Wait them out ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gofastr

Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I don,t like the sound of this DT*lease program>What would happen if everyone that has spent hundreds of dollars on their equipment, some spending thousands on multiple hd dvr/tivo,s.Just sat back and said to DT* that if my old equipment is no longer going to work , you had better set me up at no addn. cost to equipment that will work on their new mpeg 4 system.DT* would have no choice but to swap out all mpeg 2 equipment so not to loose long term subs.
Just would like to know what you fellas think?

Nobody gives a damn about helping out their fellow customers, well very few care. Until HDPVR's are common and mainstream the ignorant public just won't for out 5 bills for a lease.

Unfortunatly we are a tiny segment of the Satellite population, the vast majority use their SD boxes with HDTV monitors and think they have HD.

gofastr,

who said your eq wont work?? do you really think that when the spaceways light up fully that directv is simply going to turn off all the mpeg 2 hd and the SD channels?? that wont happen until 2009 at the least.

yeah, i can see directv turning off 14.75 million cx just to appease 200,000 hd fanatics.

Besides -- when D* is good and ready, there will be an adequate "swap". My money's on free MPEG4 DVR that is LEASED. Basically a waived up-front fee, but you never will own the hardware.

That having been said, we know nothing NOW because D* hasn't even finished making the darn hardware, much less figuring out how to sell / swap it.

Patience, people. :)

markrsmith83 said:
I'd venture to say that a large percentage of DirecTV's HD subs know about MPEG4 and the future.
i would say it is less than 50 percent of the hd subscribers. most just turn the tv on and off, dont understand the term hd lite nor do they care they think everyting is wonderful. i think directv will actually create a problem with this lease mess just based on the fact that you are hitting people in their pocket. slow service is one thing, people will accept mediocrity but once you take money from them it is a whole new game. i for one think directv is trying to slow down how many customers want hdtv as the more customers wanting hdtv the faster directv needs to lay out more subsidies for equipment, so if the customer wantd hdtv they will pay for it not directv. hdtv is still a very small percentage of directv subscribers and i think directv is ok with that and will spend money on sats now and then later spend it on subsidies for the equipment

Last edited:
I agree on everything in this thread- I too was wary on purchasing something in January/February knowing that it would be obsolete by the end of the year with little or no resale value after mpeg 4 is up and running in our area. Now that I have just purchased a HR10-250/Tivo under the new lease agreement, hopefully it will insure that I will be one of the first in line to get the Mpeg 4 dvr when it is available with hopefully a even or nominal fee swap since I bought this direct from DTV. I have had friends who switched out to Comcast but it is too expensive or about the same per month for about the same content with worse PQ (since most of the channels are analog)- the bundles with internet make it attractive but overall it is the same monthly after it is all said and done. DTV gave me a retention discount to match the previous offer, free hd for a year, and 2.00 per month on HBO/SHO for 6 months.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)