Vista update KB979683 problem solved...with MSFT Essentials

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I have a laptop with Vista on it, I always ran AVG free and Malwarebytes on it. I have rid malware on that laptop a couple of times. A problem remained..I could not install Microsoft Security Update KB 979683...and other updates failed as well.

Again I ran a complete scan with AVG and Malwarebytes this morning...result was negative. Still would not update that critical Microsoft Update. I did a search on that security update , then found a clue on a Microsoft site. It says a particular virus will keep Vista from updating the security updates.

So I decided to uninstall AVG and installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead..and ran a scan...sure enough it found "Alureon.A" which is a severe threat according to Microsoft. Microsoft Security Essentials disinfected the threat and then did a restart and I was able to do the rest of Microsoft Security Updates.

While I am not putting down AVG or Malwarebytes (I think they are both excellent programs...for the most part. However they didn't get everything. Microsoft Security Essentials got the rest that the others did not.

Since my other computers do not have problems downloading the MSFT updates (they are XP SP3) I have to assume that those computers should be OK.

From what I gather, MSFT Essentials will provide realtime security for Internet Explorer only...But not Firefox (If I understand correctly) . I prefer Firefox. I wonder I should go back to AVG on the Vista machine.

Any thoughts or advice?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
From what I gather, MSFT Essentials will provide realtime security for Internet Explorer only...But not Firefox...
I don't use Firefox but do use Chrome.
No discrimination between IE and Chrome by MSE from my experience...

I use MSE since it was released. Updated to v.2 Beta two weeks ago.
As long as your Windows license is legit, it should do the job. The job of both, antivirus and malware protection.
Smaller footprint, faster scans, fewer false positives...

Runs on servers, too.

Diogen.

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
My guess is that avg is your weak link. Try avast instead with occasional scans of malwarebytes. You definitely want to stick with firefox to keep ad block plus (that actually works). I have considered trying mse but have read comparisons of the free antivirus programs and avast comes out on top. This has been my real world experience with avast vs avg. I have windows defender on all my computers and it has never, ever found anything. If defender doesn't do squat and microsoft's constant os security updates don't block a certain virus why should I trust their mse to do it?

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
Microsoft is the thing in common between defender and mse. If their antispyware doesn't block spyware what does that say about the performance of their antivirus?

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
Smaller footprint, faster scans, fewer false positives...
....than what? Have you tried avast? How do avast and mse compare? I'm not giving you a hard time. I'd seriously like to see a comparison of each on the same machine but don't trust mse enough to do it myself for the reasons listed above. I have read that mse gives fewer false positives than some programs but it also gives fewer genuine positives as well.

For me, the firefox thing would be a deal breaker and ad block plus does not work (as well) in other browsers as noted here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/compute...6-chrome-browser-latest-beta-has-flash-2.html

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
....than what? Have you tried avast? How do avast and mse compare?
Yes, I did. Both, the free and paid for. Also Trend and Norton Corporate. Conclusion - just as good.

There are two main points that made me switch: zero effect on startup/shutdown times and doing malware at the same time.
Compared with Malwarebites - same efficiency while faster.

There will be edge cases.
And if you have to have Firefox with its add-ons, you might be living on that edge. Not me.

Diogen.

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
The thing is, if I didn't have any issue with downloading the Vista security updates. I would not have tried Microsoft Security Essentials. Then I would not have known about the Alureon rootkit. So I might check my other computers (with XP SP3) with Microsoft Essentials to see if it will pickup anything else that AVG and Malwarebytes might have missed.

RKill (Malware stopper utility) and Malwarebytes (removes it) have done really good job in getting rid of the malware. AVG has (mostly) worked in catching Malware, but it has missed some things like the rootkit.

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
Then I would not have known about the Alureon rootkit.
This could be one of those edge cases. Malwarebytes is supposed to catch it
How to remove Google Redirects or the TDSS, TDL3, or Alureon rootkit using TDSSKiller

It could be just a signature update issue - MSE got it first for a new variant...

I do not claim MSE being better than others.
Only that it isn't worse and has less impact on the system.

And to really test impact, install it on a netbook...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts