VOOM Satellite Service to Dramatically Increase to Over 70 HD channels by March 2005

marty2112 said:
Even with the suspended spin off we are not slowing down and show no sign of giving up. As far as the VOOM uplink and origination is concerned, its business as usual! Thanks for the support!!

Marty:
You should know the answer to this question - Are the 30 additional HD channels that we are supposed to have by March going to come all at once or are they going to be added one channel every two or three days from now until the end of March?

I am planning as if they are all going up at once. But, even with that said, there is a roll out period. Wouldnt be smart to throw the switch and have them all go at once. We roll out on a schedule to control any problems that might pop up.

I don't know about that Vurbano, I see skeeter noise on all channels at times, so I don't think it is necessarily a mastering issue. Look at the New Year's Eve show, the studio shots were good because they don't move, all they have is a talking head, but when they were out in the real world, it was soft and broke up quite a bit.

RaveHD I can't quite figure out, some shows have zero noise then another will have skeeters, could it be associated with what's playing at the same time on another channel?

I sent an email to Wilt enquiring about compression and he said the skeeters were not caused by overcompression, but what else could it be? Stupid engineers? Come on, they've had over a year to get this stuff figured out and the red sparklies are still on some SD channels.

So, what are the new channels???

When will VOOM announce what some or all of these new channel offerings will be? What will the costs be? I am considering dumping E* but there are too many SD channels missing from Voom that my wife and kids will not give up.

I would think that VOOM could quickly boost the number of people signing up today if they published some or all of the planned offerings asap. Right now I am under pressure to move back to digital cable, if I knew what Vooms upcoming lineup will look like I may be able to delay that fate!

Finally, not to nitpick but shouldn't all these "skeeter noise" posts belong in their own thread.

Indy said:
From reading Voom's press release posted today on AVS I see no mention of a HD DVR in Voom's announced growth plans. So does this mean the DVR displayed in their CES booth is nothing more than a concept mock-up with no functional use other than set dressing?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=491896

This Press Release is old news. See the post on this thread.

VOOM Raises the Bar in Home Entertainment With the Most High-Definition Programming,

Another version of the Press Release but it has a few highlights (similar to the link Indy posted): Source

Thursday January 6, 8:05 am ET
VOOM Delivers High-Definition Advantage With Nearly 40 HD Channels Backed by Full Array of Popular Standard-Definition Cable Networks
Set to Expand Capacity Enabling VOOM to Offer More Than 355 Channels

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- CES Booth #26103 -- VOOM, the first comprehensive high-definition (HD) satellite television service, extends its leadership in HD programming by delivering a more robust HD lineup backed by a full array of popular cable networks in standard-definition (SD). In addition, VOOM recently announced that in March of this year its capacity will expand significantly, enabling it to increase from its current total of 130 channels to 355 HD and SD channels.

"Over the past year, we have focused on strengthening our HD leadership, increasing our SD offerings considerably and enhancing our VOOM HD Originals programming," said Tom Dolan, CEO of Rainbow Media Enterprises. "Continuing to expand our channel capacity this year will enable us to remain the leading provider of HD content with an attractive collection of cable favorites and premium services in SD."

Increased Capacity Means Bigger and Better Programming

VOOM's increased capacity will allow its HD lineup to grow from 39 channels to 71 channels. In addition, VOOM plans to simultaneously add nearly 200 SD channels. To facilitate the expansion, VOOM is leasing 16 transponders on the SES Americom AMC-6 satellite, which VOOM refers to as "Rainbow 2."

The Most HD ... Period.

With nearly 40 HD channels, VOOM delivers more than twice the HD programming of any other cable or satellite provider. The centerpiece of this compelling offer is VOOM HD Originals, 21 commercial-free channels exclusive to VOOM and broadcast entirely in HD that offer a wide variety of programming, including movies, concerts, animated specials and sports.

Most recently, as part of this lineup, VOOM introduced Equator HD, featuring travelogues from around the globe, and HDNews, the first and only 24/7 national, high-definition news channel.

Rainbow Media also re-launched HD Movie Channels, part of VOOM HD Originals. This multiplex of uncut, commercial-free movies includes 193 popular titles acquired recently from Miramax, as well as an extensive library from earlier deals with studios such as Lion's Gate Entertainment, Castle Hill, MGM, Warner Brothers and Paramount.

HD Movie Channels include:
Divine HD - Gay and lesbian favorites and the campiest movies around
Family Room HD - Movies suitable for all ages
Film Fest HD - A selection of independent movies and documentaries
Gunslingers HD - Good old-fashioned westerns
Guy TV HD - TV for the "Average Joe" featuring all the movies men love
ha ha HD - High-definition fun and laughs
Kung Fu HD - A line-up of Kung Fu, martial arts and anime
The Majestic HD - Pre-1970 films in black and white and Technicolor
Monsters HD - Spine-chilling movies brought to life in hi-def
Vice HD - Films about lawbreakers and those who bring them to justice
World Cinema HD - Global classics, award-winners and foreign films

"VOOM customers receive the most HD, full of fresh and diverse programs," said Nora Ryan, co-general manager of VOOM HD Originals. "Rainbow Media is continuing to invest in and enhance its VOOM HD Originals to make this the most robust package of HD programming available."

As part of its focus on sports, VOOM is broadening its lineup of international offerings. WorldSport HD, one of the VOOM HD Originals, holds the exclusive US broadcast rights to Euroleague basketball and World Junior Hockey Championships. Euroleague Basketball is one of the world's most electrifying and popular international professional sports leagues. Beginning in January 2005, WorldSport HD will present a live "Euroleague Game of the Week" throughout the remainder of the regular season and extensive post-season broadcasts highlighted by complete coverage of the Euroleague Final Four in Moscow taking place May 6-8, 2005. Also, the coverage of the 2004-2005 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships marks the first-time this internationally renowned tournament will be broadcast in HD.

Comprehensive SD Programming Lineup

In addition to being the leading provider of HD content, VOOM continues to significantly enhance its SD lineup of cable favorites, which now totals 87 channels.

"Complementing our industry leading HD lineup with SD programming that viewers want and expect is a key element of our platform," added Mr. Dolan. "VOOM will continue to aggressively add popular channels, providing VOOM customers with even more choices to enrich their viewing experience."

Most recently, VOOM added Scripps Networks' Food Network and HGTV. Coming attractions for Spring 2005 include the addition of the following popular cable networks:

* BBC America
* CMT
* CNN International
* Discovery Home
* Discovery Kids
* Discovery Times
* DIY - Do It Yourself Network
* FINE LIVING
* Fox Movie Channel
* FSN Bay Area
* FSN New England
* FSN New York
* FSN Ohio
* GAC - Great American Country
* History International
* Military Channel
* MSG Network
* National Geographic Channel
* Reality 24-7
* Sunshine Network
* Superstation WGN
* The Science Channel
* Turner South

djjsin said:
this press release sort of bothers me though, say's what channels they are adding, more Fox Sports, but where the hell is Fox Sports West?!!?!?!

By any stretch of the imagination this is not the final list. This is what they have already negotiated. So there are more to come, believe it!

P.S. I am moving this three posts to the 70 channels added since it has very little to do with the DVR.

Awesome!

Now if there was ever a chance for INHD and HDNet they would be a complete provider for me :(

There's something very fishy about those numbers: 16 additional transponders can carry 3*16=48 new HD channels. They are adding 32 new HD channels leaving 5 new transponders for 200 additional SD channels = 40 SD channels/transponder? Come on, 9 is pushing it. Where will they get the bandwidth?

I sure hope the new encoders can work some magic.

I think as with Rainbow 1, on Each 3HD per TP there is also 6SD on the same TP.

DarrellP said:
There's something very fishy about those numbers: 16 additional transponders can carry 3*16=48 new HD channels. They are adding 32 new HD channels leaving 5 new transponders for 200 additional SD channels = 40 SD channels/transponder? Come on, 9 is pushing it. Where will they get the bandwidth?

I sure hope the new encoders can work some magic.

Your math is not correct Darrellp as they can place SD channels along with the HD channels as well.

This is good news about the new channels. Of course "Spring" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Ah well, if they do act quickly and ideally pick up Noggin and PBS Kids, I will have overcome any objections from wife and kids to making the switch from E* to Voom. (Assuming of course that Voom survives).

Hey, now it looks like lot of channels, but no PVR? Just speculation.... based on the Directv/ucentric deal....

Walter L. said:
VOOM: Where the heck is the list of new HD channels? :mad:

Good question. I'd like to know which 32 they are. I sure hope they don't count RSNs because they aren't full time channels, heck the only are on the air when there is a game.

Amphicar770 said:
This is good news about the new channels. Of course "Spring" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Ah well, if they do act quickly and ideally pick up Noggin and PBS Kids, I will have overcome any objections from wife and kids to making the switch from E* to Voom. (Assuming of course that Voom survives).

I get PBS Kids with my OTA antenna. It is one of the digital subchannels sent by my local PBS. You should check to see if your local PBS also broadcasts it as I think it is a national feed to the PBS stations. I doubt VOOM would add it if it is already available for free to customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts