UPN and WB to merge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Networks sort out programming; KGWB lands The CW

CW 26, anyone?

The sides have been drawn for the two new television networks in the Quad-Cities, and KGWB-TV26 will become an affiliate of The CW Network, beginning in September.

The CW, announced in January, is a merger of The WB, of which KGWB had been an affiliate since 2001, and the CBS-owned UPN network.

It likely will offer WB hits such as “Gilmore Girls” and “Smallville,” and UPN shows such as “Everybody Hates Chris” and “Friday Night Smackdown.”

“It’s exciting for us, because it breathes new life into KGWB,” said John Bain, program manager for WB26 and sister station KLJB-TV 18.

“We think we went with the best combination with The CW. They’re taking the best of the two former networks and putting them on one channel.

“When you’ve got a channel with a winning combination, you’ve got a good start.”

Like the WB, The CW will have two hours of programming each afternoon, and Saturday morning children’s shows.

KGWB is owned by Grant Broadcasting, as is a WB station in Roanoke, Va., whose CW affiliation was also announced Tuesday.

Broadcasting industry Web site TVWeek.com quotes John Maata, chief operating officer for The CW, as saying Grant is a company “whose strong entrepreneurial spirit is grounded in local station ownership.”

My Network TV, a Fox-owned network brought about by the WB-UPN merger, announced earlier this month that WBQD, a low-power UPN station based in Moline, would be its affiliate, also beginning in September.

The affiliation is one of several changes for KGWB, Bain said. The station, licensed to Burlington, Iowa, is in the process of building a digital TV tower near Seaton, Ill. It currently is on KLJB’s secondary digital channel.

KLJB and KGWB will add syndicated programming including “According to Jim” and “Scrubs” repeats this fall, Bain said, and the stations are charter members of the Iowa High School Sports Network, which will broadcast prep sports championships beginning with the 2006-07 season.

There also may be a call-letter change for KGWB, Bain said, that could possibly reflect the new CW affiliation.

http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2006/03/30/news/business/doc442b70f7d31f5473707193.txt

KTIV to launch CW network

The CW is coming to Siouxland.

KTIV officials announced Thursday they would launch The CW network, an amalgamation of The WB and UPN, on one of their secondary digital channels beginning Sept. 4.

"This is a great opportunity for KTIV to continue our primary affiliation with NBC but use the newest TV technology to provide the new network free, over the air to Siouxland viewers," said KTIV Station Manager Dave Madsen.

"The CW will be delivered on cable systems through the area, much the same as the current KXWB is delivered in our market," he added. "But we will also broadcast it on one of our secondary digital channels so finally people without cable will be able to watch the programming." He said the CW should eventually be available for satellite subscribers who are receiving local channels from DishNetwork.

The CW was created earlier this year when UPN and The WB merged. Although no programming lineups have been announced, new CW President Dawn Ostroff has indicated that it would include the best of both. Already, "Everybody Hates Chris," "America's Next Top Model" and "Smackdown" have been listed as UPN holdovers. "Smallville," "The Gilmore Girls" and "Reba" are likely WB transfers.

The CW programming will also offer some of the favorite syndicated programs during the day including "King of Queens," "Will & Grace" and "The Bernie Mac Show."

WB and UPN executives have said it became increasingly difficult to succeed as "weblets," or smaller networks, in a marketplace flooded with television options. By combining forces, they felt they had a better chance of competing with the Big Four -- ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox.

Madsen said KTIV is currently working to upgrade its digital broadcast signal so that it will cover all of the KTIV viewing area. The upgrade should be completed within the next few months.

Sioux City was without The WB and UPN when both launched. In 1999, WB officials came to Sioux City to get space on CableONE. Jamie Kellner, WB chief executive officer, brought stars Shannen Doherty and Bryce Johnson, a former Sioux Cityan, to the Southern Hills Mall in October to push for inclusion. Two years later -- in 2001 -- it was added. Called KXWB, it was operated by KCAU, the ABC affiliate. KTIV later took over management responsibilities.

UPN, meanwhile, has never had a network presence in Sioux City. KMEG has run several of its programs over the years (including "Top Model" and "Everybody Hates Chris"), but in non-primetime hours.

The CW is co-owned by CBS (which owned UPN) and Time Warner (which owned The WB). Executives from both are expected to figure into the new hybrid.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/art...nt/local/46c6941b2e2a76e3862571420012bb41.txt

CW To Headquarter in Burbank

The new CW network will headquarter in Burbank, Calif., in the Pinnacle Building sometime in the fourth quarter, according to CW insiders.

There had been speculation--including a front-page story in the L.A. Times--about just where the new network, which is being formed by CBS and Warner Bros., would eventually be headquartered. UPN is currently based in West L.A. and The WB in Burbank. Both those networks are folding with the advent of The CW.

No details were available about how much of the Pinnacle building The CW would occupy. CBS executives next year are expected to move into new quarters in Studio City, Calif., which is nearby.

With this move and CBS's, four of the five major broadcast networks would be based in the San Fernando Valley area--CW, CBS, ABC, NBC. Fox is in West L.A.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6321264.html?display=Breaking+News

I wonder if they would eventually pursue having a nightly news and morning show like NBC ABC and CBS does.

Stargazer said:
I wonder if they would eventually pursue having a nightly news and morning show like NBC ABC and CBS does.

I doubt it, the big three has been doing it for so long, you can have too much of a good thing.

I'm thinking the same thing. I said that thinking of how the major networks are different than the other channels out there.

The CW: Seven more affiliates join network

Seven more stations have signed up to become affiliates of The CW, taking the new network's potential reach to over 76% of the United States.

The stations added in this latest deal are: WWMT-TV Grand Rapids, WUPV-TV Richmond, WHDF-TV Huntsville, WLAJ-TV Lansing, KTEN-TV Sherman, KFDM-TV Beaumont, and KTVL-TV Medford.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds31301.html

The CW Signs Affiliates in 13 More Markets

The CW announced today that it has signed 13 more long-term affiliation agreements, deals that raise the pending network's clearances to stations reaching more than 79 percent of the country.

The newly signed affiliates include Griffin Communications' WB-affiliated KWBT-TV in Tulsa, Okla. (the 61st-largest market in the country); Belo's WB-affiliated KSKN-TV in Spokane, Wash. (market No. 78); Raycom Media's UPN-affiliated WQWQ-TV in Paducah, Ky.,-Cape Girardeau, Mo.-Harrisburg-Mount Vernon, Ill. (No. 80); KM Communications' WB-affiliated KWKB-TV in Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque, Iowa (88); Sagamore Hill Broadcasting-owned UPN-affiliated WWMB-TV in Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C., operated under a local marketing agreement by Barrington Broadcasting (107); and Wyomedia Corp.'s KWYF-LP in Casper-Riverton, Wyo. (198).

The new affiliates also include several to be created from the digital spectrum of NBC affiliates, including Granite Broadcasting's WISE-TV in Fort Wayne, Ind. (106); Montecito Broadcast Group's KSNT-TV in Topeka, Kan. (136); and Waterman Broadcasting's WVIR-TV in Harrisonburg, Va. (181) and Charlottesville, Va. (186).

The deals announced Monday also include some to be created from the digital spectrum of CBS affiliates, including: Malara Broadcast Group's KDLH-TV in Duluth-Superior, Minn., operated by Granite Broadcasting under an LMA (137); Hoak Media's KAUZ-TV in Wichita Falls, Texas-Lawton, Okla. (144); and Sainte Partners' KVIQ-TV in Eureka, Calif. (194).

"At the heart of any new network's success are the affiliate partnerships you forge with group owners and station executives that share your passion and commitment to create a distinctive programming service that best serves the interests and needs of our audiences and our advertisers," CW Chief Operating Officer John Maatta said. "The multiyear affiliation deals we've signed for stations in these 13 markets reflect that shared sense of values and objectives as well as an amalgam of local and network strengths."

The CW, a joint venture of CBS Corp. and Warner Bros Entertainment, is set to launch in September with a lineup built from The WB and UPN, both of which will go dark at the same time.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9755

Four LIN Stations Sign With The CW

Four stations owned or operated by LIN TV have signed on as affiliates of The CW, an addition that raises clearances for The CW to stations reaching 81 percent of the country's TV homes.

The newly signed LIN stations are: UPN affiliates WWHO-TV in Columbus, Ohio (the 32nd-largest market) and WNLO-TV in Buffalo, N.Y. (49); and WB affiliates KNVA-TV (operated by LIN) in Austin, Texas (53) and WBPG-TV in Mobile, Ala.-Pensacola. Fla. (62).

LIN TV Chairman and CEO Gary Chapman said in the announcement Tuesday: "The affiliation agreements we've signed with The CW reflect our company's strategic focus on growing market share and asset value. After careful consideration, we believe that The CW's strong, sharply focused, highly promotable and highly saleable programming, its seasoned and well-regarded executive team and LIN TV's industry-leading operating capabilities together make these affiliations with The CW the right choice for our four stations, for our viewers, for our advertisers and for our shareholders."

John Maatta, chief operating officer of The CW, said: "It is gratifying to move ahead with LIN TV at our side. Since our first dealings in 1994 when The WB was announced, it has always been a great pleasure to do business with LIN TV generally and a particular pleasure to do business with Gary Chapman, who stands out as one of the great and most innovative broadcasters of his generation. The opportunity to maintain our relationship with LIN TV at The CW is extremely important to us."

A joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp., The CW will launch in September with a 13-hour prime-time lineup consisting of many programs from the lineups of UPN and The WB, which will shut down at the end of the summer.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9792

The CW Adds Three Clear Channel Affiliates

The CW has added three Clear Channel-owned stations as affiliates, raising its clearances to more than 83 percent of the country.

The newly signed stations are WKRC-DT, the digital station of Clear Channel's CBS affiliate in Cincinnati (the 34th largest market in the country); UPN affiliate KUWB-TV in Salt Lake City (market No. 36); and WB affiliate KASN-TV in Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark. (57).

"By combining the best assets of The WB and UPN with our leading local programming in Cincinnati, Salt Lake City and Little Rock, we are well-positioned in each of these markets," said Don Perry, president and CEO of Clear Channel Television. "Our other television and radio properties will also benefit from the synergistic sales and promotion opportunities that will come with The CW's targeted young adult schedule."

John Maatta, chief operating officer for The CW, said, "Signing long-term affiliation agreements for these three Clear Channel stations is a real coup for The CW because not only do we build on our already solid business relationship with one of broadcasting's most respected and successful station group owners, but we also welcome three that have impressive track records enhancing the popularity and value of their programming through innovative marketing."

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9806

McGowen Named Senior VP for Kids' WB! on The CW

Betsy McGowen will join The CW as senior VP and general manager for the five-hour Saturday morning animated programming block Kids' WB! on The CW when it launches this fall. Dawn Ostroff, who will become president of entertainment for the new network, made the announcement Friday.

Ms. McGowen, an executive at Kids' WB! since its inception in 1995 on The WB Network, will oversee series development, marketing, programming and scheduling for the block when it migrates to The CW.

Ms. McGowen has served as senior VP and general manager for Kids' WB! since May 2004. She previously served as senior VP of Kids' WB! marketing and held a top marketing position at Kids' WB! since 1995.

Before The WB, Ms. McGowen worked as a freelance writer, producer and editor for numerous clients, including Fox and the Disney Channel. She also served as a staff promo writer and producer for Fox Kids Network. Prior to Fox Kids, Ms. McGowen was an offline/online video editor for NBC and Fox.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9817

Does anyone know if Las Vegas has an affiliate for the CW as of yet? If not yet, then does anyone know of any plans that Las Vegas will have the CW? I'd appreciate the info! Thanks!

ramwitz :welcome to the forum. post #62 in this thread list LV but not by station ID. So something maybe in the works but not complete yet. If I or someone else here runs across some info, it will be posted for sure.

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate the info. I did see post #62 that listed Las Vegas, but since there was no channel listed by it like the other cities, I didn't understand what it could mean. You have given me hope for Las Vegas though! :)

Kids WB! on The CW Announces 2006-07 Schedule

Four new original programs and the return of four returning series will make up next season's Kids WB! programming slate, which premieres in September on new broadcaster The CW.

The five-hour block of programming, which is being branded "Too Big for Your TV!," will include three new series from Warner Bros. Animation: "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!," "Tom and Jerry Tales" and DC Comics' "Legion of Superheroes." Kids WB! will also air the U.S. television premiere of "Monster Allergy," a new half-hour show from Italian animator Rainbow S.r.l. based on the international comic book series of the same name.

Current Kids WB! series returning to the fall schedule include Warner Bros. Animation's "The Batman," "Loonatics Unleashed" and "Xiaolin Showdown" and Cookie Jar Entertainment's "Johnny Test."

The Saturday morning schedule will be as follows in all time zones: 7 a.m. "Pillow Head Hour"; 8 a.m., "Tom and Jerry Tales"; 9 a.m., "Xiaolin Showdown"; 9:30 a.m., "Loonatics Unleashed"; 10 a.m., "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!"; 10:30 a.m., "Johnny Test"; 11 a.m., "Legion of Super Heroes"; 11:30 a.m., "The Batman."

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9826

The CW Signs 15 More Affiliation Agreements

The CW announced Tuesday that it has signed exclusive long-term affiliation agreements with stations in Savannah, Ga.; Tallahassee, Fla.; Santa Barbara, Calif.; Yakima, Wash.; Corpus Christi, Texas; Anchorage, Alaska; Binghamton, N.Y.; Gainesville, Fla.; Abilene, Texas; Utica, N.Y.; Missoula, Billings, Great Falls and Butte-Bozeman, Mont.; and Juneau, Alaska.

The stations, which represent 1.96 percent of total U.S. TV households, increase The CW's national coverage to more than 85 percent of the country.

The newly signed affiliates include current UPN affiliate WGSA-TV in Savannah; current WB affiliate WTLH-TV in Tallahassee; KSBY-TV in Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-San Luis Obispo, the digital affiliate of the market's NBC station; and KAZW-TV in Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewick, the DT station for the market's Azteca affiliate.

The latest round of deals includes securing four Montana stations owned by Cordillera Communications that are all DT stations of the CBS affiliates in their respective markets and two Smith Media stations that are DT stations of ABC affiliates in Juneau and Utica.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9842

CW adds several Sinclair stations

From a Sinclair news release yesterday:

"Below is a complete list of the markets in which the Company owns and
operates, programs or provides sales services to stations which entered
into affiliation agreements with the CW Television Network and My Network
Television:

KFBT, Las Vegas, NV - CW
KMWB, Minneapolis, MN - CW
KOCB, Oklahoma City, OK - CW
WLFL, Raleigh, NC - CW
WNAB, Nashville, TN - CW
WNUV, Baltimore, MD - CW
WTTO, Birmingham, AL - CW
WDBB, Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, AL (simulcast) - CW
WVTV, Milwaukee, WI - CW

KRRT, San Antonio, TX - My TV
KVWB, Las Vegas, NV - My TV
WABM, Birmingham, AL - My TV
WBSC, Asheville, NC/Greenville, SC - My TV
WCGV, Milwaukee, WI - My TV
WCWB, Pittsburgh, PA - My TV
WDKA, Paducah, KY/Cape Girardeau, MO - My TV
WFGX, Pensacola, FL/Mobile, AL - My TV
WMMP, Charleston, SC - My TV
WNYO, Buffalo, NY - My TV
WNYS, Syracuse, NY - My TV
WRDC, Raleigh, NC - My TV
WSTR, Cincinnati, OH - My TV
WTTA, Tampa, FL - My TV
WTVZ, Norfolk, VA - My TV
WUPN, Greensboro, NC - My TV
WUXP, Nashville, TN - My TV"

Link to original article: http://www.sbgi.net/press/release_200652_162.shtml

Last edited:
Did Affiliate Spill the Beans About CW Launch Date?

Pssst. This didn't come from The CW, but The CW plans to launch Sept. 18, the start date of the 2006-07 prime-time broadcast season-at least, according to one of the new network's affiliates.

In a press release issued Wednesday, Pappas Telecasting described Walla Walla, Wash., station KAZW-TV as the company's Azteca America affiliate that will add The CW to the station's programming lineup "beginning September 18."

The new network, conceived by Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp. to pick up where The WB and UPN end at the end of the summer, has not announced a launch date-so far the network has said only that it is scheduled to debut in September.

A CW spokesman said Wednesday he could not confirm Sept. 18 as the launch date.

MyNetworkTV, which was created by Fox as a program strategy for stations losing UPN programming at the end of summer, is set to debut Sept. 5, which aligns with the beginning of the syndication season.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9912

The CW May Step Away From 'Reba'

Fledgling network The CW probably won't pick up the 20th Century Fox comedy series "Reba" for 2006-2007, people familiar with the matter said.

"Reba," starring country singer Reba McEntire, is unlikely to make the cut as The CW cobbles together a fall schedule from the lineups of its predecessors, The WB and UPN. The Sunday night family comedy isn't expected to fit in with the network's lineup of shows designed to appeal to young adults, the people said.

In 2005, at the end of its fourth season, The WB and 20th renegotiated a deal for "Reba" that took the show's production through spring 2007. That deal was struck long before the end of The WB and the birth of The CW was envisioned.

With 20th arguing the "Reba" deal survives the demise of The WB, Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp., The CW's corporate parents, could be out tens of millions of dollars if they don't pick up the show.

The CW could negotiate its way out of the fees by greenlighting other 20th development.

Spokespeople for The CW and 20th Century Fox TV declined to comment on negotiations over "Reba."

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9961

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts