VIP 922 and EHD Authorization

Brucegrr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
Ney, Ohio
I bought a brand new 1tb EHD for my VIP 922. The 922 recognized the drive and formatted it. However, when I try to access the drive it says that the EHD must be authorized. After several reboots, connect, unconnect the EHD I finally called Dish.

The CSR told me this is a known bug in the 922. She said that there is no authorization code for them to send because the 922 is supposed to be activated by default. (plug and play) She escalated my problem.

Any suggestions? Is the CSR correct about there being a bug?

Western Digital is what I have I doubt that's the issue, Dish until very recently charged a 40 dollar one time activation fee, that has ended. I bought mine recently, plugged it in, went to menu, media transfer, it showed up, formatted it and away I went.
The catchall for the 922 seems to be reboot, either a hard (pull the plug) or soft (red button). That's worth a try.
The Dish reps here are helpful, they would be able to check the Dish webpage strangeness also: TonyT@DISH Network, is one.

I have noticed problems with the ehd activation/authorization now that dish has made it free and no code to put on code. So I would say what the csr said is correct.

My EHD is fully functional yet on my personal "equipment page" at the Dish site it still states "not enabled" for the 922. Obviously the system has not caught up.

Just got my 922 on Friday (so far loving it...) Before I got the 922 I wanted to back up my old programming, so when I scheduled the appt, asked to activate the EHD option on my 622 as per the www site it said call to activate for free. But she said "I know it's free, but it keeps telling me it's $40." So I figured I'd call back and try again later. Called back, again got the same story, then she says "Hold on..." comes back a minute later "Turns out you can just plug it in and it works, ignore the www site." She was right. Same with the 922; plugged it in and it just worked.

Interesting to note my Tech was actually really good compared to past ones and knew the 922 quite well. But he didn't realize it was free either...

-Mike

In my case there is a bug that is keeping the 922 from showing the drive as authorized. (on the Dish website it shows as not authorized) The 922 shows the drive as connected but not authorized. (the 922 formatted the drive)

I called Dish again today and was told they are still trying to figure out a fix for this problem. I am beginning to wonder if the problem is not the 922 at all but a problem with how things are set up on Dish's end.

So, far, this is not a big problem. The 922 is new so I have lots of space left. However, I do expect the 922 to operate as advertised.

Do you have another ViP receiver on your account? 612, 622, 722 or 722k? Try hooking the drive to that receiver and transferring a program onto it. Then plug it into the 922. This has helped me a few times. Good luck.

Do you have another ViP receiver on your account? 612, 622, 722 or 722k? Try hooking the drive to that receiver and transferring a program onto it. Then plug it into the 922. This has helped me a few times. Good luck.

Tried it with the 612 and it said it needed to be authorized. Once again the DVR recognized the drive but wouldn't allow access because it needed to be authorized. So.......this says to me it is not the receivers but likely on Dish's end, something with my account.

I will give them a few more days and call again.

Tried it with the 612 and it said it needed to be authorized. Once again the DVR recognized the drive but wouldn't allow access because it needed to be authorized. So.......this says to me it is not the receivers but likely on Dish's end, something with my account.

I will give them a few more days and call again.
Sorry you are still in this situation, perhaps Dish can chime in here...I would be the squeaky wheel and call, that's what they get paid to do, isn't it......? service the customers.

Yesterday, the fix was finally made. I can now access and use my EHD.

Of course I don't know WHAT Dish fixed but I am glad it is taken care of.

DISH RENEWS CONTRACT WITH ANTENNA for Greek programming

Can I put 1 single and 1 dual reciever on a DPP Twin Pro Plus LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)