Viewing recorded content when account suspended...

cj9788

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Miami, FL
I fell on some hard times and couldn't pay dish. I was not able to keep up with the instalments and of my service got shut off rightly so.

I can not acsess any recordings on any of my DVR's. The last time this happened a couple of years ago I could still watch recorded content. I presume they now disable the recorded content but just wanted to make sure or see if there is a way to get around this.

It's my fault for not keeping up payments I realise this. I just found it strange the recorded content is blocked.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It should be unavailable if in a non pay disconnect. All services, other than the channels that pay to be on Dish, should be unavailable, and all services, including DVR service should be unavailable.

I did not realize a suspended account and an account on pause had different outcomes. Can't offer anything more than Chad did on that. If you can get caught up on payments have you tried going to the lowest $20 welcome pack package? If that is doable you would then have your recordings restored, still get locals and a few other channels. Hope things improve for you.

With a closed account, not a paused one, after he signs up again under a new account #:

Would the recordings on the internal HDD of the DVR be viewable under the new account #?

Would the EHDs be viewable (I doubt his very much)?

With a closed account, not a paused one, after he signs up again under a new account #:

Would the recordings on the internal HDD of the DVR be viewable under the new account #?

No. The key would change. There is a way for it to be possible, but it involves a system in the deep back office.

Tampa, it used to not be. It has changed atleast 3 times since 2013. Also, different receivers has been different responses at different times. The 625 was the first affected, if I'm not mistaken. It was followed by the Hopper, but then some Hoppers went back to allowing it. It has been a mess since the first day they announced they were going to do that. Unfortunately, as with many things, I am just guessing based on previous rules I knew about, and what the OP described. What he described is exactly what they said would happen in 2013.

Reactions: Tampa8
Thanks for the info. I tried removing the sat input but it didn't work. I suppose once they pinged (or what ever It's called) the recovers to shut down it will stay that way till I catch up.

I should have dropped to the welcome pack when my troubles first started but coulda shoulda woulda ain't gonna help.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Tampa8 and ChadT41
It is just tv, and there is nothing really worth watching anyway. Whatever you miss there are other ways to watch them.
Get back on your feet, the tv will be there when you do. GL.

Reactions: satjay

I was thinking he was suspended, and shut off, not account ended.

Thanks for the info. I tried removing the sat input but it didn't work. I suppose once they pinged (or what ever It's called) the recovers to shut down it will stay that way till I catch up.

You was still receiving programming when you disconnected the satellite receiver?

It is just tv, and there is nothing really worth watching anyway. Whatever you miss there are other ways to watch them.
Get back on your feet, the tv will be there when you do. GL.

Yes, it's just TV, but it's the principle of the thing, which is insane and idiotic. You have the right to record whatever you want to record. The method of such recordings should be irrelevant. DRM represents a complete absence of fundamental logic in the halls of power, and that should be frightening as hell.

Yes, it's just TV, but it's the principle of the thing, which is insane and idiotic. You have the right to record whatever you want to record. The method of such recordings should be irrelevant. DRM represents a complete absence of fundamental logic in the halls of power, and that should be frightening as hell.
I think it is BS too, just trying to be supportive of the OP's situation.

They used to leave the OTA tuner enabled when the box was shut off, they disable that also.

Basically if your not paying your dish bill they want you to be completely without tv so you have an inventive to pay your bill.

After all they don't want you watching Dvr or ota channels.

That appears to be the case. DISH isn't obligated to allow watching anything that was recorded using their software. The content is still there but you no longer have access to their software to watch it since you are not a paying customer. That said, this is a time where DISH could allow recorded content to be watched "just because." DISH is here to make money, I want them to make money so I can use their product, I can also see some things that can be allowed and this is one of them. If the receiver is not owned it has to go back anyway in a few days. If owned, maybe allowing recorded shows to be watched would have a customer more likely to return as a paying customer at some point. If it is true DISH is adding HD to the Welcome package, that is probably the last effort to keep someone. If they just can't swing that payment I guess it's time to just move on.

They used to leave the OTA tuner enabled when the box was shut off, they disable that also.

Basically if your not paying your dish bill they want you to be completely without tv so you have an inventive to pay your bill.

After all they don't want you watching Dvr or ota channels.
Makes sense. Business sense. Not fond of it, but I've got to admit it makes sense. If I were to drop Dish, I'd have to madly record several EHDs first- further incentive to stay

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts