Please reply by conversation.

supermod38

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
central, ny
is it possible to use a
DirecTV SL 3K4NR LNB

with a phase lll dish and get 99, 101, and 103 Sats? or is it just too small to get them to work?????:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I do it hunting & camping with a SL5, btw edited title.

thanks for the help, O is too close to the P. fat fingers.................:happyd2::happyd2::happyd2:

I have the LNB , was thinking of getting the small dish for camping. should be a little easier to store than a slimline.

does that also mean i will get HD with the proper receiver? hope so.

It's good for temporary or travel, but I wouldn't recommend it for home use. My 99/103 signals are in the 70's at best on my camping rig, so you would have fast rain-fade on HD channels with this setup.

is it possible to use a
DirecTV SL 3K4NR LNB

with a phase lll dish and get 99, 101, and 103 Sats? or is it just too small to get them to work?????:D

The Phase III is designed to hit the 101///110 & 119. These sats are nine degrees apart. The Phase III is not an HD dish. It is centered on the 110 sat for tuning. The Ka/Ku dishes....are designed for the 99...101...103...110 & 119 with HD from the 99 & 103.

Pretty sure you would have to both distort the Phase III mechanically to "see" the 99 & 103 and then install different LNB components for the HD sevvice. The SD & HD service is on different frequencies. Get a Ka/Ku dish.

Sorry,

Joe

The Phase III is designed to hit the 101///110 & 119. These sats are nine degrees apart. The Phase III is not an HD dish. It is centered on the 110 sat for tuning. The Ka/Ku dishes....are designed for the 99...101...103...110 & 119 with HD from the 99 & 103.

Pretty sure you would have to both distort the Phase III mechanically to "see" the 99 & 103 and then install different LNB components for the HD sevvice. The SD & HD service is on different frequencies. Get a Ka/Ku dish.

Sorry,

Joe

The phase III dish works WELL with the SL3 LNB, the only alteration needed is to accommodate the nub on the LNB with a notch on the feed arm or filing the nub off. I have a phase III dish that was chimney mounted years & years ago that I retro fitted with an SL3 a couple years ago. I have been watching HD off of it ever since. Works like a champ, it actually has about the same rain fade failure rate as my slimline, they both go out at about the same point, even though the signal is a bit lower on the phase III.

The phase III dish works WELL with the SL3 LNB, the only alteration needed is to accommodate the nub on the LNB with a notch on the feed arm or filing the nub off. I have a phase III dish that was chimney mounted years & years ago that I retro fitted with an SL3 a couple years ago. I have been watching HD off of it ever since. Works like a champ, it actually has about the same rain fade failure rate as my slimline, they both go out at about the same point, even though the signal is a bit lower on the phase III.

Yes,

Change the LNB and you can get them to work. They are all shipped as units with some attention to keeping incompatible parts from getting mixed. You can play with the focal distance to possibly improve the performance. I have even seen old PrimeStar dishes used to improve reception. Anyhow, the mast, dish, arm & LNB must end up correctly addressing the correct series of satellites.

Joe

You are getting HD from a Phase III? Joe

Yes,
I've been using the "Phase III dish" modification for a camping set-up and get the HD channels off of the 99/103 sats using a SL3 LNB.

SL3 camping.jpg

supermod38, also see this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/283692-Phase-III-Dish-SL3-LNB-camping-dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.