Urgent Call To Action!!!

sateck,

You're really missing this point here. Forget about PPV programs, that's one thing. But the broadcast flag could (and most likely will) be used to prevent you from recording OVER THE AIR BROADCASTS. These are the programs which we are allowed to record for private, home viewing.

I sent mine. I'm sure however this sh*t will pass as it always does. Becasue most of the time these guys dont even read these bills and really dont care whats in them anyway. This is why we need the line item veto for the president.

sateck01 said:
charper,

what gives you or any else the right to pay for one viewing,, and re view it???

or should

i say WHO

teddy??? rangell?? kerry????? look at the garbage you are dealing with!!

sateck01,

For what it's worth I am a Republican, but this travesty is nothing but an attempt by Hollywood to usurp the fair use rights of consumers, and a underhanded back-door attempt at that! This is the industries knee jerk reaction to any new technology. If it were up to the studios there never would have been a home VCR and despite the fact that Hollywood ended up making billions of dollars on video sales and rentals they still are mired in the same old mentality. Members from all parties (or none) should let their outrage be heard and STOP THIS SH*T NOW! :mad:

NightRyder

I sent mine last night with my inital post, this is total BS. I am certain that Murdoch will have a saving spokesman there with his plan to deploy 20M of these devices. In the event that they do get away with it, it will be short lived and overturned on appeal.

Scott Greczkowski said:
"The Broadcast Flag cripples any device capable of receiving over-the-air​

digital broadcasts.​

Is this accurate? I thought it would prevent a device from recording OTA but not from receiving broadcasts.

Sorry if I am mistaken, but I want to clarify before writing/calling.

Thanks.

Charise

Charise said:
If the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation is the correct committee, then the hearing was postposed for today because certain CEOs were unavailable to give testimony - http://commerce.senate.gov/hearings/witnesslist.cfm?id=1550 .

No. It was the Appropriations Committee. Too bad it wasn't Commerce, MCcain would likely kill it.

NightRyder

Does anyone know if these bast*rds actually submitted the bill on tuesday. I registered my letter with my senator. If this goes through we're all screwed. I can't believe these clowns are gonna get away with this.

ocnier said:
Does anyone know if these bast*rds actually submitted the bill on tuesday. I registered my letter with my senator. If this goes through we're all screwed. I can't believe these clowns are gonna get away with this.

We won't necessarily be "screwed" but we may have to resort to non-legal means to exercise our legal fair use rights, just as we now have to do to make a personal backup of a DVD. "Stupid law. Stupid laws were meant to be broken."

NightRyder

According to a soon to be posted article on Slashdot (link may not work quite yet), the broadcast flag was NOT amended into the appropriations bill. You can view the Thomas bill summary here. Pertinent information is clear at the bottom:
6/21/2005:
Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies. Approved for full committee consideration without amendment favorably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts