Vip622 volume

brittmer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 3, 2003
Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to the 622 and have my OTA antenna connected for HD since Dish does not carry my locals in HD.

My problem is that if I am wathcing a Dish channel and then I switch to an OTA HD channel, the volume is very low and I need to turn it up. Then when I go back to a Dish channel, the volume is very loud.

I used to be able to regulate this through my A/V receiver when using a set-top box for HD but now everything comes through the 622.

Is there anywhere in the 622 that I can set the volume to be the same when switching from OTA HD and Dish?

Thanks.

Bruce

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Not really. Is your OTA in 5.1? Those programs tend to be lower in volume and require adjustment.

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
I've noticed that certain channels are louder than others. Even some commericials come on that are REALLY loud. I figured it was betweed HD and SD content.

FWGMills

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 1, 2003
Roanoke, TX
It is the difference between PCM audio and DD audio. I've noticed the same thing when I switch between a PCM dish channel (most dish channels) and a DVD. Content that is encoded with a Dolby Digital track tend to have a lower overall volume level to allow for headroom...a.k.a. the big explosion in 24 or the car crash in Law and Order. When I watch a show on the History channel, for instance, I keep my receiver around 35-40. When I watch an HD show either on the 6000s for my locals or OTA I have to crank the volume up to around 50. Same thing for DVDs...around 50.

Most audio on Dish Network is PCM 48Khz. The music channels are PCM 44.1Khz. The Dish Network HD content is Dolby Digital 5.1. In DFW most OTA digital locals are DD 5.1 with the exception of NBC 5 which is DD 2.0.

StLouis99

Apr 3, 2007
So there is no way around this?
I just noticed in the past few days with my 622 a huge volume difference between SD and HD channels. When watching a HD channel barely loud enough to hear, then switch to SD channel, it is so loud that it scares me!

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Dolby digtial sound (low)vs pcm(loud) is the reason for the difference. Also with the last software update , every time a timer kicks in on the other tuner my sound blairs loudly on the tuner I am watching. THis is a bug that needs to be fixed.

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
Switch to RF Mode.

Here's Dish's description:

• Line Mode - When you use this setting, in comparison to RF Mode, the dynamic range is wider, which makes the music and loud noises louder, but voices quieter.

• RF Mode - When you use this setting, in comparison with Line Mode, the dynamic range is narrower, which makes music and loud noises quieter, but voices louder.

Menu-->System Setup-->Dolby Digital.

Although it is annoying, I believe to hear the way it was intended to be heard, Line Mode is best. But again...it is annoying when switching channels between HD and SD content as the volume jumps and falls considerably.

StLouis99

Apr 3, 2007
This has only happened within the past day or two... And changing the RF/line does not help much at all. Has anyone else noticed this sudden volume difference between HD/SD just in the past couple days?

Grandude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA
Dolby digtial sound (low)vs pcm(loud) is the reason for the difference. Also with the last software update , every time a timer kicks in on the other tuner my sound blairs loudly on the tuner I am watching. THis is a bug that needs to be fixed.
This bug has been there prior to the new L4.01 and 4.03. It seems to me though that now there is a bigger difference in DD5.1 and PCM, so much so that it is almost dangerous to my speaker system. (and my ear drums)

I'm convinced that they have made some change in the DD5.1 sound. Last night while watching Shark I looked around to see why my wife was making strange noises off to my left and discovered she wasn't even there. Turned out to be sound from my side speaker. Footsteps, dishes rattling, etc. Very noticeable compared to before 4.03 downloaded.

I wonder if this is related to Dish finally getting 5.1 on HDMI which I don't use as my TV and AV receiver don't have HDMI inputs.:confused:

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I am using toslink cable to my a/v receiver and not hdmi cable for sound. I have an hdmi a/v receiver that will receive my hdmi output from my sat receiver then outputs it by hdmi to dvi adapter to my tv. I use rca jacks for my sound for the hdtv and coax to the computer room for my sd tv there. I notice this each time a timer kicks in and it just about knocks me out of my seat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts