VIP222k software update question (out of curiousity)

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
I don't own a 222k but I do have a question for 222k owners (perhaps DIRT or Scott can answer as well). I looked at the Dish Software chart ( https://rweb.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/softwarelist.asp ) and I noticed that for the 222k, Dish released software update number L590 last Friday. The last update before that was number L398. Usually, the software update numbers don't change that much unless the last update was a major one. So my question for 222k owners who received this update is this: Did this update include the new features that are suppose to be coming to all VIP receivers that I mentioned like 2 months ago? ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/245104-some-menu-changes-coming-vip-receivers.html ). And if it did include those new features, are they working properly without any problems?

***EDIT AFTER CONFIRMATION*** The big difference will not be noticed by those with working receivers. If one, however, is RA'd, the difference will be solidly established in the activation of the new receiver. Basically, it is a "Setup Wizard" that was scheduled to roll out on the receivers. Being the limited number of 222Ks in the field, it was the perfect platform to release this software update into the wild. With a broadband connection and the like, a customer can roll through the Wizard much quicker to activate the replacement.

Remote programming and video resolution setup seems to be one of the big things, with activation, check switch, and other things like that being handled more efficient without a phone call due to "swap" problems. The software I believe is scheduled to be put on boxes as they roll through service (so long as they get a certain version of factory software installed). Limited release right now it looks like, confirmed with a "software" changes list. It's basically a 7 step process to receiver activation rather then having the printed instructions on paper. The only time it will prompt a call is if the receiver does not sense an active broadband (phone?) connection.

I believe there is a way to access the setup wizard via the menu. Gonna head back and test it out here in a bit. Gonna kill the box to factory.

Also, if the software release dramatically reduces the number of calls based on add/swap receivers, then it should spread further to more platforms. Its a test release.

Last edited:
Checked into it a little bit, and it looks like my receiver has 3.98 on it... DOH! Seeing if I can get an update to the new one pushed to the box. By the way, in answer to your original question, ckhalil18, it does look like the 5.90 holds the key to the "feature changes" as well. I do not see them on the other...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)