"Walled Gardens" and its popularity

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
It would probably be safe to claim that Apple showed (with their AppStore) that you can make money off of "walled gardens".
Microsoft followed in the same footsteps with WinPhone7. OS 6 from RIM might be the same. Carriers even try to restrict Android handsets.

And just to prove how contagious this idea has become, Intel is planning to do this on the chip level
Intel's walled garden plan to put A/V vendors out of business

"Innocent until proven guilty" is turned on its head: "Guilty until proven innocent", i.e. any code is malicious and its your task to prove the opposite.

Funny times ahead...:)

Diogen.

Save those legacy CPU's!

FWIW- I still have an old box here that runs DOS just to control a Diaquest frame controller that will not operate on windows or any of the new hardware beyond a 80486. :) Haven't used it in years but hard to part with it.

non windows software

I know the feeling, I still have a data management program written in clipper way back when I was young and foolish. still do what we needed, except only compatilble with windows 3.2 or earlier and no mouse support. keep saying I will rewrite it with visual basic someday. maybe when there is no more interesting things to do or learn.

After reading those links, I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention.

Fascinating. And aggravating. And for where I work, I'd buy into it in an instant- preventing all sorts of problems when people stray from using those machines strictly for work.

Smart phone come of age

Cell Phone Batteries??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)