Viacast/Vistar 2000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TelStar-5

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
I have a family member who bought 2 of these units off ebay . I took some of my time trying to get one of these units working on telstar5 with no luck. Have any of you ever got any of these units to work ? thanks

welcome :wave

yep, I have mine working on G10 with no issues.

if you are aimed at T5, just follow the programming instructions above :)

Iceberg said:
welcome :wave

yep, I have mine working on G10 with no issues.

if you are aimed at T5, just follow the programming instructions above :)

My budy got it working on TelStar5 iv never herd of G10 can you inlite me

I broke this off the review and moved to regular area

G10 is Galaxy 10, located at 123 degrees west. Telestar 5 (now IA5) is at 97 west. IA5 is mostly non english channels. Galaxy 10 has some of the US Networks on them
You can get all the nets (except NBC) on G10
CBS, ABC (3), FOX (2), WB (4?), UPN (5), UNIV (alot), PAX, Telefutura and a couple others.

There is a company (Equity) that owns these and they run everything from their corporate in Little Rock, Arkansas. They beam everything up from there so we can view these.

You may want to read this thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29301&highlight=viacast

In a nut shell you listed two receives that can get 10 different transponders on upto 10 sats. I have one of these receivers. I bought it off E-bay before getting to this forum. The more moder receivers can hold many more transponders, are pre-programed, and some can scan for new transponders, power/blind search.

To get the receiver working there is some programming that needs to be done.

1. Pick the sat to receive
2. Program a transponder to receive by looking it up at
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html In this case pick IA5
This is Ku band so look for ones 11000 + on the left side.
11836000, V or 13/14 volts, SR 20765

3. Find a signal meter to help point the dish.
http://search.ebay.com/sf-95_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZsf-95
I can be done with the build in meter BUT more time is needed and a compass will help.

4. Use a program like Satfinder to find where the sat are for your zip, or just tell us yours or one near you and someone may post a list of them?

5. Set the elevation of the dish, up and down tilt, make sure the mount (pipe) is plum.

6 Turn the dish until you hear the meter buzz. Turn the knob on the meter down a bit to lower the sensitivity of it and re-point the dish again. NOTE: go to the signal page on the receiver to see what quality you are getting. The strength will most likely stay consistent. The meter get you in the ball park. After that move the dish around REAL slow. Elevation may also need to be changed a bit.

7. Once the quality goes up wait until the channel scan in.

8. Program more transponders in. 10 total. 0-9

Also this receiver can be used on 119W by changing the LO to 11250 so that DTV/Dish Network LNBFs can be used.

TelStar-5 said:
I have a family member who bought 2 of these units off ebay . I took some of my time trying to get one of these units working on telstar5 with no luck. Have any of you ever got any of these units to work ? thanks

Ken
This thread was broke off that review I did :)

He did get it working but he was wondering about G10 :D

Iceberg said:
I broke this off the review and moved to regular area

G10 is Galaxy 10, located at 123 degrees west. Telestar 5 (now IA5) is at 97 west. IA5 is mostly non english channels. Galaxy 10 has some of the US Networks on them
You can get all the nets (except NBC) on G10
CBS, ABC (3), FOX (2), WB (4?), UPN (5), UNIV (alot), PAX, Telefutura and a couple others.

There is a company (Equity) that owns these and they run everything from their corporate in Little Rock, Arkansas. They beam everything up from there so we can view these.

Nice wonder if Los Angles would get the spot beam for G10 ? I aways love messing with new birds . I own a Birdog metter any advice ?

all the KU band satellites (G10, T5, T6, SBS6, etc) are all ConUS (whole US), so you should have no problems picking up G10

For a transponder use 11799000 14 (V) 26660
so it would be programmed
0,1,2, etc
off
off

My Viacast receiver shows a signal strength of 94 and a signal quality of low no matter how much I adjust the dish. It even shows these values even with no LNBF attached. Is this normal when you are not locked onto a satellite?

I just spent 8 hours working on it playing around and still have no picture. I can't wait to see how good the video quality is on these receivers.

where ya located? (zip or general area is fine)

Do you know what satellite is your true south?

thing to remeber is you have to get it close, move it 1/8" at a time and WAIT
(especially on these) before moving on

I live in North Port Florida (Zip 34286).

Using a satellite finder meter, I was able to get a high reading on H channels only aimed at G10 using my StarBand dish. I believe I need to turn the LNBF so that the coax connector faces left or right instead of down in order to get the V channels.

Also like you said, I need to be patient and make small adjustments and wait before moving on.

Does your Viacast receiver show a signal strength of 94 when no LNBF is attached?

Thank you for your help,
Dave

PopcornNMore said:
Does your Viacast receiver show a signal strength of 94 when no LNBF is attached?

Mine did before I gave up on it, however now that I have a blindscan reciever, and a better system of finding satellites, I will work on finding G10 tomorrow morning, and hook up the Viacast to get some exact settings for you.

To make sure my Viacast DVB receiver is working correctly is it possible to hook up my DirecTV dish and LNB pointing to 101 into my Viacast receiver and changing the LO frequency setting to 11250000?

If this is possible, please let me know what channel and frequency settings I should enter.

Dave

There is nothing DVB at 101 (at least on circular)

If you were pointing at 110 or 119, then you could pick up the Dish stuff there, and view some Gol TV (on 110) or NasaTV (on 119)

Does anyone have an electronic version of the users manual for the Viacast receiver? I have been doing searches on the internet and had no luck finding one.

Thank You,
Dave

OK…you true south is Nimiq2 at 82

Hopefully you have a DBS LNB around…..because if you do then you can use a TP there

0,1,2,etc
11250000 (change from 10750000)
Off
Off

There is a preview channel on 193 : )

Settings are 58.5 elevation, 184.6 azimuth 0 skew

If you don’t have a DBS around, then you’ll have to use AMC5 at 79
11742 V 11110 (hopefully you know how to enter it by now…frequency polarity symbol rate)

Elevation is 58.3 azimuth 176 skew is -6

Thank you Iceberg and Ultatryon for all your help.

Yes, Iceberg I do know how to enter the frequencies into the Viacast receiver. I got lots of practice today and learned so much from the guys here at satelliteguys.us.

Dave

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)