Want an EVO on or near launch day?

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
You might want to start looking quickly if you dont have one pre-ordered...at least if my experience is any indication.

I didnt realize until late last week, while I was out of town, that BestBuy was taking pre-orders on the HTC EVO (working too much and neglected my electronics addiction for too long I suppose. :D)

Anyhow...got back into town and went to my fav local BestBuy only to find out they'd just cut off pre-orders as they'd oversold their expected initial shipment. Tried two other smaller local BestBuys, but got the same story. I could place a pre-order one for the second shipment, but the estimate of when the next shipment would be ranged from 1-3 weeks after launch, depending on the store.

So...I dropped by one of the Sprint stores. Mentioned the Evo and the salesman lit up like a Christmas tree gushing about it. Asked if they were taking pre-orders, he said yes, but they already had more reserved than they expected to get. They didnt want a deposit, but took my name/number.

Later wandering thru the mall, I saw Radio Shack was taking pre-orders as well, but they wouldn't give me a straight answer about when I could expect one if I pre-ordered it. They danced around the question any way I asked it, so I didnt bother with them. Thought about it for a sec, and realized there was a small Radio Shack across town in an old strip mall that doesnt get much traffic, so I went there and they said if I pre-ordered one there, I would get it on the day it comes out...so I took a chance and dropped a deposit. Guess I'll find out on the 4th if that was a good move or not!

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads-up! :up

i just pre ordered mine from a small radio shack outlet store in the area. i'm guaranteed a phone on june 4 and will get my 20 dollar accessory card when the balance is paid in full.

btw, those of you who have sprint and are in florida.....i was told 4g will be released next week in conjunction with the release of the phone!

there will definitely be a ten dollar bump in price for 4g which i don't mind since it is being launched here. just can't decide if i want to use the phone as a hotspot and pay another 30 dollars on top of the $110. but i can't wait.

there will definitely be a ten dollar bump in price for 4g which i don't mind since it is being launched here. just can't decide if i want to use the phone as a hotspot and pay another 30 dollars on top of the $110. but i can't wait.
that's not bad compared to what was suspected before that it would be a $30 charge for 4g instead of $10

that's not bad compared to what was suspected before that it would be a $30 charge for 4g instead of $10
I still think it's a bit of a d**k move for them to charge you $10 even if you CAN'T use it. I'm in CT and we're probably not going to get 4G until 2011, yet I have to waste at least $60 a year on something I can't even use. If they made it OPTIONAL, like for $10 extra a month you had access to their 4G network, that would make sense.

rey, the 30 bucks to enable the evo as a hotspot is cheaper than the 60 dollars you would pay if you have mobile broadband and a plan. and that's if you have the simply everything plan. otherwise, its 70 dollars. the evo is suppose to enable 8 wifi devices.

They already have the phone rooted so I'm sure someone will release some software to turn it into a hotspot like they do with all the other phones.

I would love to have one except I'm not sure I could get over the onscreen keyboard, but the money to move plans plus the $10 is just too much for my blood. $480+ more a year doesn't sit well with me.

I still think it's a bit of a d**k move for them to charge you $10 even if you CAN'T use it. I'm in CT and we're probably not going to get 4G until 2011, yet I have to waste at least $60 a year on something I can't even use. If they made it OPTIONAL, like for $10 extra a month you had access to their 4G network, that would make sense.

Kind of like AT&T charging for iphone data/3g even if you can't get their 3g coverage.

I agree that the 4g should be optional since the phone will be popular and they should let people add the 4g on when it comes to their area. While I like the Evo, I will not get a 4g capable phone until I can get 4g from sprint in my area. It's close, just 40 miles north of here so the rollout is moving right along for sure. I've never been disappointed with Sprints 3g speeds anyways. 4g will just be gravy.

Kind of like AT&T charging for iphone data/3g even if you can't get their 3g coverage.

I agree that the 4g should be optional since the phone will be popular and they should let people add the 4g on when it comes to their area. While I like the Evo, I will not get a 4g capable phone until I can get 4g from sprint in my area. It's close, just 40 miles north of here so the rollout is moving right along for sure. I've never been disappointed with Sprints 3g speeds anyways. 4g will just be gravy.
Right. The extra $10 is by no means a dealbreaker. Given the fact that they have that low "everything" plan, and extra $10 still puts you below comparable plans on most other providers. Still comes across as annoying though. I think this would be harder to swallow if a company like Verizon did this since their rates are so high to begin with.

It would be nice if I could upgrade my 2 1/2 year old Sprint Mogul for $199 and keep my $30 SERO plan intact. I'll stop dreaming now... :D As much as I like this new phone, I'll just keep my Mogul in service since I don't need to be paying $70 per month ($40 more) just to have faster Internet and services I don't need like GPS (I have Garmins) and SprintTV (don't have time and don't like watching TV on a cell phone). Again, love this phone but not enough to get rid of my SERO plan.

GPS works on the Mogul by the way. If you want to hang on to the SERO I'd just wait for the EVO adopters looking to sale their TP2's.

GPS works on the Mogul by the way. If you want to hang on to the SERO I'd just wait for the EVO adopters looking to sale their TP2's.
I know...just don't need GPS. Finding an HTC TP2 would be nice, but it would have to be cheap since I can get a brand new one for $199 from Sprint...and I don't plan on leaving my SERO plan anytime soon. To be honest, I am hoping to get a TP2 directly from Sprint for $49-$99 after discounts. We shall see...

My dad wants this phone, and since his current phone died he's basically counting on me to get this for him. Sadly he doesn't seem to realize that this is basically Sprint's iPhone and that just because it's AVAILABLE tomorrow doesn't mean he's going to get one tomorrow (or at least get a confirmed order tomorrow.) He also doesn't understand that this is more of a portable computer than it is a phone. Hell he didn't even know that the thing didn't have a hard keyboard. I can already picture him calling me the day after he gets this complaining "I hate this mother f***ing keyboard!" This phone is going to be SOO underutilized in his hands...At least it's a nice way for me to try it out and see if the hype is justified..

Just got a call from Radio Shack a little while ago. I'm scheduled to pick mine up tomorrow morning @ 8:15! :D

Mission Accomplished here! I was the first in the door (small Radio Shack in a quiet part of town), and got their first one! This thing is pretty damn spiffy! :yes

Last edited:
It would be nice if I could upgrade my 2 1/2 year old Sprint Mogul for $199 and keep my $30 SERO plan intact. I'll stop dreaming now... :D As much as I like this new phone, I'll just keep my Mogul in service since I don't need to be paying $70 per month ($40 more) just to have faster Internet and services I don't need like GPS (I have Garmins) and SprintTV (don't have time and don't like watching TV on a cell phone). Again, love this phone but not enough to get rid of my SERO plan.

on Best Buy's website, you can order the EVO and keep your existing plan (SERO)
. . . am I correct in assuming this can be processed but will be discovered and changed by someone either within the first month or so?

on Best Buy's website, you can order the EVO and keep your existing plan (SERO)
. . . am I correct in assuming this can be processed but will be discovered and changed by someone either within the first month or so?

Even if some how you get by without doing an upgrade(downgrade in most cases) of your plan when you order the phone you'll run into a brickwall when you go to activate it. The activation system is setup to not allow Android, PalmOS, and a few other new phones on older plans. No getting around, even the retention guys with all the powers can not do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts