VIP622 works for a few hours then keeps rebooting

kc2dnw

Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Northern NY
I know I have seen threads on this before but I have had a VIP622 for 7 years now and never touched it. Last night it kept doing the reboot so I unplugged it and left it for a few hours. It came back up and ran all night and was able to watch the news this morning. Now when I just got home it was doing the reboot over and over thing again. Unplugged for an hour and then it came on but only for about 5 minutes and now it's just rebooting again.

Any ideas to fix it? If not what are my options as I do not have time to upgrade or anything, just need it to work as it was.

Pull out the power cord, then take the top cover off and unplug the internal harddrive which is in the top middle. You'll have to reach under the drive mounting plate to carefully unplug it. Then, plug the receiver back in and see if it works without rebooting. Obviously, you won't be able to access recordings. IF it continues to work, the reboots are caused by a bad drive. If it still reboots, there's something else wrong.

You can buy and replace it with the specific drive it takes (no others will work) OR, you can contact Dish to have them swap your receiver out with another one. That's usually the best way to go now even if you own the receiver. You'd still own the replacement one.

If your receiver is leased, I advise you to NOT do the above. Contact DIRT or Dish for a replacement. If you have an EHD, transfer recordings you want to it while it is operational. You never want to open up and tinker with leased equipment.

Is your receiver connected to the wall directly or to a surge protector? Please send me a PM with your account or phone number and I can assist you in getting this resolved!

I know I have seen threads on this before but I have had a VIP622 for 7 years now and never touched it. Last night it kept doing the reboot so I unplugged it and left it for a few hours. It came back up and ran all night and was able to watch the news this morning. Now when I just got home it was doing the reboot over and over thing again. Unplugged for an hour and then it came on but only for about 5 minutes and now it's just rebooting again.

Any ideas to fix it? If not what are my options as I do not have time to upgrade or anything, just need it to work as it was.
After 7 years it may have built up a layer of dust inside that is causing overheating, or the cooling fan may have died. I would go to my garage and use the air compressor to blow the unit out, maybe all you have is a vacuum but use what you have.

Using an air compressor to blow it out can cause enough static electricity build up to fry it for sure. Do NOT do this!

If you must, you can use "canned air" to blow it out, and do so very lightly and carefully.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts