VIP Receiver Retirement

Thanks all for the clarification. Dish wouldn't sell me a 211z, so I bought it and a Playmaker from a private party. I know the Wally is a better unit, but I was afraid of all the reports it needed all three sats in sight to work. I wish Dish would sell a multi-tuner/dual-output receiver that is powered directly from 12volts - the RV market keeps expanding and such a unit would be a perfect fit..

Reactions: pattykay
I see what you did there Navychop. We saw what happened with the Legacy receivers like the 2800/3800, and DishPro receivers 301, 721 and 942 in the past. First they (E*) purged them, and now they are threatening to purge the ViPs..... What next? 625, 311, 322, any more left, Dish [E*]?
512 and 522, off the top of my head. (Waiting for navychop to make a William Tell reference. :D )

Reactions: navychop
The 522 and 625 are effectively the 'same' receiver to Dish (similar to how they lump the 622, 722, and 722k together).

Was the 512 a crippled version of the 522 ? The second and third digit spec'd the number of TV outputs and number of tuners (not necessarily in that order though - I don't remember the order).

The 522 and 625 are effectively the 'same' receiver to Dish (similar to how they lump the 622, 722, and 722k together).

Was the 512 a crippled version of the 522 ? The second and third digit spec'd the number of TV outputs and number of tuners (not necessarily in that order though - I don't remember the order).
512 is a "solo" version of the 522, locked in single mode to justify charging a lower additional receiver fee than they charge for a "duo" even though both tuners still work.

Reactions: EchostarFan
The same way the 612 is a solo output, dual tuner DVR. It services it’s purposes.
Right, but the 612 was designed that way, with no TV2 output or PIP feature. Dish realized that they needed a standard-def equivalent, so instead of making a new receiver from scratch, they broke functionality in refurbished 522's to make the 512. As a nice bonus, the 512 does still have PIP, along with a two-hour buffer. For those reasons, I always prefer a 512 over a 612, in spite of the 512 being SD-only.

I need to get my 722's out of the closet and take them to recyclers. Probably keep the 211's for a bit longer. I was going to give one to my niece for her tailgater, but I wasn't here last time she came home. Maybe at Christmas.
If one of those are working im interested in at least one! My 722 is being funky and may not last much longer. Will be in Tulsa often to watch my St. Louis Blues farm ECHL team play this winter.

If one of those are working im interested in at least one! My 722 is being funky and may not last much longer. Will be in Tulsa often to watch my St. Louis Blues farm ECHL team play this winter.

just let me know and you can have it. I'm out in South BA/Tulsa. Unless something comes up, Ill be gone for most of the last 2 weeks of Dec, but otherwise I'm usually around.

I'm sorry this is a dumb business decision.

They need to get rid of all the SD equipment (311, 322, 522/625) before they even consider going after VIP equipment.

As long as the receiver can do 8PSK, MPEG4 then there is no reason to retire it.

Unless the Kangaroo garbage [Hopper] is capable of MPEG8 with 16PSK or whatever better chip set to handle higher compression, then there is no Point in phasing it out.

Well, E* needs to make dramatic changes to the 625, 522, 322 and 311 receiver designs, drastically replace and remove unnecessary parts, and add stuff that would make them 8PSK compatible (I doubt that it would happen -- because Kangaroo Garbage... cough.... Hopper) then they would not make VIP receivers obsolete.

Well, E* needs to make dramatic changes to the 625, 522, 322 and 311 receiver designs, drastically replace and remove unnecessary parts, and add stuff that would make them 8PSK compatible (I doubt that it would happen -- because Kangaroo Garbage... cough.... Hopper) then they would not make VIP receivers obsolete.
I’m sure you are still using rotary dial telephones too....

:confused: I thought all of those receivers were already 8PSK receivers! I'm looking at the Echostar Knowledge Base here: EKB: Receiver Comparison Chart

:confused: I thought all of those receivers were already 8PSK receivers! I'm looking at the Echostar Knowledge Base here: EKB: Receiver Comparison Chart
In the post that EchostarFan was replying to, Claude said 8PSK, MPEG4. The listed receivers are 8PSK, MPEG2.
I'm sorry this is a dumb business decision.

They need to get rid of all the SD equipment before they even consider going after VIP equipment.

As long as the receiver can do 8PSK, MPEG4 then there is no reason to retire it.

Unless the Kangaroo garbage is capable of MPEG8 with 16PSK or whatever better chip set to handle higher compression, then there is no Point in phasing it out.

I’m sure you are still using rotary dial telephones too....

LOL:oldlaugh The problem is, we do not have a rotary phone in the house, unfortunately. :(

He has to, since he broke the telescopic antenna off his cordless phone

Well, we don't use the cordless phone very often, so every now and then, we need to be more gentle to it. :) :)

Now back to the Dish Receiver Replacement..... :)))

Reactions: HipKat and pattykay
The external will be viewable by any DVR on your account, even later models. Works well.

Internal? Well, I'll just say Yahoo Dishrip.

Dishrip stuff doesn't work with mpeg4. The ONLY way to recover it, is to hook up a capture device to the video outputs, play back in real time, and record on the capture device, such as a Hauppauge PVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)