Uplink Activity Report - 1/14/2009 1:02am - 418 changes

While i'm hopeful of more national HD, I do think a lot of these temp HD channels are likely VOD, PPV or expanded RSN's. Personally i'd love to see my RSN- Fox Cincinnati with a 24 hour HD feed so I can erase the SD version from my favorite channels.

my question- I see Cleveland HD locals added to 129W? Does that mean I can "move" from Erie, PA and get those locals w/o a wing dish now?

Huh oh... I found something interesting on 61.5. Pure speculation here... butttttt...

The transponder with the LTD's... the ones that usually have the slates when a channel is taken down is also mapped to channels 125, 134, and 164.

124 is BET...owned by Viacom.

133 is Fox Movies... Viacom too?

163 VH1 Classic... Viacom.

Something smells fishy. Is that what Scott's Avatar means?

I thought the "L" in LTD stood for Local.

One Fox and 2 Viacom. Maybe Dish is getting ready to use some loophole in the contract for these channels to try to strong arm Fox and Viacom into taking a new deal so they can begin to offer HD for them?

I'm confused. If we have HD locals on 118 and we will have HD locals on 129, does that mean they will be reconfiguring 118 and removing our HD locals from that sat?

If not, how will our receiver decide which sat to pull the locals from?

What if someone has "moved" to Atlanta and a signal check shows they can still hit TP4? Does that mean they'll be fine? Or are the "movers" hosed?

Until they actually move Ciel 2 into position and light it up, you won't know whether you'll get TP4 in that spotbeam or not. I think what you're seeing now is the SS from TP4 on the current 129 satellite.

Anyone know if the Indianapolis channels will be mirrored on 61.5? Because of LOS probs with 129, I have a second dish for 61.5. Or, am I going to have to move the dish WAY out in the yard??

Not if the bulk of subs have 129. There seems to be a thrust to slow down the dish changes for HD locals.

Would this also apply to the Louisville, Ky locals? The SD versions are on Western Arc, yet the HD versions are on Eastern Arc. Would seem to cost E* a lot less money to have them on both instead of having to change all of the older customers over to EA.

Austin's HD Locals are currently on Eastern Arc, but they're also now showing up on yesterday's uplink on 129 on TP12. I'm kinda excited if Austin HD Locals will actually be on 129...

I was thinking of switching to EA soon, but have a feeling that Western Arc is probably better, since it'll have two new birds @ 110 and 129...compared to what's being used on EA.

It seems to me that we've speculated for a long time that E*'s plan was to have BOTH eastern and western arc options for many DMA's. There are many good reasons to do this:
  • Many subs have a mixture of HD and SD recievers, and this gives them the option of keeping it that way, at least until E* goes all-MPEG4.
  • Many subs have line-of-sight issues for one arc or the other.
  • Many "eastern" subs were set up with 1000 or 1000.2 dishes before EA became available.
  • Probably other reasons I can't think of right now.
I'm stumped as to why so many here are expressing surprise that their particular DMA will be on both "arcs."

Brad