Vudu/Ultraviolet

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Ok, I finally gave in and used Vudu to convert my DVD collection to HD streaming. I would say about 60%+ of my movies converted. Essentially anything from Disney or MGM would not convert. Also some older titles like Back to the Future or Star Wars. They have a deal if you convert 10 or more DVDs it is $2.50 a DVD. I ended up with 70 eligible DVDs. I am going to just give the DVDs to a charity for them to sell.

I never watch DVDs any more. I was cleaning out a room and realized that my DVD collection had not been touched in years, I was only watching BDs. So, I figured I may as well just convert them to HD and have them available on my iPad or Roku. $2.50 is a lot cheaper than buying an BD or iTunes movie.

The rest of the unconverted DVDs are going back into storage and I will wait to see if eventually they become available to convert to HD digital...

I have been redeeming all my UV BDs, I have been trying to avoid UV (in favor of iTunes), but I finally decided it is good for something.

I did exactly the same thing using Vudu. If you are like me, you probably even have DVD's in their shrink wrap. You know, you purchase several cheap DVD's on Black Friday and then never play them, because after the holidays "life" begins again and you never get time.

I upgraded several of my SD DVD's to HDX (1080p) by spending only a few dollars more. I'm still unsure if I should get rid of the DVD's after they are on Vudu. What if the service goes away or their computers crash and they no longer know which discs you converted.

I'm even thinking about doing away with our HD DVD and Blu-ray players and discs. Having so many HD movie choices with online streaming, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc. there really isn't a need for them. In fact, I really don't know if I should keep FTA satellite since most of the programming we watch is now online in HD.

I've used a program called WinX dvd ripper and there's also a converter as well. The only thing it won't rip is a few $5 dvd's from Wallymart that have 6 or 8 movies on a disc...it chokes on them...Anything else does fine..Disney etc...
I've put everything but my Blu Rays and 3D on my 2Tb external drive.

I had a bunch still in the shrink wrap. Essentially once BD came out I stopped all DVD viewing.

Vudu ties in to UltraViolet... You can also watch the movies using any of the Ultraviolet portals (like Vudu, Flixster, etc.).

If UV goes under, yeah I suppose I will lose all my digital copies (just like if iTunes or Amazon VOD were to go under). But, I would not have watched the SD DVDs anyways. Now I can watch some old movies in HD with 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the film.

Vudu is also owned by Walmart, so unlikely to go out of business any time soon.

I've considered running this conversion, I just haven't sat down to figure out what would be eligible and what it would cost. I'm not sure that having the movies in HD would make me more likely to watch them vis-a-vis my current DVD collection. There's just too much content and not enough time to consume it all. But, that aside, this is by far the cheapest way for me to upgrade a good portion of my DVD collection to HD.