video quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

audiofilius

Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Is the picture quality pretty much the same with all the FTA digital receivers? I have a coship receiver. The picture is pretty good, except I notice that as the image is moving, as in a sports event, its quality is not as good. Is this a result of the processor not being fast enough?

All receivers are not created equal, but picture wise they are much the same. (Has a lot to do with your TV) Some channels just do not spend as much money on bandwidth so some channels look GREAT and some not so great. But from receiver to receiver there is not too much difference in picture quality. (IMO)

Best picture quality I have seen is from a Traxis receiver, does not have all the bells and whistles, but a great picture!

(That was of course until I got the DVB world card and seen FTA HD!)

I think a lot of it has to do with the source material and the encoding equipment. A lot of regular TV channels (not HD channels) seem to have about a 2Mb stream. Some channels are very sharp and crisp and others are very poor. Star Tv Network on IA7 seems to have one of the worst video quality pictures. Some of their material comes from a Sony Combo DVD/VCR player. The Sony screen was displayed for a while. (or it was digitally captured from someone playing the material on their sony combo machine) A lot of their programming is from very old material, most likely films that are far from first generation copies, and of poor quality. Their encoding seems to be very hit and miss. Sometimes it has a great deal of blocking on the display, even with their add material or paid programing which should have very good source material. This is confusing as they only have one video channel and one audio channel on that mux. They certainly could do a lot better on bandwidth and encoding. RTN on G10R has used what appears to be a DVD for its source of Hogans Hereos, as once it had the picture of the mouse pointer moving and selecting the title displayed. This picture was very good for this show. The bit rates of both these programs were not too different, but the picture quality had an extreme difference.

Some of the newer receivers have component out, Coolsat 5000, Pansat 3500, probably others as well. I noticed quite a difference going from a Pansat 2500A S-VHS video out, to the component out video on the Coolsat. Its a noticeable improvement

component video...

Naturally, component video is superior to S-video. S-video lacks the bandwidth that component video has for colors. It's much easier for your television set to take a component signal and convert to RGB for the CRT to display. With S-video, some of the color signal bandwidth has to be sacrificed at the cost of multiplexing them onto one carrier signal. S-video is Y/CR meaning one lead wire inside the S-video cable is dedicated to luminance (Y signal which is light) which produces your picture without color while the other lead wire in the cable handles the color signal that is modulated onto one signal (CR or color). Of course this is superior to composite cable (yellow cable that has both signals in a S-video cord except for the fact that the two signals are in turn modulated onto one carrier signal and then demodulated into a separate light and color signal) Component proves to be superior to all except RGB, RGBHV, DVI and HDMI signals.

Component carries 3 separate wires for signals. One is red color coded (red color signal), One is blue color coded (blue color signal), and the last one is green color coded (luminance signal. Due to the fact that the color signal is further separated into blue and red, the colors are richer in part because there is a higher amount of signal reaching your television on these colors than through S-video. In order to get the green signal, your television subtracts the luminance signal from the other two colors and is able to get the correct calculation of green coloring in the picture. (You've probably seen this on the back of your dvd play in the form of Y-Cb-Cr or luminance minus the color blue minus the color red)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How To Read LyngSat

all new to me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)