireless laptop, then draft N could help, though personally, I think that is a little bit of overkill for what you want.

Like John Walsh mentioned, if your only goal is to speed up your wife's connection to the internet, then moving to Draft N is not going to meet that objective. Your laptop speed is 54Mb. Your Verizon DSL connection to the internet is far slower than that.

If you have other goals, such quickly transferring large files between your wired computer and your wireless laptop, then draft N could help, though personally, I think that is a little bit of overkill for what you want.

... and as I said above you are correct AND I bet the laptop has an embedded NIC that is likely limited to 54G max and would need to be disabled and replaced with an external (YUCK!). Draft N is almost always a waste and overkill.

How can I tell the speed of my network? Can I look at my desktop PC that is hardwired to the Westell and see anything?

What is the make and model of the router?

How is the laptop connected; if wireless what is its make & model OR do you no what NIC it has? You could have the fastes network in the area BUT it will likely "backup" to the slowest hardware connect. ALL piese should be N and from the same company!

So if you had an "N" network setup but the lone laptop was running 54g max, then having the N to increase network speeds will do no good. N will improve DISTANCES, but not enough to warrant the cost and the fact its DRAFT, NOT A STD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)