Voom Installed Today

APorter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
Cincinnati
I had my voom installed today. Installer called about twenty minutes before showing up. I had three rooms installed. There was a problem with one of the boxes but installer exchange with another box he had in his truck. The only problem in non of my OTA channels come in. I'm only 15 miles from towers so should have no problems. In fact I have an indoor antenna that worked in the basement when I was finishing HT room. The antenna installer brought with him was a Wineguard Sensor. He mentioned that this was the only installed he had done with an unamplified antenna. I have a work order for this Wednesday to upgrade antenna. I'm impressed with the channels I've looked at so far, but it's March Madness so I'm watching HD hoops (Time Warner cable).

Second installer showed up on time with the upgrade antenna, but there was no need. The first installer incorrectly installed the antenna, which is what I expected since I'm less than 15 miles from towers. I know get 19 OTA channels, Cincinnati and Dayton, on two of my boxes. The third box was not able to pull in any OTA channels. Installer thought it was a bad box, so I'll have to call Voom to get another box. Despite needed to set up a third visit by installer, I'm pretty happy with Voom .

Glad things are working out for you. It's too bad the first installer did such a poor job on the antenna installation, but I agree-as long as Voom continues to work on the issues, it would not be very fair to be unahppy with them.

I have the "normal" antenna, I'm further than you (probably 20-25 miles, but with a very clear line of sight), and my OTA channels come in awesome. I've never seen my local channels look so good--even when I was getting them through D*.

So, from one new Voomer to another, Welcome!

Congrats on Voomin'! I used an old antenna from my D* days as well and did not have the VOOM supplied antenna installed. I get all my locals and they are crystal clear.

You gotta love VOOM!

My installer dorked the Winegard antenna install too. He could connect and disconnect the antenna and it made zero difference to my reception. I had installed my own yagi pre-Voom and he ended up using it. I still have the winegard antenna installed and I think it looks like crap. It's coming down as soon as I can get a hold of a long ladder.

Welcome to Voom!

Shawn

I was scheduled for a noon install today. Installer shows up around 2:30 p.m., with a call preceding his arrival by 30 minutes. I gotta say, I am VERY unhappy with the staller's approach to getting me voomin. A quick walk around the house, he announces that he wants to attach the dish to my deck. I told him I didn't want it there, that I wanted it in the same place the D* dish was,... on my roof. I asked him were he wanted to place the OTA, he said on the deck as well. It didn't take long to recognize that this guy just didn't want to get up in the air. Was it fear? Don't know. The way he kept looking at his watch, it was probably a time thing going on with him. He did say he didn't have a long enough ladder, and I'm familiar with the 40 foot threshold, but in my case, that's BS. I've had several D* installers and upgraders up there with no hints of problems or suggestion of a special installation requirement. I'm just one heartbeat away from tagging this guy "Lazy".

I was on the phone with VoOm before the guy could get make his way back up my dead-end street. V* wanted to re-schedule me for the 31st. Unacceptable. Then they told me to hold. Then a promises of a call-back. Call came 20 minutes later. The 31st turned into the 28th. I pushed again. Another hold. "Would a different installer tomorrow by OK?" Why yes!!!

I've heard some horror stories in here concerning installation, but never thought it would happen to me. I never really gave it much attention, just read the posts. I'm hoping it was just this one guy. Of the 5-6 D* visits I've had over the years (the original install, repairs & upgrades), it's clear that there is a difference in installation quality and professionalism.

I will say this though, VoOm was right on it. Big props VoOm! Now if I can only get a signal.

My first installer wanted to in install dish and antenna on roof of two story portion of house. Since I'm close to towers and have clear line of sight I told him it would be much easier to install on the one story garage roof that extends from the front to back of my house. I guess it all depends on the installer you get as mine was willing to do more work so that I could get good reception. Of course he didn't install the antenna correctly, but that's another story.

ericpd said:
I was scheduled for a noon install today. Installer shows up around 2:30 p.m., with a call preceding his arrival by 30 minutes. I gotta say, I am VERY unhappy with the staller's approach to getting me voomin. A quick walk around the house, he announces that he wants to attach the dish to my deck. I told him I didn't want it there, that I wanted it in the same place the D* dish was,... on my roof. I asked him were he wanted to place the OTA, he said on the deck as well. It didn't take long to recognize that this guy just didn't want to get up in the air. Was it fear? Don't know. The way he kept looking at his watch, it was probably a time thing going on with him. He did say he didn't have a long enough ladder, and I'm familiar with the 40 foot threshold, but in my case, that's BS. I've had several D* installers and upgraders up there with no hints of problems or suggestion of a special installation requirement. I'm just one heartbeat away from tagging this guy "Lazy".

I was on the phone with VoOm before the guy could get make his way back up my dead-end street. V* wanted to re-schedule me for the 31st. Unacceptable. Then they told me to hold. Then a promises of a call-back. Call came 20 minutes later. The 31st turned into the 28th. I pushed again. Another hold. "Would a different installer tomorrow by OK?" Why yes!!!

I've heard some horror stories in here concerning installation, but never thought it would happen to me. I never really gave it much attention, just read the posts. I'm hoping it was just this one guy. Of the 5-6 D* visits I've had over the years (the original install, repairs & upgrades), it's clear that there is a difference in installation quality and professionalism.

I will say this though, VoOm was right on it. Big props VoOm! Now if I can only get a signal.

ericpd,

there is no such thing as a noon install, did you have a am appt (8-12 ) or a pm (1-5) appt. the installer is prohibited from giving a dedicated time , except on the first am appt

please reply

dragon

Dragon,
Sorry to say but some of these company set there own time frames so this is very possible.

t

ericpd said:

I would like to have the info on your first installer cause i bet that you would be last customer that he blows off so if you have any info send it to me and i will make sure he does not do this to anyone else .

I am sorry that this happen to you

tyork

installs inc schedules am or pm period. PERIOD
and i would have told this sub he/she is no better than any other sub.

so what do you do t ? tell an install you are on you gotta leave because you have another install and they are more important??
or do you do nothing all morning to make sure this sub is your first install??

the only sub i give a definite time is my first!!

dragon

dragon002 said:
ericpd,

there is no such thing as a noon install, did you have a am appt (8-12 ) or a pm (1-5) appt. the installer is prohibited from giving a dedicated time , except on the first am appt

please reply

dragon

12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. is what I meant by noon. Sorry for the confusion. Scheduled for the p.m. window I guess is the best way to say it. Found out later after VoOm called me back, that it was a Company by the name of Data Link. Was also told that this wasn't the first Data Link install call they had to involve themselves in.

I did ask for another installation contractor to make the call tomorrow, but they said doing that would make matters worse. How they can be worse I'm not sure.

ericpd said:
12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. is what I meant by noon. Sorry for the confusion. Scheduled for the p.m. window I guess is the best way to say it. Found out later after VoOm called me back, that it was a Company by the name of Data Link. Was also told that this wasn't the first Data Link install call they had to involve themselves in.

I did ask for another installation contractor to make the call tomorrow, but they said doing that would make matters worse. How they can be worse I'm not sure.

Where are you located?

dragon002 said:

so what do you do t ? tell an install you are on you gotta leave because you have another install and they are more important??
or do you do nothing all morning to make sure this sub is your first install??

the only sub i give a definite time is my first!!

dragon

no sure what you are talking about dragon???????

Not sure where you been but on voom installs you are required to get the customer a 2hr time frame and if you can't make that time frame you are surpose to call and let them know you are running late.

ericpd said:

you were scheduled for the pm , as you said,(back off t) the tech was not late until 5:01 pm hit the clock!!! he / she can show up any time to start the install from 12:01 until 4:49 pm and BE ON TIME!!!

i would have called when i was almost done with the previous install, but i dont have to!!!

noon to five

dragon

dragon002 said:
you were scheduled for the pm , as you said,(back off t) the tech was not late until 5:01 pm hit the clock!!! he / she can show up any time to start the install from 12:01 until 4:49 pm and BE ON TIME!!!

i would have called when i was almost done with the previous install, but i dont have to!!!

noon to five

dragon

Dragon,
1. I don't know who you think you are telling me to back off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. I don't say he was late (I just said that there are company's some company that have different time frames.
3. I wanted to know who this lazy installer was that wanted the easy way out.
who come to do a install and not bring the right ladder.
4. why would you be on here defending such lazy installer away
5. if you don't like what i right that i suggest that you put me on the ignore list. Cause i will continue to help customer that are having trouble with these lazy, no show, no call installer .......

Tyrok

TYORK said:
I would like to have the info on your first installer cause i bet that you would be last customer that he blows off so if you have any info send it to me and i will make sure he does not do this to anyone else .

I am sorry that this happen to you

tyork

Wow tyork, you sound like someone others know they gotta listen to if they wanna continue to get paid. Anyway, the company goes by the name of Data Link and operate in the Baltimore, MD metro area. I'm in Randallstown, MD, a part of the Bmore metro. The encounter happened so quickly and I was so angry, I failed to get the installer's, no scratch that, the guy's name.

I tell, I really felt blown off. A very accurate way of putting it. I just hope tomorrow the guy arrives in something other than a rusty 12 year old Trooper. Not that that SHOULD make a difference, but in my case I think it was an omen.

dragon002 said:

dragon

Installs, Inc.... That's the company who sent me an e-mail confirming my install date/time, along with some suggestions for making the install smoother. Like having crap already moved out of the installer's way before he gets here. But that's not the company who paid the visit. According to VoOm, it was a company called Data Link.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts