Voom receiver freezes with OTA signals

Videomax

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
I just had Voom installed yesterday.
The installer wasn't able to install the OTA antenna to the roof because it was too high and he didn't have a ladder big enough fo reach the roof (The apartment building is 2 stories).
I purchased an amplified OTA antenna from Radio Shack and we connected it to the Voom receiver. Overall signal strength is 95.
The reciever is hooked to a Mitsubishi 52525 TV set via HDMI to the Voom's DVI output.
Some additionl information: The Diplexer module was not installed. The installer just had two lines, one connecting the Satelite to the receiver, and the other connecting the OTA to the receiver.
Initailly everything worked out fine. I was able to pick up some decent OTA local channels.
A few hours later, the receiver froze as I was scanning the channels. It wouldn't respond to any of the buttons on the remote control or the receiver itself. I did a couple of soft and hard reboots and it would temporarily fix the problem only to freeze up again.
I narrowed it down to the receiver freezing up whenever it scanned local channels.
I detached the OTA from the receiver and it is working fine now, but of course, I can't view any local channels.
Any suggestions as to why this occuring and what can be done to fix it?
A technician is coming to my apartment next Tuesday with an upgraded OTA and to look at the problem, but I just wanted some input first.
Thanks.

Welcome aboard!
It is strange that a lockup occurs during channel scan. Of a top of my head I don't remember anyone reporting a similar problem. Are you talking about channel scan via Installation Wizard, or just channel browsing with your remote? I do get lockups when checking the signal readings of certain weak stations, but that's a different story. Try re-inserting the OTA module and then manually hiding all OTA stations that you can't receive. I remember in Boston area there was one station that was causing lockups if not hidden.

And remember, that you are still entitled to professional installation of a good OTA antenna. Don't settle on that Radio Shack!

Good luck.

Ilya said:
Welcome aboard!
It is strange that a lockup occurs during channel scan. Of a top of my head I don't remember anyone reporting a similar problem. Are you talking about channel scan via Installation Wizard, or just channel browsing with your remote? I do get lockups when checking the signal readings of certain weak stations, but that's a different story. Try re-inserting the OTA module and then manually hiding all OTA stations that you can't receive. I remember in Boston area there was one station that was causing lockups if not hidden.

And remember, that you are still entitled to professional installation of a good OTA antenna. Don't settle on that Radio Shack!

Good luck.

The 5.11 "updatTV" problem in Boston comes to mind.

A wierd channel, not real, that causes lockups when you tune to it or past it and alot of lockeups during channel scans.

it is a soft ware issue. something about that stations freq confusses box. so it was explaned to me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)