Verizon's Turn Now (Ending Unlimited Data Plan)

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Verizon Communications Inc. will stop offering unlimited data plans for Apple Inc.’s iPhone as soon as this summer and switch to a tiered pricing offering that can generate more revenue and hold the heaviest users in check.
The carrier, which began selling the iPhone last month, now offers $30 unlimited data service on the device. Such plans on the handset are “not a long-term solution,” Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo said today at a Morgan Stanley conference.
Verizon Wireless Plans to End Unlimited Data Options for Apple's IPhone - Bloomberg

If they are switching to VOIP essentially, then how can they give up the unlimited plan? Can they tell on the LTE when someone is surfing the internet as opposed to making a phone call?

If they are switching to VOIP essentially, then how can they give up the unlimited plan? Can they tell on the LTE when someone is surfing the internet as opposed to making a phone call?

Yes with deep packet inspection they can separate out the voice calls and priority route them to give good voice quality (and count them against your minutes).

DodgerKing said:
How are they able to allow both to occur simultaneously?

The data frequency is separate from voice only when the phone is on 3g. Doesn't work if the phone is operating on Edge

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SatelliteGuys

If You Want That Verizon Unlimited Data Plan, You Really Need to Hurry

June 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm PT

Verizon Wireless, which has said it plans to move away from unlimited data plans for new subscribers, confirms that new tiered options will be the norm starting next month.

<snip>

Enthusiast site Droid Life reported earlier on Monday that Verizon will offer plans ranging from $30 a month for 2GB of data to $80 a month for 10GB of data, with tethering to other devices available for an additional $20, including a further 2GB of data. The site says the new plans will go into effect July 7. Verizon declined to comment on specifics of its new plans.
Verizon Confirms Tiered Data Plans Coming Next Month - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

Basically

2GB – $30/month
5GB – $50/month
10GB – $80/month

Tethering its an extra $20/month with 2GB of additional bandwidth

This is more than what ATT is charging

I believe people with existing unlimited data plans are grandfathered in. Hopefully that is true when Verizon releases specifics about these new plans. If your eligible for an upgrade and you want a new phone now is the time to upgrade while the unlimited data plans are still available.

Last edited:
I am sure they will be grandfathered, just as when ATT did the same thing. ATT also looks for any reason to take away the grandfathered clause. What this ultimately does it prevent people from changing providers. This is one of the reason I will not leave ATT. If I do, I loose my grandfathered PacBell plan (which is much less expensive than any current basic service plan) as well as my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

They could easily make it that you have to upgrade your plan to the newer ones if you upgrade your phone. I wonder how long it will be before this happens.

Once more providers do this, then it will be easier for them to eliminate grandfathered plans as there will be fewer options for customers. Customers will not be able to pick a provider that provides unlimited plans so they will be more likely to stay even if they eliminate these old grandfathered plans

The data frequency is separate from voice only when the phone is on 3g. Doesn't work if the phone is operating on Edge

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SatelliteGuys

Actually that is not the reason...and GSM is not used when you are talking in a 3g area. Its all over the HSPA.

typical phone call take 64k..very minute amount of data

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts