VHF - E & W of me

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Problem I have is 2 VHF Hi stations around 170 degrees to one onother.
One could be received with a rabbitears (with some fiddlin).
The other, not a chance, even with the supposidly strong level that tvfool shows for it.
I ordered a Stellar labs 30-2475 VHF Hi antenna
2425.jpg

But I did not install the upper and lower reflectors hoping to degrade the F/B ratio and aimed it a bit north of of the weaker station. Rear of antenna aims a bit north of the stronger station.
with.jpg

Rear of antenna channel signal - 4 bars (Strong by the TV's description)
Front channel - 5 bars
Well, that worked all winter, until the drizzling rain a few weeks ago.
Signal had been a solid 4 out of 5 bars for ~6 months.
But with the drizzling rain, that extended from past the strong VHF transmitter to past my location to the east, the signal was AWOL. GONE.
The signal level to the front of the antenna, the weaker station, did not change. Still showing 5 bars.
So between showers I removed the last reflector.
without.jpg

Signal levels now show 5 bars for the station 'off the back side' and the station off the front of the antenna. Appears that the forward gain hasn't been affected much while the F/B is degraded greatly.
It's been a couple of weeks and showers have not been a problem, although none have been as wide spread..
All stations have been showing 5/5 on the TV's through showers
FWIW: the bowtie is a Stellar Labs 30-2425 receiving UHF to the south @ around 60 miles.
There's another UHF received that is about 40 degrees east of south. (nearly 'paper clip' strong
The strong VHF is WSW @ 45 miles. and the weaker lower powered is ESE near 35 miles.
Using an RCA TVPRAMP1R to combine antennas and feeding to a 6 way splitter

Hi FaT Air - - That's an interesting story on how taking parts off of your antenna has worked so well for bringing in the two stations that are in opposite directions from each other. Thanks for sharing that.

I have a small Antennas Direct SR-15 pointed north-northwest for two UHF stations that are 30 and 45 miles away, and I've been surprised at how well it's working to receive those stations PLUS several stations to the south that are 5 and 35 miles away. Unlike your situation, it's working with the reflectors left intact.

Reactions: fred555
My stock CM 3020 seems to pull in UHF pretty well from either end.
Pulling in stations 50 miles away off the back end.
Only one VHF station around, includes MeTV, pulling it in off the front.

$_32.JPG
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: DVB-S2
To tell the truth, I was totally surprised that the strong station totally disappeared. It was like GONE for 4+ hours. Couldn't have that, that's the station depended on for wx alerts.
I've put up quite a few 'monster' all channel antennas through the years.
I've also used the Advantage45 (CM3016) in the past for VHF. Just aim, E or W, for best 'balance' between the 2 VHF stations sig level but wanted something smaller, physically, and price as another advantage, & to 'compare with what used previously.
Plus, there's no low band around here any longer. So I settled on the VHF Hi model. Used to have 2 and 4 (actual),
CM3016 says F/B ratio 12db and Fwd gain 7.9 while
the 30-2475 F/B 10-15db and gain 8 to 12. But I don't know what it is now with the reflectors removed, But hey, it seems to work.
I remember, BITD, could call CM for recommendations or a custom designed solution. (Used it a few times) Those days are long gone. But then, we didn't have TVFool, either.

To tell the truth, I was totally surprised that the strong station totally disappeared. It was like GONE for 4+ hours. Couldn't have that, that's the station depended on for wx alerts.
I've put up quite a few 'monster' all channel antennas through the years.
I've also used the Advantage45 (CM3016) in the past for VHF. Just aim, E or W, for best 'balance' between the 2 VHF stations sig level but wanted something smaller, physically, and price as another advantage, & to 'compare with what used previously.
Plus, there's no low band around here any longer. So I settled on the VHF Hi model. Used to have 2 and 4 (actual),
CM3016 says F/B ratio 12db and Fwd gain 7.9 while
the 30-2475 F/B 10-15db and gain 8 to 12. But I don't know what it is now with the reflectors removed, But hey, it seems to work.
I remember, BITD, could call CM for recommendations or a custom designed solution. (Used it a few times) Those days are long gone. But then, we didn't have TVFool, either.

I think if my CM 3020 ever gets damaged I will probably go with the setup similar to what you are using.
I had no idea they made something like the RCA TVPRAMP1R, very interesting.

I could do without VHF totaly if I had to, since I also get MeTV FTA, but I like having backup systems and it is one of my favorite channels.

Used many CM7777's in the past but they don't have it available with separate, U/V, inputs any longer. (Only 'all channel' input)
Found many reviews of this RCA praising it. None negative Most said it's the original CM7777 in an RCA brand plastic enclosure. CM7777 was cast aluminum. Saying even the circuit board was a copy.. So I tried one. I'll use more of them.

Used many CM7777's in the past but they don't have it available with separate, U/V, inputs any longer. (Only 'all chann l' input)
Found many reviews of this RCA praising it. None negative Most said it's the original CM7777 in an RCA brand plastic enclosure. CM7777 was cast aluminum. Saying even the circuit board was a copy.. So I tried one. I'll use more of them.

The separate U/V inputs do intrigue me. You antenna setup is very nice and compact.
My 3020 whips around not unlike a palm tree in a hurricane when heavy winds blow.
Mostly because of the lllooonngg pole its on, trying to get more height.
No damage yet. I just don't look at it anymore when there are high winds.

Could one also join 2 UHF antennas with a spliter into the UHF input and directly connect a VHF to the RCA AMP? I have never joined antennas before and don't know what to expect.
This would probably be my new setup I would try If I had to change out antennas.

Last edited:
I wonder if a dipole would have sufficed.
Yes a plain dipole would work, but only for the stronger VHF channel. The weaker would have been hit and miss. Cannot receive it with the 7 inch digital TV 'up there' but the stronger was steady. Wanted 100% without fading in and out with weather. There's some places in the area where the weaker one is non-existent. Been on many roofs with a battery tv and antenna, in hopes of getting it. Granted, they were analog then, but doubt anything has changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)