Uplink Activity Report - 9/17/2008 1:02pm - 128 changes

Hey Hey It looks like Dish will be showing some data in the program guide for sun channels--EG KTVU(2) Sub 2 great I will now know hat I'm watching.

Exactly.

But that won't prevent people saying "Charlie Lies !" if it doesn't happen on the timetable suggested by other SG members. :rolleyes:

Sometime the timetable is suggested BY Charlie, such as when he says there will be new HD with the activation of E11. E11 is on, been on for a couple weeks, and no new HD. In cases such as this, you can't blame us for being impatient with Charlie.

14503 - WDSU2 [EPG] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 23 Spotbeam 12(LA) (NA)(New Orleans, LA)
14535 - WVUE2 [EPG] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 23 Spotbeam 12(LA) (NA)(New Orleans, LA)

These 2 are available now.
The guide is now showing the New/updated info.(After a new guide download)

Sometime the timetable is suggested BY Charlie, such as when he says there will be new HD with the activation of E11. E11 is on, been on for a couple weeks, and no new HD. In cases such as this, you can't blame us for being impatient with Charlie.

E*11 allows the addition of new HD.

You also need contracts.

I've never heard Charlie or anyone else say anything other than:

by the end of the year

I've never heard Charlie or anyone else say anything other than: "by the end of the year."

On the last Charlie Chat they specifically pointed out a couple dozen HD LiL markets (with an on-screen list of the markets) that would be added "within 30 - 45 days."

Based on today's uplink activity it now looks like the markets on that list won't be added at all. I hope I'm wrong about that.

by the end of the year
That's true because it would be asinine for a CEO to mention specific dates. But, when Scott G. claims that the MPEG4 conversion is to occur in "Mid September", I seriously doubt that he made up that timeframe on his own. Don't you think he got that from one of his contacts at E*??

You also need contracts.

Perhaps Scott was embellishing a bit, but in the Earnings Conference Call thread, Scott said:
Also one thing Charlie did say was that the new Echostar 11 satellite would be in operation by the end of the month and when its put into operation they will expand their HD offerings again at that time.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ng-conf-call-monday-8-4-08-a.html#post1470942

I took this to be essentially a quote (at least a good paraphrase) of something Charlie had said. This didn't seem to be a Pub rumor or something like that, but something strait from the horse's mouth.

Yes, you need contracts. It just seemed that Dish may have had that covered when it was said the will expand HD offerings.

You also need contracts.

:
Yea Contracts , Thats BS! Every other provider doesn't seem to haved HALF the contract issues as E* has with networks. You can love E* all you want ,But I'm not buying into networks aren't fair to charlie. Charlie needs to start thinking more about his customers and less about his wallet.

Indeed. Another statement of Scott's (although perhaps I'm putting too much stock in his statements) is that Networks typically don't charge anything extra for HD feeds. Granted, they may want to jump to a lower packag, and/or get a fee increase for both HD and SD (as they probably would have asked for without HD). I had always thought the networks wanted extra for HD, but it seems this is false. If this is the case, contracts should be less of an issue for HD launches.

I have no idea how the contracts work, but I do know that I received an E-mail from the engineer at one of my local stations (one that was removed on the uplink report today that stated " [FONT=&quot]I have no idea why Dish is not carrying locals in HD. We do have an agreement with them to carry our HD signal.[/FONT]" I don't understand why E* would pull a station that was already uplinked (and has been for quite some time) that they already have a contract with. It makes no sense to me, but what do I know. I guess today wasn't "soon" enough. D* carries them and it's pretty frustrating!

And as far as announcing actual dates for planned local additions, E* certainly has. My 4 locals that were removed today were in a chat screenshot stating that they were planned for launch by July 30th. I understand plans change...but they were already uplinked and they already have an agreement!! Am I missing something? (Other than my locals in HD!)

I wrote to E* About this and I got this response

Thank you for your email and bringing your concern to our attention.

DISH Network is committed to bring additional HD stations to our customers in 2008/2009. To achieve this, we are in negotiations with different stations as well as launching additional satellites this year to provide us additional bandwidth to broadcast more channels. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have specific dates when new HD channels will begin broadcasting.

Madison, Wisconsin is on our list of the next local channels to be added in HD. We have a satellite scheduled to be launched in the coming months, and once it is up and running we should have those Madison locals in HD. We thank you for being patient with us as we continue to be the leader in HD programming.

Thanks,

Now what I am supposed to think since contradicts what was said on the Charlie Chat??? It will be a long time before new HD Locals are ready to go

I thought Charlie, in the last chat, was very cagy in what he said about expansion. He did say something like "we're now in negotiations with [whomever, maybe Viacom?] and it appears progress is being made, so we're hopeful..." Reading between the tea leaves [my attempt at humor] there should be significant HD expansion when Ciel-2 is up and broadcasting, which by some accounts will be before the end of the year.

HDRoberts used the phrase "...something strait from the horse's mouth," in describing a purported paraphrase by ScottG of something Charlie supposedly said. Since a "strait" is a channel (for example, the Straits of Gibraltar), I wondered if the poster was cleverly insinuating that Scott is "channeling" Charlie rather than quoting him. Now that would be humor, and even gentle sarcasm if that was actually intended.;)

fitzie

Don't get all in a fit just yet since they were removed.

They have cleared off a TP at 110 due to FEC decreases for the MPEG4 shuffle...they are just waiting for the MPEG2 HD customers to be upgraded. When will that be? Dunno...keep checking your guide on those channels to see if they have some off air events scheduled early in the morning.

HD and sleep

scorin12 said:

Now what I am supposed to think since contradicts what was said on the Charlie Chat??? It will be a long time before new HD Locals are ready to go[[/QUOTE]

At least you have a promise which is specific. Many local areas, including mine, don't even have that. My understanding of Charlie's actual commitment is that by July 2009 a substantial portion of the locals actually broadcasting in HD with whom Dish has been able to forge contracts will be on line. If that doesn't happen, then I will be tempted to join in the watery choir (aka, "carping").

Just for fun I did an actual count of the channels I'm getting in HD on Dish the other day, including the HBO, Starz, Showtime, and Max channels. I've got HD programming running out the yazoo. ("Yazoo" being a technical term.) Between watching HD, trying to work and make some money, and keeping up with SG comments for additional entertainment, finding time for sleep is challenging and sleep deprivation imminent!:) But things could be worse. If only we could get some rain...

fitzie