Voom and ReplayTV

When I ran startwirns.bat, it says that application failed to initialize properly. What am I doing wrong? What is .Net 1.1 framework?

LukFilm, welcome to the forum!

Judging by the number of responses to your questions, not too many people are using ReplayTV with VOOM. I hope someone replies, though. If not, you can try sending private messages to those who posted in this thread before.

Good luck!

I love my 4580 ReplayTV and I'm having Voom installed in just 5 days. So, I'll be watching this thread closely.

Okay, okay, okay... so it looks like the Voom DVR isn't going to come out any time soon. The Dish 921 apparently has had a lot of problems, the upcoming 942 (multi-tuner HD-DVR) won't be out until sometime next summer, and I will not give money to Rupert Murdoch via Directv.

I like VOOM and am willing to pay for a DVR. I have a very busy schedule and would like to be able to record films off the VOOM exclusive channels as well as OTA and other VOOM satellite channels. Currently I record a few shows via VCR, so any DVR is going to be a marked increase in picture quality.

Other threads indicate that TiVo won't show PG information for OTA locals, and I don't want to have to run a separate analogue antenna feed to the TiVo Box. This leaves ReplayTV, which has a lot of devotees. I can get a 40 GB Replay box for $99 after rebate, plus the $12.95/month until Voom can get its DVR out. The only bummer seems to be no sub-channels, which means some PBS programming I won't be able to get.

I'm willing to invest some time in complicated set-up if it will then operate without me having to mess with network settings.

In any case, I have a few questions.

1. After going through the set-up listed in this thread (connected to a WiFi laptop computer) can I then connect the ReplayTV box via a phone line rather than via Internet for PG information?
2. If no, then is there a WiFi connection I can use to connect?
3. If I follow all the steps in this thread will I have to use the VOOM program planner to set up recording or will the ReplayTV box do it automatically? I have had it miss channel changes before when trying to record different shows over the same evening via VCR (including this week's "West Wing" - Boo!).
4. I presume that since there is only one tuner in the VOOM STB there will be no way to watch one show while recording another, right?

Thanks!
CDH.

1. Yes, but be aware that unless you have a local contact it will be long distance and you will have to monitor it like a hawk because IT will call out every night( had a 300$ long distance bill in April, now have wireless IP)
2. It has a phone jack and an ethernet port, you have to supply the Net.
3. Check www.planetreplay.com there is a forum specifically for wirns and V*(you will have to go to forums)
4.With the Replay you can watch recorded programs while you record from the V* box.
I ordered a 5504 Wed. 99$ with rebate it will be 49$...If you watch Replay really close you can find 5040's, 5080s on sale but they disapear in less than a day. ( the 5xxx have commercial advance and the ability to send programs over the net)

Well, thanks dfergie for the reply. Your answers led to me picking up a 5504 today. I then spent more than two hours and didn't get very far. Some of the terminology doesn't mean much to me, and it is likely that there are some steps missing in the original instructions that seem obvious to some folks but not to me.

With my schedule I won't have another chance to try again until Thursday, but I don’t know what more I can do without help. If someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong then I will give it another go.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post!

I started by following instructions. I installed .Net 1.1 (via Windows update -- anything else I have to do on this?), the WiRNS files, and Sqlite (from www.sqlite.org). I set up an account at labs.zap2it.com and selected my local channels and Voom channels.

Then I connected the ReplayTV box to my Voom box (via both composite and Svideo), and the ReplayTV box to my TV. I intend to send the locals through composite and the Satellite channels through Svideo.

I turned on the ReplayTV and it insisted on going through an initial installation procedure (inputting zip code, phone number, etc.) I tried going through all the steps, at first connecting via phone line. It took about five minutes to download information. Of course Voom didn't show up as a valid choice as a satellite system, presumably that won't change until after I use WiRNS correctly. I don't have an actual network connection near the TV, so I was planning on doing all the WiRNS setup using a WiFi connected laptop and then later telling the Replay to go back to using the modem.

I tried manually setting IP information on the ReplayTV box under the Ethernet settings (DNS, etc.) but the ReplayTV unit didn’t seem to have network access through the laptop. I don’t know much about computer networking (setting up our home WiFi network is as far as I got), so it is likely that there are some major steps I’ve missed here. Do I have to do something to “share” the WiFi connection from the laptop? Will this not work under WiFi at all?

I temporarily disabled the Windows Firewall as I understand that it might cause problems. The laptop is connected to the internet via a WiFi connection, the Ethernet port on the ReplayTV is connected to the Ethernet port on the notebook.

Anyway... I started up WiRNS, and it seemed to load correctly. It said that it was “starting configuration server on 127.0.0.1:8923”, then “Plugin: ServerManagment.dll (1.0.1549.1264) loaded,” and finally “Replay Network Server Emulation started.”

I loaded a web browser, but nothing seems to be at 127.0.0.1:8923 or at localhost:8923. I can’t get to the web-based control panel for WiRNS, from which all other settings are adjusted.

So what now?

I don’t think muddling through is going to work! If anyone can spot some obvious things that I’ve missed then please let me know! I’m willing to put a few more hours into this, but no more than that. If I can’t get it working by this weekend I’m going to return the unit for a refund.

Thanks in advance,
CDH.

Oh well... no luck installing the ReplayTV with Voom. I am returning it and have installed a TiVo Series 2 instead. Locals are analog, but that is better than the *nothing* I was getting with the ReplayTV. I just don't seem to have the technological know-how to get WiRNS running properly.

CDH.

Problem with WiRNS DNS Config

I have been at this now for MANY hours and keep running into the same road block. After following all of the previous steps, I get the one where I change the DNS settings of the Replay (5504) to the IP of the WiRNS server. After doing so, the unit tests those setting and it returns a message that says:
"Your ReplayTV got an invalid response from your name server."

You can see the screenshot here.

Any help is appreciated!

madpoet said:
*edit* See the bottom for new info

NEW INFO! Apparently, once you've given Replay the fact that Voom is an input you can stop using WiRNS. So you set WiRNS up, let it connect once, then you change your network setting back to normal. It's outstanding ;)

MP

So this means you don't need a dedicated computer to make this work? Just set it up once?

Obiwander said:
I have been at this now for MANY hours and keep running into the same road block. After following all of the previous steps, I get the one where I change the DNS settings of the Replay (5504) to the IP of the WiRNS server. After doing so, the unit tests those setting and it returns a message that says:
"Your ReplayTV got an invalid response from your name server."

You can see the screenshot here.

Any help is appreciated!
Welcome to SatelliteGuys...:) Ask these questions at avs and planet replay...madpoet is a moderater in the Projector forum at avs, so he hangs out there more...

I gave WiRNS a shot last night in an attempt to reconfigure my replaytvs. I have two. And low and behold I now have a networked VOOM based Replaytv system. The first replay took me about 5 hours of on and off struggling to finally get to work. The second one took me 15 minutes. I guess I am a slow learner, but a learner nonetheless.

Anyway, because my wife still loves her network stations, I added dirctv's channel guide as well, which I have to keep working for the next few months. But, this is going to be really nice. I've got Hi Def. networks from Directv and all of the HD content from VOOM. Both appeared on the guide at once. I couldn't believe it.

If any of you are like me and my family (living a very rural area), you may want to give this a try. We are using the base package from DTV and the Base pacakage from VOOM.

I would just like to say thanks to the people on this thread that blazed the trail on this long before me. I appreciate it. This will be a great benefit for our family until VOOM comes out with its own DVR.

Thank you everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts