Weather Channel Local Content Feedback

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When did this feature start? As of this past weekend (9/26) I wasnt seeing it. I have two older Hughes SD receivers (4 years old, I dont know the model numbers off hand).

It stopped working completely on my HR21-700. It didn't work yesterday, and a menu reboot and even a RBR didn't help. The local on the 8s is just gone. The interactive feature still works. If I press the red button I get the Weather Channel active feature. But the local on the 8s is gone.

Edit: Spoke too soon. It finally started working again. Don't know what was going on.

Last edited:
It does what it could do for a dbs receiver given the lack of system memory and a hard drive says alot. I dont expect the local radar image to be looped as that requires more onboard memory and so far as I know the app is using the onboard flash memory for this to work as it does now.

For those having issues with the weather map showing another state make sure that your zipcode make sure that your zipcode has been put into your receiver(s) wich it should have been done during the initial setup process when you were installed and or upgraded.

The feature works on my D111 but not my H20 though I wouldnt miss the feature if it was never there as I can easily live without it.

Well it now works on my H20 and its still something I can live without due to its extreme lack of features that wont be available anytime soon.

90245 = El Segundo, CA -- BUGS!

...on the 8s, appears to be slightly erratic, loading sometimes, then go for hours with just the generic national feed. Also, twice now, during the night, the receivers have re-set to the El Segundo zip code.

I like the new feature. I would second what I read in an earlier post: put the radar in motion. It makes it much more useful.

I can live without the fancy graphics and animated maps; I realize there is not a $5000 Weatherstar decoder built into my satellite receiver.

I noticed that pressing INFO or GUIDE during LO8s will mess it up and it will not work again until I change to a different channel then back.

It usually takes between 1 & 5 minutes after tuning to TWC before LO8s will show up. It has to wait for the data for your zipcode to come down the datastream. If you happen to tune to TWC right before your local data is streamed down, it will work right away. If you tune in after just missing your local data, you have to wait until the stream cycles through again--I'm not sure how long that takes.

I'm a big weather buff, and I'm not using it at all.

The static radar image is pretty useless. Using the red button takes too long. It's in sloppy looking SD, etc. I just go online for weather information.

If it were improved, I'd look again. But as it stands now, it might as well be Planet Green. No interest here at all.

Jeff

It seems to be pretty consistent that when the little banner pops up that says press the red button for Local Weather Now or green to Exit, if you ignore it then LO8's work. If you press the RED or GREEN button to clear it, then LO8's will not come up from that point until you change the channel to something else then back.

Local Weather Enhancements. In my case there are several reporting stations in NW Indiana. I am near Chicago but the cities it lists for my zip code are all in Illinois. Would be nice if the database more closely resembled that of the local weather on the cable system which my dad has.

In my example I would like to see Gary, IN, Valparaiso, IN and Lafayette, IN on the regional weather page, not 4 towns from Illinois, one which is north of Chicago.

Eventually placing the cities on maps would be nice too like current cable local weather.

BTW, the reason he still has cable is local weather. I think I'll get him over to DirecTV when the local weather is equal to what he gets on cable. He doesn't use a PC like I do so TWC is his main source.

I know its in its early stages and its been years coming. I'm very happy to finally see local weather available and I hope they dedicate significant resources to getting it on par with the cable systems.

In the future wouldn't be awesome if there were home style weather instruments you could buy and plug into the USB port on your DVR for real local weather? Ok that one is dreaming but the rest I was serious about.

Thanks to DirecTV and TWC for working on getting the local weather working. I can't wait to see future enhancements!

I think it is not usable.

For the Radar there is a BIG WORD OMAHA on the map where you would be looking for storms or ice storms.

Also the Temps seems to be behind by 3 hours compared to the local TV and there online page.

With out moving radar maps I wont be using it.

local radar is kinda behind in time. Be nice if they had a zoom image of City or zipcode you pick on the radar like you have on TWC radar page.

Interactive

The Active feature would be 100% better without the WW(F...E)) whatever in the
lower left side of the primary active screen.

The Weather Radar map is to wide, i.e. covers too much area.

The new Weather Cannel app on the iPhone is much better.

Overall on the active application on DTV, not bad but the loud ad screen needs to go
(with out using the mute button).

The background clouds, TWC logo, and the LO8s logo: Is that generated by TWC or by the DTV receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)