Voom?

There is no big deal. If you've had it for a month, you have probably seen everything they have ever shown.

Voom is commercial free. Yes, they have "coming attractions" promos, but no commercials pitching soap.

I particularly like Equator. Gorgeous travelogues. Check out "Smart Travels."

Voom has channels to fill niches. Most of them I never watch- but that's true for Dish SD channels also. It's a chance to see programming you might not see elsewhere.

Did you expect every channel to be of interest to you? Plenty of us love Voom, and they have something for (almost) everyone.

Can someone please explain the big deal about Voom to me?

I'm going to try to be objective (really).

VOOM is a big deal of you believe that having a lot of very niche HD content is important. It has really never appealed to the masses, and they have not been able to get any carriage agreements in the US with the exception of DISH. This doesn't mean its bad, but it has not gathered broad appeal. In fact, CABLEVISION, which OWNS VOOM doesn't even show even 1 of the VOOM channels on its systems - that DOES say something IMO.

Nevetheless, people do and have paid large sums of money for their HD monitors and I can understand why they would like to have more choice. But to me the biggest deal is that it allows DISH (and their supporters) to say they have the largest amount of HD channels. It's a selling point really - regardless that the shows are very lowly rated (and they have to be since they are only even available to so few US households).

In and of itself, VOOM failed miserably. In order to buy the VOOM satellite they had to contract for the programming for a period of time. I would bet my last dollar thay they would do anything to get out of the programming contract and use that bird (RAINBOW 1) to put on mainstream HD channels - that is the point I never really see discussed. It was the sat that they coveted, not the programming.

1. It's High Definition.
2. It's more than Direct TV has to offer.
3. I like it and I'll take any HD programing that I can.
4. It does have some good programing (Equator, World Sport, Movies, HD News).

All depends what you want to watch. If you like HD than you will get it. I know some of are complaining that is not true HD but, better than the SD channels. At least is 16:9. I can't believe that all the other main cable stations are still in 4:3 only.

VOOM is a big deal of you believe that having a lot of very niche HD content is important. It has really never appealed to the masses, and they have not been able to get any carriage agreements in the US with the exception of DISH.

They would all carry VOOM if they had the space

I would bet my last dollar thay they would do anything to get out of the programming contract and use that bird (RAINBOW 1) to put on mainstream HD channels - that is the point I never really see discussed. It was the sat that they coveted, not the programming.

I agree. Once the carriage agreement comes up for renewal, they will probably make a case to keep two or three of the channels (they will know by that time, which ones people want) or drop the whole bunch. By that time there will likely be enough HD channels out there to put pressure on Voom.

Or voom will step up and start programming more hours of new/original programming and survive. They don't seem to want to fork the cash over, though. (Actually, they probably want to very very much, but don't actually have any cash to fork)

The original Voom content hasn't changed much just the quality of the picture. The resolution of the original voom was very compelling and sometimes I'd watch something just because of that. I usually only watch rave and filmfest although they are far too repetitive.

They would all carry VOOM if they had the space

no - actually they would add the mainstream HD nationals they don't currently have before they EVER added VOOM. DISH wouldn't have even added it if they didn't have to in order to buy the satellite. Just how POWERFUL would the DISH HD offering be if it had 30 TRUE HD nationals right now? For sure much better than VOOM.

Last edited:
1. It's High Definition.
2. It's more than Direct TV has to offer.
3. I like it and I'll take any HD programing that I can.
4. It does have some good programing (Equator, World Sport, Movies, HD News).

All depends what you want to watch. If you like HD than you will get it. I know some of are complaining that is not true HD but, better than the SD channels. At least is 16:9. I can't believe that all the other main cable stations are still in 4:3 only.

1) yes it is HD, no doubt

2) DISH does have MORE 24/7 HD channels. BUT, on a football Sunday, or March Madness, or MLB-EI the number of channels is not only about the same, but HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people watch HD on D*, as compared to the VERY small audience getting and watching VOOM. Also, since HD locals are without a doubt THE MOST WATCHED CHANNELS - snce D* offers millions MORE homes HD lils, the odds are extremely high that more are watching those than VOOM.

3) this is the most important one (if you are being objective). if you want this stuff, you get it. If you want the HD lils, or the sports, you get D*.

4)I'm sure it has some good programming.

I regularly watch Voom. I actually wouldnt have gotten E* in January if not for Voom...I was so sick of commercials...I dont mind them at the top/bottom of the hour though. I'd still watch most of the Voom channels I currently watch (Equator, HDNews, Rave, Rush, Gallery, Ultra, WSport, and Filmfest) even when/if E* adds more National HD locals. Yes, they can be a bit repetitive, but i'm still very glad to have them, and hope that Voom isnt dumped by E*.

I regularly watch Voom. I actually wouldnt have gotten E* in January if not for Voom...I was so sick of commercials...I dont mind them at the top/bottom of the hour though. I'd still watch most of the Voom channels I currently watch (Equator, HDNews, Rave, Rush, Gallery, Ultra, WSport, and Filmfest) even when/if E* adds more National HD locals. Yes, they can be a bit repetitive, but i'm still very glad to have them, and hope that Voom isnt dumped by E*.

I agree. VooM has some great stuff and all commercial free. Yes, lots of repeats but they do add new stuff from time to time.

MonstersHD, FilmFestHD and RaveHD are my personal favorites. HDNews is great for a quick look at the headlines in HD but that will change when the big news networks go HD.

I agree. Once the carriage agreement comes up for renewal, they will probably make a case to keep two or three of the channels (they will know by that time, which ones people want) or drop the whole bunch. By that time there will likely be enough HD channels out there to put pressure on Voom. QUOTE]

Does anyone know when the agreement comes up for renewal?? I do like alot of the voom programing (I actually had voom till the end) but do feel it could be condensed down to several channels and free up some bandwidth for other programing. Like RSN's in HD.

A lot of repeats on Voom. But then repeats are the rule and not the exception these days. And really, if you figure even watching 2 hours every night, there should be enough on during the month that a DVR can record to fill the time. The various Star Wars movies were on HBO last month. Yes they looked very very good. But others have said about Voom, how often can someone watch Star Wars in a given month?

Voom can certainly be better. And the movie channels could have more in a given month... if they add commercials. I would prefer the more limited HD offerings at a given time while also recording other SD things elsewhere. I have recorded then watched a few TNTHD movies *IF* they dont do the dreaded stretch-o-vision and the lip sync isnt bad. And while I can skip the commercials its a PITA. So while Voom isnt great its pretty good and its better to have it than not. Although... I would trade them all if Sci-Fi and Comedy Central went HD :D

If anything, I am more annoyed by the overly dark picture on the Encore channels.

Voom was a leader in HD content. I had Voom till they went belly up. In 2004 they had 30 HD channels. E* just got to that number with the help of Voom programing.
Yes, they could not compete with National Sports, so they provided antenna installation. I think all this free installation was partly responsible for their going under. Their programing appeals to a wide variety of interests, and it is a joy to watch almost commercial free programming.

Very true... and don't forget that Canada and other international countries have the voom channels and some of them at full resolution from what we have read.
Sean, In your HD-Lite list post you indicate the Food channel has Macroblocking. I'v never seen that. A little fuzzy on occassion but I atribute that to maybe camera work. Actually whats cool is we have 2 food channels. With the new format in the EPG its easyer to choose. Is that duel EPG just a trial ballon or is that permanent?.

I would like to see the Voom [sigh] movie channels of old again. Even the gay channel had some decent stuff on it. What was that, Majestic?? I installed E* the day before Voom [sigh] went dark. I watched till it was no more and then watched the blank screen for a few minutes. :)

I use Rave and Equater as a "show and tell" for visiters that want to know what all the hoopala about HD is about. Moov was a novelty I miss. My cat loved it.:D And I never did drugs either.
Gotta admit, the use I now get out of Foom is not worth the money but it is a "port" when all else sucks..

Upgrading to HD - Need New Dish and other ?'s

NO MLB On Dish, Nor is it listed on Dishnetwork.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)