Voom can be closed down in 30 days. Is it really dead this time?

jahartman said:
my question is, I have a install for sat. should I Cancel or wait it out. You guys are right, WHAT A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!!!!!! Any help would be greatly helpful.
Why on earth would you cancel?

jahartman said:
my question is, I have a install for sat. should I Cancel or wait it out. You guys are right, WHAT A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!!!!!! Any help would be greatly helpful.

Geesh, dont give up now. If they make it, you'll be kicking yourself!

Even if Voom lasts just 30 days, atleast you'll have 30 days of superior HD! :)

People just react too quick around here sometimes... I just don't know what I would do without Voom (for HD). I guess I'ld go OTA since it has the most HD channels out there...

-John

jgantert said:

People just react too quick around here sometimes... I just don't know what I would do without Voom (for HD). I guess I'ld go OTA since it has the most HD channels out there...

-John
I agree with everything you just posted -- except that I do know what I'd do without Voom ( I'd definitely just go with OTA).

jgantert said:

-John
John, I have *e* now, ok not the best HD but it is up and running. should I go ahead and remove *E*, then install VOOM only to have to go back in 30 days. It's a matter of dollars and cents to!!!!!!

jahartman said:
John, I have *e* now, ok not the best HD but it is up and running. should I go ahead and remove *E*, then install VOOM only to have to go back in 30 days. It's a matter of dollars and cents to!!!!!!

Why would you have to remove E*? Just downgrade your programing or go to that $5 a month fee that they have so that you don't have to cancel your account and have voom installed right next to it.

I would not cancel, just put it onhold for a month or so until things are more clear with VOOM. If your installer does use some of your existing wiring then make certain that it is done in a manner which will easily allow you to reconnect your E* hardware in the event that things do not work out for VOOM. Either that or just run seperate wiring for the VOOM system. While I will go back to cable if VOOM goes dark, I would simply need to switch 3 cable connections at a single locationto have E* up and running again.

If you drop E* entirely I am told that they will make going back a miserable and costly experience.

Well...add my name to the list of posters that have called and scheduled service. They're coming out next Tuesday to do some free stuff that I should have called about back in Dec when they did the install.

Also, as has been the experience of many others here, the CSR verified some of the channels being added this month (DIY, NatGeo, Military, CNT, BBC, a bunch of DISC, etc). :) :)

What's that old saying about ignorance and bliss?
Seems like a pretty happy place there right now.

I could also here several other CSRs in the background taking orders and discussing dates.

Lob

They way it sounds, i wonder if secretly Isiah Thomas is running this comany, since they dont know what there doing, but they sure are losing millions of dollors, kind of like the NY Knicks! Trade thier starting center who has one year left on his contract for an undersized PF who has 4 bloated years left on his contract, sure!!!! IDIOT!

I have dish also

jahartman said:
What I did is downgrade dish to minimum service and avoid duplication, after Voom was installed.

I wouldn't disconnect completely if I were you. As long as you can afford it, I think this will be resolved realtively shortly

danielle_s said:
the dolan family is not going to give VOOM up, someone is going to have to pry it out of his cold dead hands before VOOM is dead.

Don't say that I think Jimmy IS trying to kill his father. I'm worried Charles is either going to have a heart attack or stroke before this is finished.

You probably have Charles with a broken heart and Jimmy looking next door out his window laughing, turning to his wife, who is sitting on the divan next to the fireplace eating bon-bons and saying "Look at that old a-hole. He's not blowing MY billions" as he plunges another needle into his voodoo doll.

Hum, perhaps I should start writing a soap opera. This whole situation makes the Ewings look like saints. Next week on the "Dolans" Who shot Jimmy

Amphicar770 said:
I would not cancel, just put it onhold for a month or so until things are more clear with VOOM. If your installer does use some of your existing wiring then make certain that it is done in a manner which will easily allow you to reconnect your E* hardware in the event that things do not work out for VOOM. Either that or just run seperate wiring for the VOOM system.

Just my 2 cents, but **SEPARATE WIRING**. Don't let Voom's buffoon installer screw up your working E* setup. :) As much as I love the Voom service, their installers are another story...

-John

Code:
Talk about a guy who is encircled in his own box. Can you at least read both press releases and get out of the box and be open minded to see what really is going on. I do not get it. You seemed to have quite an obsession with the demise of VOOM despite the fact that there has been two press releases stating Yes is shutdown and another stating it won't. If you are looking it just this way, you are missing the point.

Sean, no offense but I think you need to get out of your own box. You've said before about proof about things going on. Well, we don't have proof either way but we do know some things:

1. CVC has intentions of shutting down the service sometime in the near future. More than one source has confirmed this.
2. CVC decided not to fund Voom any longer.
3. Certain people within CVC signed a letter of intent to purchase the remaining Voom assets however, they do not have funding in place right now.
4. There were two internal memos posted here. One saying, "Yeah, we're going under." Another saying, "Well, we're still looking at our options."
5. Dish is working to purchase Voom's satellite (the one they own and is operational providing Voom programming currently).

Now, out of all of this, everyone seems to be fixated on #4. Think about it, if they still wanted to buy Voom (and it's obvious they do) what do you THINK they would say???? Uh, sorry guys, we can't get funding. So you can all go find new jobs and the few subs we have can all cancel. Of COURSE they're going to say they're still working on it! They don't want everyone to jump ship! And they're doing the right thing by saying this.

However, if you're looking for cold hard facts the only facts we know are CVC is working to shut Voom down and Dish is buying the satellite. Everything else is a guess by everyone here no matter what their opinions are.

And I don't have an obsession with the demise of Voom. Many people around here have an obsession with the future of Voom and have gotten very unrealistic as to what direction things are headed. No matter what is said about Voom, no matter what is released about Voom these people always look at it and say, "Yeah but..." So when Voom DOES shut down are you all going to say, "Yeah, but they're just regrouping and they'll be back."??? Being open minded means looking at the information from an objective point of view. Most people are hardly doing this.

Code:
Rick, some of what you state here is true, but some of it isn't reality. I've used Delta as an example before. They lost $5billion? That's BILLION, with a "B". Are people still holding investments in Delta? Yes. Is Delta still in business? Yes. Would I fly Delta tomorrow if I needed to? Yes.

They haven't been giving the service away. They've been giving free installations, they've gone with a lease model on the equipment, but they haven't been giving anything away that I'm aware of.

As for potential investors...they're out there. You would be absolutely amazed at what some people invest in...especially in terms of venture capital.

You can certainly use Delta as an example, however, it's a VERY different example. Delta offers a tangible benefit to its customers. They still sell a lot of tickets. The government can go in and bail them out. They can turn it around. Not saying Voom can't turn it around but it's highly unlikely. They aren't bringing an appreciable amount of money in (relative to what they need to bring in). The customers aren't lining up to use the service like with Delta.

And you are correct. They're not giving the service away but they've removed the largest obstacle (for many people) to getting HDTV in their homes (other than an HDTV itself). So, other than actually giving the service away, what else is there???

And you're correct, I'd be surprised at what people invest in these days. However, if it was so easy for them to gain investors don't you think they would have something lined up already? After the last few years people are NOT lining up to invest in technology. Can someone come along and do it? Sure. I just wouldn't bet on it.

-----------------------------------------------------

With all of this said, AGAIN, I do not in ANY way want to see Voom fail. I hope I come here a year from now and you all have blasted my comments and said, "I told you so!" I love what Voom has tried to do. I'm back with DTV now and I HATE it. I miss my movie channels in HD. I miss the way the channels are arranged. I miss many things. I canceled Voom due to many issues they hadn't worked out. If they were to survive and if the issues I've experienced were to be worked out, I'd sign back up in a heartbeat. My contention with everything here is everyone keeps looking for that silver lining no matter how dark the clouds are. If Dolan Sr. posted here himself and said, "We're shutting her down," I think people around here would still say they're not going to shut down.

I've also asked many times. So, they get funded. What then? They can't seem to get subs now. What's going to change to allow them to gain enough subs to stay afloat? I'm not saying NOTHING can be done. I'm just wondering what the ideas are. If I were an investor, this would be my #1 question.

I hope I'm wrong. Also, enjoy it while it lasts. I'm not suggesting people call Voom and cancel. I'm not suggesting people who are on the fence not sign up (I've told many people to go for it).

So call me negative if you want. I'm just being realistic.

The Rickster

"Delta offers a tangible benefit to its customers"
So does VOOM, and VOOM has less competition than Delta.
"They still sell a lot of tickets"
VOOM almost doubled it's subscriber base in 2mos.
"The government can go in and bail them out"
Like HarleyDavidson? I doubt that will ever happen again.
"don't you think they would have something lined up already?"
According to Dolan's press release, they do.
"They can't seem to get subs now."
Huh? As I said above, they almost doubled their subscriber base.

:)

Lob

IMO, VOOM is/was getting really close to being a 'replacement' for E* and D* for a lot of people. The addition of some channels and a DVR combined with a great new customer sign-up plan. Even more so if the DVR works like a DVR should.

GadgetRick said:
Code:
 Certain people within CVC signed a letter of intent to purchase the remaining Voom assets however, they do not have funding in place right now.The Rickster[/QUOTE]

I guess Sean is right...you didn't read both releases or you would have seen the the statement that financing or funding is in place to complete the deal. Anyone can select just the facts that back up their theory and ignore the rest.

Lobstah said:
"Delta offers a tangible benefit to its customers"
So does VOOM, and VOOM has less competition than Delta.
"They still sell a lot of tickets"
VOOM almost doubled it's subscriber base in 2mos.
"The government can go in and bail them out"
Like HarleyDavidson? I doubt that will ever happen again.
"don't you think they would have something lined up already?"
According to Dolan's press release, they do.
"They can't seem to get subs now."
Huh? As I said above, they almost doubled their subscriber base.

:)

Lob

Um, in the year or so they have been up and running and trying to get subscribers they have only managed to acquire what D* and E* acquire EVERY SIX TO SEVEN DAYS.

IN 2004, way over $200 million in expenses and maybe $13 million in revenue. Anyone pouring money into this will lose their stake faster than someone who bought tech stocks in 2000.

Voom Website

Just checked the Voom site, it says this:

Voom has ceased taking new customer orders and will shut

down by the end of March.

This Sucks!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts