Uplink Activity Report - 11/12/2008 1:40pm - 165 changes

We need ESPNU HD after all ESPN is bidding to have all BCS bolw games on their network.
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3697923"]Reports: ESPN bidding on Bowl Championship Series TV deal - ESPN[/ame]

Another rate hike on the way thanks to ESPN again.

Well, this has been another disappointing day.

I'm not all that disappointed since after the earnings call with Charlie, he let the cat out of the bag when he said HD wasn't driving the business. I voted last week that we wouldn't see any more national HD added this year and I still think that will be the case. I would love to be proven wrong with the addition of the Fox and Viacom suites, but I wouldn't even bet a nickel on it. We're already into the Christmas marketing season and it seems they are content to continue to misdirect with the up to 150 HD channel claims. To add HD in December when people aren't watching because of things going on during the holiday season, wouldn't make much sense. If they want to counter advertise against the competition they need to get some numbers on their side or make up some better ones. :) The emphasis seems to be on getting those new subs and they seem to want to do that at the expense of angering the existing ones. I'm sorry KC, but giving KC HD LIL on two different satellites while ignoring DMAs further east with no HD LIL is irritating. I guess all the spotbeam space is used up for the spots in those markets farther east. I'm headed to a tropical paradise for a few weeks so I won't have access to satellite anyway which is probably a good thing.

I'm not all that disappointed since after the earnings call with Charlie, he let the cat out of the bag when he said HD wasn't driving the business. I voted last week that we wouldn't see any more national HD added this year and I still think that will be the case. I would love to be proven wrong with the addition of the Fox and Viacom suites, but I wouldn't even bet a nickel on it. We're already into the Christmas marketing season and it seems they are content to continue to misdirect with the up to 150 HD channel claims. To add HD in December when people aren't watching because of things going on during the holiday season, wouldn't make much sense. If they want to counter advertise against the competition they need to get some numbers on their side or make up some better ones. :) The emphasis seems to be on getting those new subs and they seem to want to do that at the expense of angering the existing ones. I'm sorry KC, but giving KC HD LIL on two different satellites while ignoring DMAs further east with no HD LIL is irritating. I guess all the spotbeam space is used up for the spots in those markets farther east. I'm headed to a tropical paradise for a few weeks so I won't have access to satellite anyway which is probably a good thing.

Have a cool one for me too! I'm with ya on this one! Charlie and Company have pulled our yang till it's sore, enough of false hopes and promises!

Did they actually put a SD Retro TV subchannel KEYE2 onto 119?

If so, my 625 should see it. I really wonder who was clamoring for this one.

N/m I see it is just EPG... Cool. This is something that was missing for awhile from the $5/mo. I pay for the guide and no actual HD locals, as I don't have a dish pointed at 61.5.

I want my HD LiLs! Come on Dish, uplink Springfield,Missouri already!

Looks like they have a big plan with lots of movement. Springfield will maybe be next week since they are allready uplinked in sd and maybe just a matter of switching the big 4 to HD. Just wondering if KY3 will be in HD since DirectTV still don't have them I don't think.

I can't believe they are moving KC to the EA, that means they can't remove them from 129 till they get all the dishes replaced for customers. That could take awhile, I would think.

On Nov 7 it was stated in another thread

Jacksonville – new HD market
Lexington – new HD market
Cincinnati – new HD market
Little Rock – new HD market
Springfield, MO – new HD market
Charleston, WV – new HD market
Harrisburg – new HD market
Louisville – new HD market
Austin – existing HD market
Wichita Falls (including Montague County which receives both Dallas and Wichita Falls locals) – new HD market

that is only a week away. Do they wait until the last minute sometimes to launch the channels to the satellite when they plan on offering them?

I can see Dish Network trying to add markets that DirecTv does not have and may not plan on adding for a while to try to get the market share in some of these areas. This would prevent churn and allow them to acquire more customers in those markets (until DirecTv offers those channels there). I can see DirecTv doing the same thing for a while too. This would allow more markets to be covered. They might even come to agreements on which markets each one will cover after covering most of the markets. This would save them money because they would have twice as many customers in those same areas without additional cost for the uplinks.

The emphasis seems to be on getting those new subs and they seem to want to do that at the expense of angering the existing ones.

I need a counter for how many times I correct this misimpression.

0..000000000001% of Dish Network subs are angry.

Most don't have HD TV's.

Many who have HD TV's subscribe to Dish-HD and are watching the SD versions of the channels by mistake and commenting about how great HD looks. :rolleyes:

Anywhere that Dish has HD Locals, Dish has available 99% of HD programming that people are watching.

So, dish is concentrating on adding HD Locals, and also on one-dish installations - both of which are accomplished by 77 West.

Austin – existing HD market
Wichita Falls – new HD market

10 markets worth of local HD channels is a tall order. We'll see what actually gets added on November 18. I wouldn't be surprised to see most on that list get only partial adds of merely one or two local HD channels. I'll also get a pretty good chuckle if Wichita Falls-Lawton gets missed completely yet again. I'm done with being angry or annoyed by it. Now the issue has moved on to full blown comedy.

Did they actually put a SD Retro TV subchannel KEYE2 onto 119?

If so, my 625 should see it. I really wonder who was clamoring for this one.

N/m I see it is just EPG... Cool. This is something that was missing for awhile from the $5/mo. I pay for the guide and no actual HD locals, as I don't have a dish pointed at 61.5.

I had been whining at the programming folks at Dish since 42-2 launched. Finally we have EPG data for it.

I kept the pressure on them, and was promised it would come, and now it's here.

On Nov 7 it was stated in another thread

Wichita Falls (including Montague County which receives both Dallas and Wichita Falls locals) – new HD market

Sadly, no Springfield, MO HD -it's a market being transitioned to EA but will not have HD LiL's, yet; only MPEG4 SD locals.

Actually, you can't get the separation by any technical way if that slot occupied by sat cluster.
Only FCC papers could reveal what sat(s) sits there today and what tpn lite-on on particular sat in the cluster.
In this particular case we are reasonably certain that EchoStar 4 is pointing mostly to Mexico and I cannot receive it and EchoStar 8 is pointing for an Eastern Arc assignment and I can receive it. An educated guess would be that EchoStar 4 is not going to be a part of DiSH Network USA at this slot.

Actually, you can't get the separation by any technical way if that slot occupied by sat cluster.
Only FCC papers could reveal what sat(s) sits there today and what tpn lite-on on particular sat in the cluster.

Well not with DBS dishes. Large enough dish will be able to zero in on an exact satellite in a cluster.