VOOM in Virginia.

I live in Williamsburg, VA. Is there any one that I can stop by and see there Voom.
I have Cox HD right now. Thinking about changing first of the year.
I have a 57h83 Toshiba.

jgilliam1955 said:
I live in Williamsburg, VA. Is there any one that I can stop by and see there Voom.
I have a 57h83 Toshiba.
You should go by jimmykce's house. Voom looks great on his 50 inch sammy DLP. I converted him from cable. Actually I told him cable would last one month and then he'd want to switch. And I was right. LOL

jgilliam1955 said:
I have a 57h83 Toshiba.

You may come by my house and check out Voom. I sent you a private email with my phone numbers to set up a time. I haven't regreted the switch from Cox HD service yet.

Also go to www.antennaweb.org to make sure Voom gives you the correct OTA antenna.

you may not see many installs after the first of the year, as for upgrading dishes and such that may also be an issue, if you really want to try voom i would call now. at the very least you end up with a few paperweights but as of now they are not costing anything to put into the house. my guess is the current offer may be pulled wthout notice based on all the reports here on this forum. i have no real information on this just an observation, when companies are having financial difficulties they change midstream so what may be offered today may not be there tomorrow.

FOX 5 on voom in VA

I just got my new voom install christmas eve. In stall was done by C&P sattelite. Great job. I have a problem with FOX. CANT SEE IT. I get two channel 4's. When the software was being downloaded I noticed freq 36 and 37 both listed as channel 5. The tech stated that 37 was blocking 36. and this only happens on the new boxes.(the last 6 he has installed). He has a old box with old software and get fox 5 fine.
I have contacted the 1800 number with no luck. I have sent a email to cust serv, awaiting their reply. Has anyone else experienced this. or is it only in KING GEORGE VA.???

ps the super bowl WILL BE on fox in HD.

hdcrazyva said:
I just got my new voom install christmas eve. In stall was done by C&P sattelite. Great job. I have a problem with FOX. CANT SEE IT. I get two channel 4's. When the software was being downloaded I noticed freq 36 and 37 both listed as channel 5. The tech stated that 37 was blocking 36. and this only happens on the new boxes.(the last 6 he has installed). He has a old box with old software and get fox 5 fine.
I have contacted the 1800 number with no luck. I have sent a email to cust serv, awaiting their reply. Has anyone else experienced this. or is it only in KING GEORGE VA.???

ps the super bowl WILL BE on fox in HD.
I'm in the Fredericksburg/Spotsy area and have good reception from DC. First, check out one of my posts: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=153846&postcount=176

FYI, WTTG-DT's (FOX5) DTV tower is 200ft lower than the other major broadcasters (WUSA-DT, WJLA-DT, WRC-DT). Although WTTG-DT is broadcasting at 1000kW, they will sometimes give me problems in the winter due to the antenna height issue and the fact their antenna is side-mounted and located on the Winchester VA side of the tower. According the VP of Engineering for FOX5/UPN20, they are looking to install new DTV antennas in late summer of 2005. Anyway, your tech is attempting to feed you a Crap Sandwich...and you don't have to eat it! Hmmm. Actually, there may have been a problem with verision 6.0 of the software. However, they should not have left until you were downloading the laterst version, which is 7.26. I have personally dealt with C & P regarding OTA issues and I will be more than happy to help you resolve your issues.

Anyway, check out the above posts and send me a PM with your zipcode. Better yet, since you live in King George (rural) your zipcode may cover an extremely large area. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you my letter to C & P detailing the problems with their OTA install....and tell you how to find your latitude/longitude and other information.

Some questions about your install:

1. How many receivers to you have?
2. What OTA antenna do you have? Hopefully, you will be using an upgraded antenna (Channel Master 4228) just like the one in my picture.
3. Are you using a duplexer or do you have separate coax for OTA?
4. What software versions are on your receivers.
5. Sticking to the major channels, what are your signal levels. Here are mine right now:

WUSA-DT (CBS) RF34 (9-1) 93
WTTG-DT (FOX) RF36 (5-1) 86
WJLA-DT (ABC) RF39 (7-1) 94
WRC-DT (NBC) RF48 (4-1) 91

FOX problem fixed

Thanks for the info, I did a re scan of locals and fox 5 came in, also recvd chnl 50. This tells me that C and P techs arent that well schooled. Neither is the customer srvc people a Voom. This should have been a simple fix, but neither of them knew what to do. Thanks to this FOURM , I now can watch the SBOWL IN HD. THANKS JIM undefinedundefined :D

Alexandria Va here,stb needs major improvments,unlike the D* HD stb there is no way to expand a HD signal that is only being broadcast in the 4:3 format-not good,program guide goes to the ALL-then ok-to get the guide with the VOOM logo and all the other crap.This was not well thought out prior to distrubition to the public,5months 2weeks to cancelation or I'll just pay the 250 early termnation,kids don't even seem that interested,would rather watch D*

I just ordered for installation, and was wondering from those in the area, will I get CBS and WB with ABC, NBC, Fox, upn over the air. I'm in South Chesapeake, deep creek, and Voom is telling me they cannot quote me, or gaurantee I will get CBS and WB. Do you guys get all the local channels?

rngraing said:
I just ordered for installation, and was wondering from those in the area, will I get CBS and WB with ABC, NBC, Fox, upn over the air. I'm in South Chesapeake, deep creek, and Voom is telling me they cannot quote me, or gaurantee I will get CBS and WB. Do you guys get all the local channels?
yeah a channel master 4228 should get you everything. All of the towers are in norfolk I think. I am in Newport news 20 miles from all of the towers and get 7 HD OTA channels.

NBC,CBS,ABC,FOX, WB,UPN,PBS in HD and Pax in sd. If you have problems all of the local station engineers participate in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=452656&perpage=20&pagenumber=35

I am in Newport News Va and I have gotten upgraded to a Channelmaster 4228. It works very well and had no problems getting any of my local stations.

So if you've gotten upgraded, what did you have before? Did it not recieve those channels? What will they most likely bring me, and how do I get them to upgrade the antenna?

They will bring you a stealth antenna, omnidirectional and it probably wont work. You will have to bitch and moan to Voom to get the upgrade after they install the first one. But radio shack has a 25 dollar Yagi that may work well for you since your probably even closer than I am. Go to the link I previously posted and ask. Others there live in chesapeake too. "Todd" for instance.

rngraing said:
So if you've gotten upgraded, what did you have before? Did it not recieve those channels? What will they most likely bring me, and how do I get them to upgrade the antenna?

I did receive all my locals with the orginal equipment OTA antenna, but I was experiencing drop outs and picture freezes on the lower powered stations. I called Voom and told them my problem, which was I got the wrong OTA antenna for my area. Also I told Voom that I would like to receive the Channelmaster 4228. So that is what the installer came back and put up.

You can go to www.antennaweb.org to see what type of OTA antenna is needed for an area. My area was designated "red" zone required a medium to long range directional antenna.

Does anyone with Voom know if you get one of the fox sports networks. I watch ACC Bball on Comcast with cox, but with Voom I don't know if I'll get the acc sunday night hoops. Please help.

You'll get ACC only on 54 (Baltimore, not sure what the DC affiliate is -- maybe 50?), and a few games on ESPN. No Comcast Sports Network, and don't expect it anytime soon on Voom.

-John

branchbouncer said:
Alexandria Va here,stb needs major improvments,unlike the D* HD stb there is no way to expand a HD signal that is only being broadcast in the 4:3 format-not good,program guide goes to the ALL-then ok-to get the guide with the VOOM logo and all the other crap.This was not well thought out prior to distrubition to the public,5months 2weeks to cancelation or I'll just pay the 250 early termnation,kids don't even seem that interested,would rather watch D*
Well it seems that all we needed to do was to upgrade to the VaVa VOOM pak and everyone is happy much more HD to watch,the youngest kids found Animinia(sp?) and love it ,it is sort of nice to see them watching older cartoons that are clean rather than the Nick crap.After giving VOOM sometime we are starting to really like it.In a way it's like a stray dog that shows up you feed it because you feel sorry the next thing you know he/she is sleeping on the sofa
They do need to get the software for the Moto stb ironed out,and do a firmware update so that you can get to guide with one click by-passing the VOOM /All Channels crap--I know I can set up a favorites .But I do not want to explain that to family members every couple of days.All in all VOOM is a good service.Thanks Mr Dolan best of luck
D* is still here-I am waiting till the fall to see which service stays,I have a feeling that D*'s big HD upgrade is going to be local channels--I get those OTA so that doesn't interest me,but time will tell

branchbouncer said:
They do need to get the software for the Moto stb ironed out,and do a firmware update so that you can get to guide with one click by-passing the VOOM /All Channels crap

Well, I havent used a D* HD box, but their SD box was much better than the Voom box. I'm talking PG, menus and interactive-type features. For example, I could be watching something, hit info, show the actors, then select and actor and a list of movies staring that person will show up. Lots of good interactive PG data there. Right now that is my biggest gripe with Voom. The PG sucks, and only one favorites list.

-John

jgantert said:
Well, I havent used a D* HD box, but their SD box was much better than the Voom box. I'm talking PG, menus and interactive-type features. For example, I could be watching something, hit info, show the actors, then select and actor and a list of movies staring that person will show up. Lots of good interactive PG data there. Right now that is my biggest gripe with Voom. The PG sucks, and only one favorites list.

-John
Your right,the D* HD box is far better to use. One of the things that I really disliked when we got VOOM was that I was use to the D* HD box and I felt as if I was going back in time with the VOOM box,getting use to it but still think it could be much better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)