Usals modification for H2H motors

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trust

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Nijmegen Netherlands
I modified a few H2H 36 V motors so they can be controlled by Usals .
Its nessesary to generate approx. 40 pulses / 1º movement of the dish , therefore you have to change the reedswitch for a optical pulser .
The motor of a FIBO 120 cm Gregorian already was provide with such pulser with only 1 hole in the pulswheel , but to be exact for Usals it should be 6 and a half .
Far from exact but by changing the Latitude in the Usals menu to a more North position it workt fine with 6 holes .
I used a old Clearmax CX2200 positioner , built the circuitboard of a SG2100 to it and used the east/west relays and the transformer .
This transformer produce also 12 volt ( most V-Boxes do also) and so i added a switch to have the choice between 36 and 12 volt to steer the motor (less noisy and exact)
By the lack of the SG2100 zero and end-switches you cant use the "Go to reference" command . Therefore you must steer the motor manual .
With the east and west switches on the front , it is possible to steer the motor without any effect to the memory of Usals .

Also did the job with a RM120 wich i have 2 , one with reedswitch , the other optical with a 10 hole wheel wich should be 66 holes .
Impossible to dril 66 holes to the edge of a 40 mm dia wheel , the space in the housing of that RM120 allowed a increase to 60 mm, still tricky , so i made 66 slots of 2 mm .
I attached a SG2100 without the worm-shaft and motor on top of the RM120 to make use of the zero and end-switches and the "Go to reference" command .
Removing the worm-shaft and motor , gives space for the contactor-interface , powered by a 30 V printer adapter .

Last job is a AJAK Horizon 180 , it has a reedswitch to a 5 magnet wheel , attaching a hood of a 50 mm pvc drainpipe with 48 slots to that wheel , was exactly the need for my latitude .

To determine the correct amount of pulses i attached a printed protractor to the rotor and by making use of a separate puls counter and turn the rotor 10º
By using GAAPS , a calculator of Moteck , its possible to see on the degree scale how far the rotor turns at a diseqc command .

Febr-2014.JPG

Attachments

• Degree scale.jpg
    Degree scale.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 871
  • 48 pulswheel.jpg
    48 pulswheel.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 985
  • Ajak org. 5 magnet pulswheel.jpg
    Ajak org. 5 magnet pulswheel.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Pulser housing.jpg
    Pulser housing.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 775
  • usals modif.jpg
    usals modif.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,601
  • Pulser housing inside.jpg
    Pulser housing inside.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 827
  • RM120 usals.jpg
    RM120 usals.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • contactor interface in SG2100.jpg
    contactor interface in SG2100.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Reactions: pdiddy
Thanks for posting this.

I'm not smart enough electronically to really have a clue what you did but if it works that is amazing, nice job. :up

Love this Mod!

Im surprised it works, I did the math and always figured it wouldnt

lets say the arms of my H-H mount are both 12" long, and my actuator is currently at

4", the angle is 19.2 deg
6", the angle is 29.0 deg, 1" = 4.4 deg
8", the angle is 38.9 deg, 1" = 5.0 deg
10", the angle is 49.3 deg, 1" = 5.2 deg
12", the angle is 60.0 deg, 1" = 5.4 deg
14", the angle is 71.4 deg, 1" = 5.7 deg
16", the angle is 83.6 deg, 1" = 6.1 deg
18", the angle is 97.2 deg, 1" = 6.8 deg
20", the angle is 112.9 deg, 1" = 7.9 deg
22", the angle is 132.9 deg, 1" = 10 deg

You can see how as the actuator is at its min stroke the angle per inch is less then if the angle is at its max stroke. Actuators measure pulse's per inch, not degree for this reason.

Im curious how you overcame that.

UDL

Who was talking about an actuator? these are H2H mounts ;) But yes an linear actuator won't work.

H to H mounts don't have actuators tho-(?) & He's not using an actuator.
Although, it looks like an actuator on the elevation(?) adjustment.
It seems they've determined that there's 40 pulses per degree of polar axis rotation. So one could surmise that if that could be generated via polar axis rotation directly, that could be used to operate the electronics that runs an actuator.(?)

Yes if you could put the position sensor on the mount and not the actuator it could work. That might be an excellent idea! And could provide other advantages as well.

Yes if you could put the position sensor on the mount and not the actuator it could work. That might be an excellent idea! And could provide other advantages as well.
That idea crossed my mind also , but it is not so easy to realize , the most reliable solution would be a industrial encoder .

Im surprised it works, I did the math and always figured it wouldnt

You can see how as the actuator is at its min stroke the angle per inch is less then if the angle is at its max stroke. Actuators measure pulse's per inch, not degree for this reason.

Im curious how you overcame that.

UDL

It can be done with actuators to , (not by me) with reprogramming the memory of the SG2100 , by a to that certain dish / actuator setup , calculated logaritum .

Trust, interesting project. Thanks for sharing!

How accurate is the USALS calculations as you near the horizon? I have found that the USALS calculation and control is accurate to a point on the arc, then it is best to use manual positioning due to the mechanical errors and unreliable positioning near the East/West limits. Any observations or advice?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Brian , i cant tell for sure , my location is 51.5 N / 5.8 E .
Free sight from 46º E to 61º West and receiving 61º W Amazonas with the standard Usal settings .
To the east , trees are blocking from 46º .

Wim

Thanks! If my calculations are correct, would that be about 5 degrees above the horizon for 61w Amazonas? If so, that would be very close to the typical supported range of USALS of +/-70 degrees.

Last edited:
according to Dishpointer :

Address: 6537at nl
Latitude: 51.8034°
Longitude: 5.8006°

Satellite: 61W AMAZONAS 2 | AMAZONAS 3
Elevation: 5.4°
Azimuth (true): 251.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 250.6°

It can be done with actuators to , (not by me) with reprogramming the memory of the SG2100 , by a to that certain dish / actuator setup , calculated logaritum .
Or maybe programming an Arduino or Basic Stamp to do the corrections?
But I do I like the idea of a dish mounted rotary optical encoder on a system with a linear actuator.

Trust, this page may be of interest to you:

http://www.robotroom.com/PCB.html

I made double sided boards with micro surface mount components a few years ago and it was pretty easy to do.
The standard size components you are using would make it even easier.
It was pretty exciting when the boards come out of the etch tank.

Reactions: Magic Static
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)