Warner announces extended HD DVD Support

I could be simplifying this too much... but they announced they would be releasing all of their HD-DVD movies three weeks after the Blu-Ray counterparts, right? So they looked at the calendar and said "our last HD release is in May." Then later, they realized that if the last release was scheduled to be May XX (fill in the date), that would mean the last HD-DVD release would be three weeks later.....

Im glad one guy in here can actually add.

Yep they are not extending support, just releasing titles on HD-DVD 3 weeks later than the Blu-Ray release until their contract runs out. Might as well close this thread.

One side had to lose for HDM to have a shot at DVD supremacy. It happened to be HD - just accept it and move on.
Was the reason "avoiding consumer confusion" or a bag of money, doesn't matter anymore.
Short of a miracle, it is a one horse race now: Blu-ray. The questions are:
Can it take over DVD?
Do you want it to win?
Will you help (buy movie/players)?

Diogen.

No, No and Hell No.

No, No and YES!

Close enough. ;)

I am still amazed at the people that would be foolish enough to penalize their eyes by taking away the joy of HDM since their team did not win. Instead of ensuring one survives, lets all ensure they both die so that we are stuck with a low rez settop box that downloads movies.

Matter of fact, im going to sell my BD30 right now on ebay and buy an Appletv.

Close enough. ;)

I am still amazed at the people that would be foolish enough to penalize their eyes by taking away the joy of HDM since their team did not win. Instead of ensuring one survives, lets all ensure they both die so that we are stuck with a low rez settop box that downloads movies.

Yes i agree very weird!?

I could be simplifying this too much... but they announced they would be releasing all of their HD-DVD movies three weeks after the Blu-Ray counterparts, right? So they looked at the calendar and said "our last HD release is in May." Then later, they realized that if the last release was scheduled to be May XX (fill in the date), that would mean the last HD-DVD release would be three weeks later.....

I love the infinite optimism of HD DVD boosters.

What Warner says: Catalog releases will be delayed by 3 weeks as part of their efforts to favor Blu-ray.

What HD DVD boosters hear: Wahoo! 3 more weeks of support, today. Tomorrow they'll come around, fire the executives that decided to back Blu-ray (after all we read on a blog that they didn't have the authority to make that decision), and exclusively support HD DVD like they were meant for all along.

One side had to lose for HDM to have a shot at DVD supremacy. It happened to be HD - just accept it and move on.
Was the reason "avoiding consumer confusion" or a bag of money, doesn't matter anymore.
Short of a miracle, it is a one horse race now: Blu-ray. The questions are:
Can it take over DVD?
Do you want it to win?
Will you help (buy movie/players)?

Diogen.
Say I did consider BD where are the players that have all the features that HD DVD lovers have come to love. Also (bigger issue for J6P) who wants to pay $500 for an incomplete 1.1 player.

So to answer your question:

NO
NO
Won't buy incomplete version 1.1 players for $500, thus NO to movies.

Another big part of my future purchases is to wait and see if Toshiba's up coming high powered upconverters do what they say they can do. If they can that'll hold over untill downloading gets its act together.

Say I did consider BD where are the players that have all the features that HD DVD lovers have come to love.
I didn't mean you should start "loving" Blu-ray. I never will even if only because they have Sony as a member.
Just be realistic. BD will probably be the only source of high video/audio quality movies starting shortly. Be pragmatic.

I don't think BD will have a full featured player (like HD is today) for at least a year. The BD gang is mostly old hardware companies, they don't know software.
Another big part of my future purchases is to wait and see if Toshiba's up coming high powered upconverters do...
I don't think this will happen (although I believe it is very doable).
I think Sony will buy Toshiba's non-agressive stance (at least neutrality) some time next year...

Diogen.

Say I did consider BD where are the players that have all the features that HD DVD lovers have come to love.

I've had a HD-DVD player since 8/2006 and the only 'special' feature I use on it is the ethernet port to update firmware so newer movies will play. Sorry, when I want to watch a movie I want to watch the movie, not surf the web to buy movie merchandies or open a PIP window to disctract me from the movie.

I've had a HD-DVD player since 8/2006 and the only 'special' feature I use on it is the ethernet port to update firmware so newer movies will play. Sorry, when I want to watch a movie I want to watch the movie, not surf the web to buy movie merchandies or open a PIP window to disctract me from the movie.

I take it you mostly rent. (So do I.) There's no way I wouldn't look at the extra features of a movie I bought. For $30, $20 even $15 I would feel like I cheated myself if I didn't check out the extras.

I take it you mostly rent. (So do I.) There's no way I wouldn't look at the extra features of a movie I bought. For $30, $20 even $15 I would feel like I cheated myself if I didn't check out the extras.

Now I do, I did buy a about 25 total HD-DVD's and tried out some of the special features a few times but just not interested. Last time was with the Transformer HD-DVD, just doesn't do anything for me.

Close enough. ;)

:up:up:up

What I am amazed at is that anyone with a lick of sense could possibly believe that a upconverted 480p picture could ever match or come close to a 1080p picture. These folks must need glasses and don't use them when they watch true HD on a calibrated HDTV! You can not improve what is not there - never could -- never will!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts