Warner, Fox, Disney to Launch Streaming Sports Joint Venture

But what they can they really do block ALL ISP subs from the system that drops ESPN forming buying SportStream?
The cable co's can just say We don't have ESPN and if you want ESPN buy SportStream.
I see what you're saying. Theoretically, if, say, Verizon Fios stopped including Disney-owned channels including ESPN in their cable TV packages, then they wouldn't be able to sell the "SportStream" package/app either. But their customers using Fios internet service would still be able to subscribe to the standalone SportStream app on their Roku or Fire TV or Google TV or Apple TV box, with monthly billing through one of those app stores. Verizon would not be part of that transaction; nothing to do with SportStream would be coming from Verizon's own servers, although the app's live video stream would travel across Verizon's network to reach viewers using Fios home internet.

Instead of trying to fix what is wrong with their services, getting upset and/or threatening to sue, to put competition out of business even before it starts, just because they are afraid this new service will speed up cord cutting.

But what is their excuse why cord cutting/nevers is happening in the first place.

Cable/Satellite had their chance to fix things years ago, but they just continued to keep fleecing their customers.

Instead of trying to fix what is wrong with their services, getting upset and/or threatening to sue, to put competition out of business even before it starts, just because they are afraid this new service will speed up cord cutting.

But what is their excuse why cord cutting/nevers is happening in the first place.

Cable/Satellite had their chance to fix things years ago, but they just continued to keep fleecing their customers.

I blame the networks for the demise of traditional pay TV. They added worthless channels and put them in a bucket with desirable channels and forced the providers to take them all and I suspect they'll do the same with this bundle they're foisting on the consumer.

Wait what?! The DVR was the beginning of the end. Advertising dropped, rates went up, consolidation, rates went up more due to bargaining power 10x'ing in channel's favor, and then sports got insane, with companies leveraging ridiculous amounts of money to broadcast most sports. Even the EPL is brining in huge chunk of change from American broadcasting.

The irony is that sports are going a la carte (again) because they had to. They started a la carte, and things were alright. Then Fox happened, and that worked until people stopped paying for cable/sat in part because of a generational thing and part because it was getting pricey.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Wait what?! The DVR was the beginning of the end. Advertising dropped, rates went up, consolidation, rates went up more due to bargaining power 10x'ing in channel's favor, and then sports got insane, with companies leveraging ridiculous amounts of money to broadcast most sports. Even the EPL is brining in huge chunk of change from American broadcasting.

The irony is that sports are going a la carte (again) because they had to. They started a la carte, and things were alright. Then Fox happened, and that worked until people stopped paying for cable/sat in part because of a generational thing and part because it was getting pricey.
well they need let systems take sports out of the basic package
let systems sell an sports only package or an mini basic with the some mainline channels.
let people get the basic mainline + the non sports higher package channels with out being forced to buy your RSN + ESPN BASIC + ESPN FULL + BIG TEN + FS2.

in uk, australia and new zealand tv system sports is an add on.

The DVR was the beginning of the end.
Depends on how you look at it. The DVR was after all a reaction to the increased number of commercials per hour of programming, many of which were significantly louder (and arguably really annoying) than the actual programming. Take Star Trek. In 1966, episodes were 50 minutes long. By the end of Voyager in 2001, episodes were 44 minutes long. 6 minutes is 10% of an hour that we lost to additional commercials. No wonder people bought/rented DVRs when they became available.

Depends on how you look at it. The DVR was after all a reaction to the increased number of commercials per hour of programming, many of which were significantly louder (and arguably really annoying) than the actual programming. Take Star Trek. In 1966, episodes were 50 minutes long. By the end of Voyager in 2001, episodes were 44 minutes long. 6 minutes is 10% of an hour that we lost to additional commercials. No wonder people bought/rented DVRs when they became available.
But it did teach people they no longer needed Live TV, then On Demand came around and help with that also.

No we are back to Live TV via streaming services, currently CBS,NBC, Showtime, CNN, Hallmark, soon on the mini bundle, FOX, ABC, TBS,TNT, TruTV and all the sports channels.

let systems sell an sports only package or an mini basic with the some mainline channels.
let people get the basic mainline + the non sports higher package channels with out being forced to buy your RSN + ESPN BASIC + ESPN FULL + BIG TEN + FS2.
I like to point out, many traditional services already offer skinny type services, but of course, they are way over priced.

Charter has the pick 15 channels, but with fees and other changes, it is close to $90 dollars, Comcast has locals only, also with all the fees, almost $70, DirecTV has Entertainment, no sports except ESPN, over $100 .

Then there are the streaming services, Philo, Friendly, Sling.

in uk, australia and new zealand tv system sports is an add on.
this would work, except you're assuming it's mostly ESPN (it kinda is, but it's not). all of the big 4 networks have sports built into their carriage now and you'd also have to strip away TBS/TNT too. it's not just random stuff like FS2 anymore (which costs 50c or something?)

• Haha
Reactions: Mike0616
article said:
Fubo also took aim at the media companies’ requirement that it carry multiple non-sports channels as a condition of getting access to the likes of ESPN and FS1. The forced “bundling” now puts it at a disadvantage over the new JV, which will only carry sports-centric channels. It added that Fubo gets charged licensing rates that are 30% to 50% higher than other distributors.
I think this is the critical part. It is effectively a monopoly advantage. The trouble, still will be the probably wise and weaselly inclusion of the TBS, TNT like channels, which make this a "bundle" instead of a "sport bundle". And a court could be likely to let that weaselly plan get past the door.

But, without Disney, Discovery, Fox channels not included, Fubo do have at least an argument to work with.

I think this is the critical part. It is effectively a monopoly advantage. The trouble, still will be the probably wise and weaselly inclusion of the TBS, TNT like channels, which make this a "bundle" instead of a "sport bundle". And a court could be likely to let that weaselly plan get past the door.
This plan has already been thru the legal departments of all three companies, they all believe there will not be any issues, because this new service will be paying the same per sub fee as Charter, Comcast, etc do.

Again, the service itself was not designed with major profits planned for it, just to get back per sub fees lost because of cord cutting, as long as this new service does not lose money, they will be happy.
But, without Disney, Discovery, Fox channels not included, Fubo do have at least an argument to work with.
By the time this moves though the Federal Court, Fubo will be history, about out of cash, service is still losing money, investors have cut and run, mostly due to the fact that the stock price has gone from $32 two years ago, down to $1.90 today, they do not believe they can turn it around.

Fubo has gained about 400,000 this year, YTTV gained 3 Million.

I personally hate how everybody is launching "their own" streaming platform. Who enjoys paying for 3, 4, 5 streaming packages? How is this saving money from cable? Im glad to see cable go, I thought internet streaming would be a better alternative, but IDK. I like having all my channels on one platform that I can scroll through.

I personally hate how everybody is launching "their own" streaming platform. Who enjoys paying for 3, 4, 5 streaming packages? How is this saving money from cable? Im glad to see cable go, I thought internet streaming would be a better alternative, but IDK. I like having all my channels on one platform that I can scroll through.
What is wrong with having 3-5 streaming services, you still save a lot of money, for example-
Hulu with Disney and ESPN+ $25
Paramount+ w Showtime $12
Peacock $11
MAX $20
AMC+ $9

With that, you would get the majority of what is on Paid Live TV, in the highest quality, no commercials, Live Feeds, Streaming Shows, movies, total price $77 for 7 services.

Now how much is that one platform, no HBO or Showtime, no streaming shows, no 1080P/4K, I bet it is still more then what I priced above.

I just love when those that come in here to put down streaming, then try and use pricing to do so, yet are always wrong.

As long as Cable/Satellite keeps raising the price like they do, 3 of them twice a year, streaming we continue to be the better deal.

It is cheap for now.... I dont rock with YT. I dont like them as a company, so I wont pay them for anything. They like to censor and nit pick. I find it unamerican.

If you don't mind the disjointed experience, more power to you. I dont like it. I dont like these smart TVs, I like my dumb TV, no cameras or microphone to spy on me. If I want streaming, I use a OTT device. I had Roku for a little bit. Channels would glitch up occasionally. Audio would stop syncing up. I would have to restart it. Bahh. Maybe the other ones are better. I use my own IPTV box and combine all my feeds. I have OTA and IP streams right now. I am going to play with these satellites and see what else I can add.

I was hoping this FAST TV would do something cool, but even these guys are complaining about the platforms. We helped build them up, and now we are getting terms dictated to us! I dont care though... I tried to build my own local IPTV service... these guys couldnt spare a 10mbps stream and 30 minutes to set it up. I hope they love these big corporate platforms, because thats all they are ever going to have.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo and AZ.
make everything a la carte they said. i only want to pay for what i want to watch they said....

why is everything a la carte they ask. I don't want this. put everything into a bundle they ask....

It is cheap for now.... I dont rock with YT. I dont like them as a company, so I wont pay them for anything. They like to censor and nit pick. I find it unamerican.

If you don't mind the disjointed experience, more power to you. I dont like it. I dont like these smart TVs, I like my dumb TV, no cameras or microphone to spy on me. If I want streaming, I use a OTT device. I had Roku for a little bit. Channels would glitch up occasionally. Audio would stop syncing up. I would have to restart it. Bahh. Maybe the other ones are better. I use my own IPTV box and combine all my feeds. I have OTA and IP streams right now. I am going to play with these satellites and see what else I can add.

I was hoping this FAST TV would do something cool, but even these guys are complaining about the platforms. We helped build them up, and now we are getting terms dictated to us! I dont care though... I tried to build my own local IPTV service... these guys couldnt spare a 10mbps stream and 30 minutes to set it up. I hope they love these big corporate platforms, because thats all they are ever going to have.
what smart tv has a microphone and a camera that is spying on you?

i agree that i don't like google and that is my hesitancy toward YTTV, but it's absolutely not because they censor, rather because they have a rather loose interpretation of data privacy rights. i have no idea where you're getting this censor business from.

Reactions: Mike0616
what smart tv has a microphone and a camera that is spying on you?

i agree that i don't like google and that is my hesitancy toward YTTV, but it's absolutely not because they censor, rather because they have a rather loose interpretation of data privacy rights. i have no idea where you're getting this censor business from.
High end Sonys come with a built in microphone...probably others too. The camera is an add-on device... for now. It is only a matter of time before they include it in the TV itself.. for your convenience of course.

Look up the 'Vault 7' release and all the CIA hacking tools that got out there. If they put a backdoor in, then others can exploit it too. I find that creepy and a total violation, even if "I have nothing to hide". But on a more realistic day to day level, they will leave the microphone on and record what you say, run in through key word filters, so they can target advertising. They pull crap like that. There was a case with an Alexa, and I thought another one with a Smart TV where the authorities pulled the recordings.

I dont want to get into politics here. I join a forum like this because I enjoy technology, and I dont think this is an appropriate venue. I have had comments pulled off YT. Even if you dont threaten someone, or use vulgar language, if it is on a topic they dont like, you will get censored. This whole, "I dont believe you thing" is kind of funny to me.... if I have to explain it to you, then you arent paying attention. Just go back to your happy unassuming life. The government loves you and will take great care of you. No need to worry about anything.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo