Verizon about to throw some money away behind Windows Phone

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Smartphones: PinStack.com - AT&T, Verizon embrace Windows Phone to balance smartphone battle

Meanwhile, Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo said last week that the nation's largest wireless carrier is "hoping to do the same thing" with Windows Phone that it did with Android, which now powers more than half of all smartphones across the United States.
"It is important that there is a third ecosystem brought into the mix here," Shammo said on the company's first-quarter earnings conference call. "We are fully supportive of that with Microsoft ... We helped create the Android platform from the beginning and it is an incredible platform today, and we are looking to do the same thing with a third ecosystem." Shammo also said that Verizon is looking to the Windows Phone 8.0 software upgrade, expected later this year, before committing more fully to the platform.

What are they throwing their weight behind.

December 2011 windows mobile head is fired.

Feb 2012 windows mobile head of development leaves.

Apr 2012 windows mobile marketing head leaves

These are 3 high profile changes in < 6 months.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

What are they throwing their weight behind.

December 2011 windows mobile head is fired.

Feb 2012 windows mobile head of development leaves.

Apr 2012 windows mobile marketing head leaves

These are 3 high profile changes in < 6 months.

Verizon people moving into those positions ?

And more than half of Verizon's sales right now are iPhones - as of a few months ago. With the rest split between everything else. What is their incentive? Sell less iPhones and not have to pay apple as much? But I am not sure I buy that. Or is there a reaon they are concerned about the non-iOS part of their market?

Rocky :

The goal is probably the same as always, increase sales and market share.

Perhaps they are looking for a replacement for BlackBerry.

My company is issuing Android phones as replacements for BB hardware.

Microsoft is desperate. Their desktop OS isn't what it used to be especially with people migrating to tablets and using their smartphones for their computing needs now, and their mobile OS is a piece of crap IMHO.

MS has two cash cows, neither looking good over the long term: Windows OS & Office.

Long live Apache!

I've been saying for a while that if MS doesn't knock this one out of the park (Windows 8) on both platforms they are in big trouble. They might be in big trouble if the desktop market shrinks.

The good news is that the proliferation of mobile, it's helping give me job assurance ... need more servers to service all the mobile devices ;)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I've been saying for a while that if MS doesn't knock this one out of the park (Windows 8) on both platforms they are in big trouble. They might be in big trouble if the desktop market shrinks.

The good news is that the proliferation of mobile, it's helping give me job assurance ... need more servers to service all the mobile devices ;)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

If I was Microsoft I would be VERY concerned about the exponential increase in computing platform of choice among college students -- I am guessing at least 1 out of every 3 machines in the classroom that I see are Macs, in some venues, like coffee shops, it seems to be closer to 50%. The current generation of young people are NOT enamored with Microsoft. And they are the next generation of consumers. I do think Microsoft has to hit it out of the park; although I am not convinced they have a chance in the mobile market. No matter how "buttery" WP8 might be, its got a huge disadvantage.

Funny, I read an article today where tablets were evolving to become the next platform of choice.

Microsoft's dominance may be over in the next few years.

Kind of reminds me of the robust days before windows was king. Lots of quality choices.

Competition is good.

I still think MS is too little too late. No matter how much money they throw behind it, the only way would be to give away all their phones to customers for a couple of years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)