VOOM Rules!!!

GooberVoomer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
In spite of the Olympics fiasco (which admittedly is not VOOM's fault) VOOM is without a doubt the premiere source for HD content, PERIOD. Most all of VOOM's original content is AWESOME, particularly the Auction Channel, Equator, Ultra, Rave, Rush (okay, I'm not crazy about all the soccer on WorldSports, and the melting popcicles are of limited interest to me). I also love the really bad Japanese science fiction movies on MonstersHD. Now, if VOOM could just do something about getting the NFL Network in HD, and maybe do a deal with the Travel Channel ...
Keep up the good work, VOOM!

Vurbano:
Do you have a good signal and a good TV? Anybody that does and doesn't realize how great VOOM is needs to have their head examined. Just the Michael McDonald concert that's on RAVE right now is worth the price of admission. I've seen it five times now, and I'm blown away every time I see it. Maybe you need to consider an equipment upgrade...
Thanks again VOOM. Please don't go away.

Will he be saying that the Michael McDonald concert is worth the price of admission after he has seen it 30 times!!

Voom is on its last leg with me, double charged yet again this month.

I agree that VOOM's far from perfect, but right now it's currently on its way to owning the "High Definition" position in consumers' minds (see Ries, A. and Trout,J. (1981) Positioning, The battle for your mind, Warner Books - McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, 1981, ISBN 0-446-34794-9). I also agree that VOOM does certainly tend to repeat itself, and that some of it's content reeks (like the excessive soccer coverage for instance), but it's picture and sound quality is unsurpassed. And isn't that why you (and millions of other consumers) spent exhorbitant amounts on your HDTV? Give VOOM credit for making HD content like theirs available to the marketplace. If not VOOM, who else?

Unsurpassed PQ is a bit strong for a overly compressed signal. While it is very good it does not compare to OTA HD at this time. WM9 or MPEG4. I also have a very large screen HD system and have had a pro calibration. But I still would not give up VOOM. Where else can you get as many HD channels in one place. Now if they just up the bit rate.

Get on the phone and complain, and get a freee month of service everytime they screw up. If I go to my bank smeared in Big Mac special sauce and tell the rep. there that someone erroneously charged $20 to McD's down the street they'll put the payment on hold and investigate.

As I said, VOOM's not perfect, but at this point in time they're offering the best HD content in the marketplace. Give them a little slack, they're blazing some new territory here. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, their original content is a fantastic example of what the HD medium has to offer. Hopefully they can overcome the naysayers and maintain their corporate board's support. I would hate to go back to cable TV's very limited HD options... Hang in there VOOM.

GooberVoomer said:
As I said, VOOM's not perfect, but at this point in time they're offering the best HD content in the marketplace. Give them a little slack, they're blazing some new territory here. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, their original content is a fantastic example of what the HD medium has to offer. Hopefully they can overcome the naysayers and maintain their corporate board's support. I would hate to go back to cable TV's very limited HD options... Hang in there VOOM.
That's the spirit! :up

I cut VOOM a great deal of slack in the programming content. The fact is that thre really isn't a lot of HD content to satisfy so many existing and potential channels. Production costs to do HD are much higher than SD and even converting movies to HD is a costly proposition. I think VOOM has done a very good job and the repeats are going to happen just as they do on Discovery BRAVOHD+ and the others. The fact is that there is a shortage of equipment, a shortage of HD experince in shooting and production and a shortage of dollars available without the ability to quicky recoup the cost. Time will help heal these problems but right now we have no choice but to be patient with what we have.

Lucky Voomer...

I can't complain, my PQ on VOOM is excellent, OTA is Excellent, Diectv is fair,
cable is fair... VOOM sound quality is excellent.... on cable or D* the PQ depends on the feed I'm getting from the broadcast being recieved, GIGO does apply in PQ reception. About repeats, as has been stated, there is only so much HD programing available out there and VOOM "does" offer the most HD programming of all the existing distributors. I would not have bought an HDTV at this time if it were not for VOOM, why bother. Also, as an example, I hardly ever watch the History Channel, Discovery, TLC anymore cause I've seen most everything (usually twice) except I do love DiscoveryHD... so, I agree, VOOM is the future in HDTV delivery, its only a baby, I believe it will grow up to be the all around best... I'm watching stuff I never watched before cause it looks so good....................!!!!!!!!!

gonzalez6653 said:
I can't complain, my PQ on VOOM is excellent, OTA is Excellent, Diectv is fair,
cable is fair... VOOM sound quality is excellent.... on cable or D* the PQ depends on the feed I'm getting from the broadcast being recieved, GIGO does apply in PQ reception. About repeats, as has been stated, there is only so much HD programing available out there and VOOM "does" offer the most HD programming of all the existing distributors. I would not have bought an HDTV at this time if it were not for VOOM, why bother. Also, as an example, I hardly ever watch the History Channel, Discovery, TLC anymore cause I've seen most everything (usually twice) except I do love DiscoveryHD... so, I agree, VOOM is the future in HDTV delivery, its only a baby, I believe it will grow up to be the all around best... I'm watching stuff I never watched before cause it looks so good....................!!!!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly. I would never watch a lot of the programming that now is consuming alot of my normal "checkers time"

GooberVoomer said:
Dont worry Dish or directv will buy Voom's bandwidth if it fails.

GooberVoomer said:
Vurbano:
Do you have a good signal and a good TV? Anybody that does and doesn't realize how great VOOM is needs to have their head examined. Just the Michael McDonald concert that's on RAVE right now is worth the price of admission. I've seen it five times now, and I'm blown away every time I see it. Maybe you need to consider an equipment upgrade...
Thanks again VOOM. Please don't go away.
My signal and equipment are just fine thankyou.

Dvlos said:
Meet vurbano, our resident Party Pooper. :)
Contrary to what you might like to believe, I am far from a Voom flamer. Infact if you went over to AVS you might see people calling me Mr Voom, etc. Ive taken more flaming than anyone else there IMO over being a voom subscriber. But on this Forum, A Forum group of Voom subscribers I believe we should all be vocal about what we see as problems or shortcomings of the service, and not follow or support blindly. Lets deal with Reality. Voom advertises "the best" PQ of any service. Thats simply not true. It may be if we move to WM9 but not now. And it frustrates me that voom has the ability to combine the cinema channels etc and fulfill that promise but doesnt do it. ANd why not? because of the success of the current business model? 35k subs? Because of the optimism of the investers in the current business model? I think not. Wake up voom. You have the ability to still provide the most and the best. DO IT. The current model isnt working. You need 1.5 million subs just to break even. Get off your A$$, the ship is taking on water.

Oh BTW, about 45 days until October leases kick in. Got that new dish on our roofs yet?

Well you are "trading" promises I think Voom was planning on promising 39 HD channels, but without HDNet and InHD right now, now way they will break 40 HD channels. While I do agree we should all be very vocal about the key improvements Voom needs to make, I have to rag on you for even being down on the Olympics!!!! Heh...

If they combine Cinema channels right now they could offer the best, but not the MOST, like you said, WM9 SHOULD change that I just want Voom to know that once they go WM9 they better up the quality of every single channel, with the October leases it shouldn't be a problem at all. They should set and decide at exactly what bitrate they want to transmissions sent at (a quality level superior not equal to, all other DBS providers) and maintain it. Don't over compress and shove a million channels into the transponders just because you have them.

If Voom doesn't then the Voom supporters will gradually die down, of that I'm sure of as well. RainbowDBS needs to get creative to lure in subs... they aren't going to do it with $10 more a month and $200 activation fee without some serious WOW and POW in their lineup and quality.

sparkles on certain channels

Panda Nursery Tonight on DiscHD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)