Using Vista Media Center PC As DVR for Recording Directv HD Content?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MDUB

Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Sorry in advance if this post is in the wrong forum, seemed to be the closest fit.

I've been considering the possibility of taking the plunge for a Media Center PC once Vista hits the shelves, but I need to fill in some blanks before I move forward in terms of the integration of Media Center with Directv. Here are my questions:
-At CES in 2006, MS/D* announced plans for Media Center to support Directv HD content. In fact, they indicated the plan was a Media Center integration would not even require a receiver (the PC could function as an HD receiver). It doesn't appear anything happened with this, and as far as I know to date XP Media Center 05 only supports HD content for OTA. I've seen reports indicating they will add support for cable card with Vista. Anyone have any knowledge as to whether they will deliver on improved Directv integration? I'll be much less inclined to take this plunge if the Media Center would be unable to record Directv HD content.
-I currently own an HR20 and I'm intrigued by the VOD over broadband possibilities being discussed. Anyone know whether there is or will be support for downloading content to the HR20 and transferring it to the Media Center PC or downloading it direct to the Media Center PC? What about accessing content on the HR20 hard drive from the Media Center PC?
-Finally, can the HR20 or other D* receivers be used as Media Center extenders? I have at least 2 TVs I'd want to be able to access Media Center content from, and if the receivers can function as an extender this may save me from buying 1 or 2 XBox360s/stand alone extenders.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.

I would wait, if the DirecTV tuner is like the cable card tuners for Vista then you need to buy an approved PC which includes the tuner.

Wait to see when the DirecTV Vista Media Center tuners are released so you dont need to buy another all new PC just to watch TV.

Thanks. Is it just educated speculation on your part that they will have DTV compatible tuners, or have you heard something specific there? I'm building a new home that will be ready in May/June, so that's when I was kind of hoping to get something. Hopefully, there will be a solid solution in place for me by then.

They have announced in the past tuners for DTV for MCE on Vista, last week at CES I asked and I said we would see it soon after Vista is released.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Many receivers, which switches?

101/110/119 Problem 110 has no signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)