VOIP and HughesNet HN7740

FlashBob

Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hi, I'm a HughesNet Dealer thru RS&I and am serving a small community of 35 homes and businesses. This community is unique in that it is located in a wilderness area where there is no telephone or cell service.

Each home has a HughesNet DW6000 or DW7000 system installed. Naturally, there is intense interest in getting VOIP operational over their HughesNet systems. I have had considerable experience with testing VOIP over the existing consumer VSAT systems (Direcway, Hughesnet, Starband, Wildblue) and know that it does not work reliably enough to use as a primary telephone line.

In the Spring of 2006 in their "Channels Magagzine"
(http://www.hughes.com/HUGHES/Rooms/...Entity[OID[2794223210DD904EA1C081F86EB8BB53]] )
Hughes announced the HN7740 VOIP & Broadband Modem with avaliability in the 2nd half of 2006.

Is there anyone out there that can give me inside information on the avaliability on this Modem? I would like to be first in line to test the Modem so I am looking for advise on contacts at Hughes, RS&I or Perfect10 to get my foot in the door early.....anybody have any suggestions?

I would appreciate your help

WildTech@Hughes.net

Last edited:
:) although expensive it probably works very well being its marketed to med to large businesses. but i have only the same experience as you. i have a dw6000 with a vonage router. with limited problems, but never totally reliable. i beta tested the hn7000s and will get the hn7700s to try on a different sat. i will post how it does with vonage later this week. my vonage at this point works well with webvt and dish network dial up services. i have tried it on my computer also with no problems. i have never not been able to call out just the lag time gets extremely high and people complain they cannot hear you. 80% of the time no problems and then i use a cell phone as back up. they have a no connection no answer call forwarding. so if it is down calls automatically forward to my cell phone. good luck! check back later this week i'l post results from the hn7700s!

Thanks for the speedy reply hobojoe. I was wondering if you are commissioning the HN7000 on the new S2 bird IA6? I understand the HN7000 is backward compatible with the other birds but most comfortable on IA6. I have one HN7000 on GR4 but see no difference to the DW7000 on the same bird. Unfortunately that site had no view of IA6 so I could not test it there. I was hoping the IA6 connection would go thru the new NOC Hughes is supposed to be setting up for the S2 birds and have Voice Packet Priortizing so we could get off the ground with reliable VOIP. Any thoughts?

:) I'm getting the hn7700s for a beta maint test on IA8. Tate knows a lot more about this sat than me. but its my understanding not only will it not work at full speed on others its only a few transponders also. they market the voip to med to large businesses so it has to work! give them a few more months to get this hn models out and running smoothly. i think it will work for your situation. sounds like a very nice comunity! away from all the traffic and city influences. a friend lives in one, the only way to get there is by plane the main road is a runway. its a group of thirty private pilots. mostly like him a major airline pilot.:tux:richie rich$$$

If they can get VOIP to work on broadband satellite then they could get a lot more business. That would probably get me to sign up for the service at that point.

FlashBob said:
I understand the HN7000 is backward compatible with the other birds but most comfortable on IA6. I have one HN7000 on GR4 but see no difference to the DW7000 on the same bird.

Yes the HN7000s will work on any bird. It will only work in DVB-S2 on IA6, the others it will only work as a DW7000.

pulled this off the Hughes site.
DVB-S2 provides 30% additional bandwidth over DVB-S primarily from its higher order modulation options and LDPC coding. Adding on ACM and DVB-S2 can provide as much as 50-60% additional bandwidth over DVB-S.

* 8PSK Coding => Higher Throughputs
o Up To 121 Mbps On A 54 Mhz Transponder
o DVB-S2 Supports QPSK As Well

* LDPC => Improved Efficiency
o Better Than “Turbocodes”
o Improved Bandwidth Efficiency With New LDPC Coding
+ Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) Is Much More Efficient Than Convolutional FEC+ Reed Solomon OR Turbocode

* Adaptive Coding And Modulation => Higher Efficiency + Availability
o Ability To Dynamically Adjust Outroute FEC Coding And Modulation On Outroute Based On Feedback From Remotes (ACM)
+ Improved Availability In Rain/Geographic Region

:) just got the new hn7700s today! well yesterday its already 1210am. it works fantastic with voip no problems at all! it even has a built in router and phone port!

hobojoe,
is the voip still working well? I have a bunch of people living off grid, would be a great selling point. Using Votage I assume?

:) yes it is! the phone port on the hn7700s is for return dial. i thought it was a built in voip. which hughes does have. but i use vonage with no problems for webtv and fax. the delay does get high at times on voice calls. making it sound as if your on a ship to shore call. you really have to speak then wait till they are completely done then reply. i would say it does this 10-15% of the time. the rest of the time it works very well. i use my cell phone as back up.

What do I have? my modem says DW7000 IP.S on the front. I live in the "fringe" in Florida and have lost signal strength from 86 to 54 on the G4R bird transponder 970 since mid august. Do I need to upgrade to the HN7000S; and if so what bird is the best to be on for Florida?

Thanks

G4r Swap

sunblock90 said:
I live in the "fringe" in Florida and have lost signal strength from 86 to 54 on the G4R bird transponder 970 since mid august.
People in hawaii are claiming loss of signal as well.

If you wan to run VoIP through Satellite with reliability you need to be on our system. Cell phone quality with very littly delay. I will demo upon request.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)