WDSI FOX 61 on WTVC 9.2?

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
As od Sept 1, I noticed WDSI Fox 61.1 is now on WTVC 9.2 HD replacing This TV. Funny thing is on Comcast, This TV is still on. Also no extra info on WDEF 12.3. It still shows Bounce from 12.2

Wow, I am getting FOX 61 for the first time since they went all Digital! :)
I hope this stays like this!

weird as they are not owned by the same people

I can see the crossover. VHF tends to travel and bend better in the mountains than UHF. SO this is for the folks who cant get 61 but can get 9

I called WTVC today and they said they were doing some" work" whatever that means. The lady didn't know much. I don't think she knew what she was talking about

Just recalled WTVC and they are having station issues. BUT THEY HAVE AQUIRED WDSI AND WFLI. New channels are as follows...
9.1 ABC 9.2 FOX 9.3 WEATHER NATION
53.1 CW 53.2 MYNETWORK 53.3 METV
61.1FOX 61.2 MYNETWORK 61.3 THISTV
Hope this helps for people in and.around Chattanooga. Andy

Reactions: Mr Tony and KE4EST
Yep when I saw this thread, I thought I bet it is SD.
Was surprised to see HD, but understand why it is 720.

Ahhh. I assumed it was because it was a sub-channel.
Learn something every day. :)

Reactions: Mr Tony
ABC and FOX are 720p
NBC and CBS are 1080i
PBS is **normally** 1080i...but some stations do 720p. My local PBS (KAWB 22) does 720p. Mainly due to FIVE subchannels

I know in places where NBC & CBS are on same RF station the subchannel is 720p. In Fargo, ND CBS is 720p because of it being a subchannel on NBC.

Reactions: ejb1980
With FOX on 9.2, MNT on 53.2 and ThisTV possibly going away (or moving to WRCB or WDEF), it looks like Sinclair is getting ready to take Channel 61 dark. After all, it has the smallest coverage area of the three stations.

There is no information suggesting that WDSI is preparing to go off the air nor that This TV will be going away or moving. No station Sinclair has purchased or been involved in has gone off the air, even if affiliations were shuffled around.

- Trip

Just curious, why did they switch FOX to 9.2? I know Sinclair acquired WDSI and WFLI but I was thinking it was because VHF is easier to pick up in the Chattanooga area so the big 4 would all be easier to get.

Sinclair doesnt own them....they just run the 2 other stations (they cant own them outright)

I was thinking it was because VHF is easier to pick up in the Chattanooga area so the big 4 would all be easier to get.
I already answered that in post 3 ;)

I can see the crossover. VHF tends to travel and bend better in the mountains than UHF. SO this is for the folks who cant get 61 but can get 9

There is no information suggesting that WDSI is preparing to go off the air nor that This TV will be going away or moving. No station Sinclair has purchased or been involved in has gone off the air, even if affiliations were shuffled around.

- Trip
Isn't it possible that the new owners of WDSI are going to participate in the upcoming spectrum auction and sell the license for that frequency (UHF 40, which is pretty high up and would be desirable for cell phone use, no)? There's no reason why that info would be publicly available yet if that's the case, right?

Just curious, why did they switch FOX to 9.2? I know Sinclair acquired WDSI and WFLI but I was thinking it was because VHF is easier to pick up in the Chattanooga area so the big 4 would all be easier to get.
My parents live near Ft. Oglethorpe and have DISH, which sometimes goes out when it rains, so I made an indoor VHF antenna for them to pick up as many local stations as they can. I cut it to a length to specifically match Channel 9's wavelength and it turns out that's the only local high-power station they can't get with it! (Well, actually it would get 9 if it was positioned mid-air out in the middle of the living room but that's not happening.) Channels 12 and 53 are strong, while channels 3, 45 and 61 are mostly clear but sometime have a bit of break-up (which I'm sure could be alleviated with a pre-amp).

Reactions: andy_horton