Uverse internet finally available

Well, it's finally installed. Getting all my devices swapped over now. One thing I'm not all that thrilled about is watchespn access. I read that it was available to Uverse customers, and that's true, but not to Internet only customers it seems, which sucks, as tv isn't an option as of now. Oh well, I still have my friends comcast Id.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Had to reset the modem after getting my nat setting right for the Xbox. An hour later, service is still down.

I still have my cable Internet hooked up, I'm thinking I may cancel this Uverse experiment. So far, speed increase over my current Internet aside, it has left me unimpressed.

I found the RipOffReport site while looking for an example of a U-verse Bill. Sounds like you got off easy, msmith, compared to some people.

I had Uverse installed 2 weeks ago, they sent me a letter saying that we had Fibre optic, but the Tech said no we did not have it yet, now I don't know who to beleive.

They installed Uverse and took my 2 ewire out. They installed NVG510 Modem, also put a power back up battery along with the Modem. They only offer 3mbps right now, they said in October we can upgrade to a faster speed.

When I had the 2 wire it only had a red and black wire attached to the phone jack,it now has all 4 wires attached which the tech said we really should have itfor the internet. Before we got Uverse and I D/L'd a movie from Dish it took 2-3 hours to download, with Uverse it D/L'ds from one to three minutes,so I am quite happy with the set up. The thing I am not happy with is that you will get a bill within a few days of install,as they charge in advance, regular AT&T charges after you use it for a month.

So basically what you have is a bill from Uverse and A T & T within a short time and it can add up to big bucks. After a little Hell raising I got the modem free (waived),which made me a lot happier, I also have the new HWS (hopper with sling), the best receiver that I have ever had since I have been with Dish Network, and I have been with them from the C-Band days.

I had Uverse installed 2 weeks ago, they sent me a letter saying that we had Fibre optic, but the Tech said no we did not have it yet, now I don't know who to beleive.

They installed Uverse and took my 2 ewire out. They installed NVG510 Modem, also put a power back up battery along with the Modem. They only offer 3mbps right now, they said in October we can upgrade to a faster speed.

When I had the 2 wire it only had a red and black wire attached to the phone jack,it now has all 4 wires attached which the tech said we really should have itfor the internet. Before we got Uverse and I D/L'd a movie from Dish it took 2-3 hours to download, with Uverse it D/L'ds from one to three minutes,so I am quite happy with the set up. The thing I am not happy with is that you will get a bill within a few days of install,as they charge in advance, regular AT&T charges after you use it for a month.

So basically what you have is a bill from Uverse and A T & T within a short time and it can add up to big bucks. After a little Hell raising I got the modem free (waived),which made me a lot happier, I also have the new HWS (hopper with sling), the best receiver that I have ever had since I have been with Dish Network, and I have been with them from the C-Band days.

Bill
Do you have Tv service with Uverse as well?
I, like you, have both Uverse and dish. Hopper with sling blows everything out of the water.
However, I love the speed of channel changing on Uverse. Also Vod is fantastic! I still feel satelite does not do vod right. I guess satelite has their limitations.
Glad Uverse gave you a deal. I have found their customer service is outstanding.

Due to Life Events, I've had to reschedule our U-verse installation. I was not having very much luck with the computerized menu assistant, I had to repeat my Order Number five times before it finally said that it was connecting me with a representative. After that, things went much better.

I hope your install goes much smoother than mine.

On the up side, so far I'm Ok with the service.

I hope your install goes much smoother than mine.

On the up side, so far I'm Ok with the service.
If you signed up for the 18 Mbps service, how close are you to the actual 18? Since they don't guarantee 18 Mbps, just speeds up to 18 Mbps, I'm curious how close you are to your rated speed.

Hardwired I get around 17.5.

Wifi around 15.5.

And that's steady so far.

Cool! I'm going to take the extra week and prepare the basement area for the extra hardware. I need to take the before (and after!) pictures because that's the kind of nerdy geek I am...

One other thing I'm looking forward to not dealing with is uploads clobbering downloads. If I'm uploading photos to iCloud or Google+, my downlink drops to 300-450 Kbps or so.

Last edited:
Well, as expected, my DSL died today. Not that it should have, mind you, but the computers at AT&T had it in their calendar that I was moving to U-verse yesterday and they could go ahead and turn down my DSL connection.

At least the AT&T Internet Technical Support person I spoke with was helpful and got my DSL re-authorized within 30 minutes.

On a different note, if someone has had U-verse Phone and Internet (no TV) can answer a question for me, I'd appreciate it. I received a flyer in the mail the other day extolling the virtues of U-verse. Of course for most features there was also the footnote annotation. On of the 5 pt type disclaimers and warnings was the mention of a $6/mo High Speed Equipment fee. My order has a $99 charge for the router gateway and UPS which to me means I'm buying it, so WTF? (What's This Fee?)

Does this match other users' experiences? Do you have this $6 fee for High Speed Internet on you account?

I got my first bill and noticed no such fee, but then again I don't have voice.

If you signed up for the 18 Mbps service, how close are you to the actual 18? Since they don't guarantee 18 Mbps, just speeds up to 18 Mbps, I'm curious how close you are to your rated speed.

Isn't this the way it is with ALL providers, they give you UP TO the speed you sign up for ?

Man, what a freak'n mess. I come from work and, guess what? Yep, that's right, no Internet. This time I was on the phone for over an hour waiting for the DSL CSR and then she had to turn it over to the Technical engineers who basically had to rebuild my DSL circuit (again), but this time, I'm still without Internet. My router bounces between getting no connect on the PPPoE connection and making a PPPoE connection, but it terminates in AT&T's cloud before it can go anywhere useful.

I told the CSR if she could roll the U-verse truck tonight, I'd be in her debt. At least the POTS still works. If that dies, I'm screwed since AT&T's GSM signal won't penetrate very far into my basement where all the phone/Internet hook-ups are.

Might as well go to bed, hopefully all will be fixed by the AM.

I received a text message from U-verse asking me to confirm Friday's appointment (I replied "CONFIRM") which was immediately answered. And I mean as soon as my iPhone made the "voop" sound that said the message was sent, it popped up the "Thank you for confirming" message. I expected some delay as the computers processed all the incoming messages, but nope.

?My basement is as ready as it's ever going to be. Here are some before and after cleanup pix:

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 203
In 24 hours we will know. In cleaning up some crap in the basement, I came across an APC Smart UPS Pro 650 without a battery. I checked the specs and it says it can run over an hour if the load is under 100 W, so I bought a sealed Lead-acid battery for $45. I'll find something to power when the lights go out!

?I think I've finally reached the point of diminishing returns until the U-verse gets installed. This is the last "before" picture:

Attachments

• IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    903 KB · Views: 186
Well, 46 minutes into the two-hour window and no AT&T U-verse truck yet. When do I start to worry?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)