VOD/Problem/My Ignorance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tholt

Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Ok...so, I finally had an HD DVR installed about a month ago, and I've already decided I don't know how I ever got along without it. Yesterday, I finally decided to try out VOD. I downloaded a TV show and it worked just fine. Then I thought, "what the heck...let's try an HD movie."

I know that they are not free, in most instances, and the one I picked (GI Joe) certainly wasn't. I looked it up on the On-Demand home screen and chose the "Play" option. Was not told, nor was I asked about any fee. The movie played great and I was amazed at the quality (much better than the HD PPV), except that at 7 minutes in, it stopped with the message "searching for authorized content". And it kept doing that, bringing up the timeline of the movie, and it would search to the end and recycle through it again. After about 5 minutes of this, it would just stop and kick me back to "live" TV.

I tried it again this morning with a different movie, but the exact same thing happened.

Now, I do NOT have a phone line hooked up to the receiver (I do not have a land line; cell only)...is this the problem? I thought it might be, but could not find anywhere on the DirecTV website that would allow me to "pay" for a VOD movie.

So...what's going on? Do I need a phone line hookup for VOD movies (if so, this really sucks)? Is there a way on-line to "pay" for them (could only find options for paying for PPV, but nothing for VOD)?

Thanks,

Tony

You get a free preview of VOD's that cost money and live PPV's. After that it has to authorize for a payment. Without a phone line or internet connection hooked up, you have to call directv or go to their web site to pay for and authorize ppv's. Not sure how that works for VOD's.

I was of the impression that if you hooked up a network connection to the box, that would 100% replace the phone line functionality. Maybe it hasnt been hooked up long enough or theres some sort of other issue at hand.

I had this exact problem several months ago, had to basically tell the CSR im a tech, stop telling me to reset the box, what they ended up doing for me was turning my IPPV on even though I didnt have a phoneline, but I assured her I was on a SWM setup, and that I would run a phoneline on my next day off... Which I actually did for call id purposes. If you wanted to be a major dick, you could call directv and tell them your installer didnt run a phone line, you need a phone line installed. Depending on how hard it is, the installer may or may not be really pissed off, and depending on how you want it installer, there may or may not be additional charges to you from the installer.

As cfb said, you don't need a phone connection if you are connected to the internet.

When I have downloaded a VOD, the $ icon is displayed and it asks me when I start playing it if I want to pay for it.

I am wondering if you are having a glitch with your internet connection. Try downloading the entire movie before playing it.

You don't need a phone line but you may need to call and have your account authorized for VOD. That should have been done automatically but sometimes it isn't.

Everyone...thanks for the tips. My Internet connection is working just fine. I've been able to download some TV shows and even a "free" movie and watch them without a hitch.

Wildbill129...I would try and re-download the movies that I am having a problem with, but there is no option to do so. I am under the impression that these movies have already been downloaded "in the background", as this is something I've heard that VOD does sometimes. There is a white checkmark in a green circle next to the $ icon in the VOD movie list, and when I select this movie, the only choices I am given are "play, purchases (which just takes me to a list of past purchases) and done".

I think calling them and having my account "authorized" for VOD sounds like the next step. I will do so tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks again for the help.

Tony

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR20 sound drop out issues

HR20-700 Channel Change Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)