SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Yes I know its old but I'm a geek.

Thanks

No DVHS was the first High Definition Video recorder. It used tapes and along with a DISH 5000 receiver with HD adapter you could record on the tapes. :)

Of course programmers had a bird that people could record their HD stuff with no copy protection so it forced DISH to move to 8PSK faster then it wasnted to for its HD streaming which in turn made the DISH 5000 a door stop as it could not decode the 8PSK signals.

I remember the box, but didn't know about it being a driver for 8PSK. Thanks for the info.

That was not the only use of DVHS. It will record in HD via firewire output from a source such as tv tuner or cable box. Pre-recorded DTheater tapes were also sold that would play on certain units. I still have two decks that I use every now and then, along with blanks and several DTheater tapes. One of the decks (JVC HM-DT100) has a built in OTA ATSC tuner and HDMI output. wikipedia has some information on the format: D-VHS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
You can record from to tsreader to a dvhs tape.

I just find it so cool that you can watch hd from tape LOL

I have over 500 movies recorded from Discovery HD, PPV HD, HBO HD and Showtime HD. I also have the first Olympics in HD and Superbowl in HD. While I do have a few true DVHS tapes, a trick we discovered is that the actual tape stock was identical to SVHS in a different shell. Two holes drilled in the shell would make your SVHS tape work like a DVHS clone. Many of my tapes were recorded with the first Dish 5000 / Panasonic DVHS VCR and 8VSB tuner.

Scott- Richard Adams developed an 8PSK translator to 4PSK for the stream and it worked on the Discovery HD channel which was the first 8PSK channel Dish put on the air. While, there was a rumor that Dish developed 8PSK in a response to Hollywood who feared DVHS, that was untrue. They developed 8PSK for resolving the bandwidth squeeze that additional HD channels was causing. The Dish 6000 receiver was the first to use an 8PSK plugin module board. I had one of the first of these to be sent out on test. I also had my 6000 adapted with Richard Adams 1394 circuit board and Linux translator to decode the 8PSK signal for use with the DVHS VCR's. It grabbed the signal downstream of the card circuit and converted it back to 4PSK, then the 6000 continued to process the stream for video and audio output, including output from the 139 card. It did not affect the sat signal encryption since all it's access was downstream of the card's signal decryption circuits. Richard Adams also made a 1394 output board for the RCA DTC100 which I installed and was able to record to DVHS with that receiver. There were three DVHS VCR's made. The first was the Panasonic with separate tuner, then came the Mitsubishi, and finally the JVC. I have all three. The JVC was the only one that actually had a HD component output with optical audio for DD5.1. The others recorded 1080i x 1920 DD5.1 but required some special 1394 hardware to play back the tapes. What finally killed the copying of movies to DVHS was not 8PSK but was that the special chips we used in the 1394 circuit did not support the new revocation list handshake required for the hardware to connect the 1394 devices. This was the first real digital copy protection that required the equipment manufacturers to add. Soon the 6000 and DTC100 did not connect. But anyone with a JVC DVHS HM-DH40000U could still play the tapes made by the JVC or tapes made by the earlier Panasonic. The format became a nightmare to operate. A year alter the first DVR was released and that ended my work with DVHS. Richard Adams saw the writing on the wall for DVHS and ended his development too. There was another company that made an Adams knockoff using a different chipset that worked but it also fell victim to the 1394 revocation listing scheme.

Disposition of my DVHS library here: I have destroyed about half my collection for space reasons. The rest of the tapes are packed away in cartons. I will not sell or give them away due to the violation it would be to fair use copyright law. Sorry.

A major limitation of the DVHS format is that it is a tape based linear delivery system and unlike disk, it cannot do error correction of the streamed bits. Even D-Theater tapes suffered this problem and QA consistency would doom the product from wide acceptance. Therefore dropouts are a serious problem and by design, can't be corrected as the tape is now past the heads. Disk can circulate and correct the bitstream with parity. So, the DVHS (oxide) tape bandwidth was about to reach it's limitation with HD. Metal tape with miniDV and DVCAM HD as well as DVCPRO, and HDCAM were able to pack enough error free pickup to resolve this because these metal formats had much higher bandwidth than oxide. These metal tape based HD formats allowed HD Tape to have a few more years of life.

Last edited:
Did you mean 1986? Back then I do believe it was recorded in HD analog by NHK in Japan. I think I saw a demo of that at NAB in 1988. But the first Olympics to be broadcast in HD here was with 8VSB digital by NBC from SLC, Utah. Our local CE at the station called me up to let me know as he just received a modulator for the station two days before it aired. They had no way to record the HD broadcast and would just retransmit the network live. So, I recorded the event and he came to watch it at my house. I recorded it with the Panasonic 8VSB tuner and VCR. I used a length of wire for an antenna since the station's tower was just 4 miles away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts