Weather Channel: Locals on the 8's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think that The Weather Channel is lying to me about all this. So if what they say is completely honest, then this will be really cool!

Let wait and see before we make any speculations.

It would only be really cool if it would also be on the HD channel IMO. I won't bother with it if it's only in SD.

Just go in and set you favorites. You can uncheck the SD duplicates you don't want. Sure it's not as easy as hitting a couple of buttons on your remote, but I did it and it takes five minutes.

So if you don't want to to watch the SD version then you can use the Interactive Part of it. Like The red button on demand and the Active Channel.

They are working on the HD and it will be released later. I don't know when.

Thanks

TWC is currently beta testing their HD weather star equipment. So I have no clue when the HD on the 8s will be launched. This time its TWC not Directv. It may be a while.

I'll post more info, if and when I get it.

They need to make the weather alert for all channels where if there is a tornado warning, it will notify all in the effective area on all channels. That would be a true groundbreaking enhansement.

They need to make the weather alert for all channels where if there is a tornado warning, it will notify all in the effective area on all channels. That would be a true groundbreaking enhansement.

In my opinion, if they do that, I would want it to be optional. I have a weather radio and wouldn't want my shows getting interrupted.

It would be a good (in fact, great) thing to add, but only if you could somehow turn the alerts off so that it doesn't interrupt viewing. I've actually always thought this was one plus with satellite over cable. (not being interrupted with a weather alert that may not be for your area.)

just my 2 cents.

In my opinion, if they do that, I would want it to be optional. I have a weather radio and wouldn't want my shows getting interrupted.

It would be a good (in fact, great) thing to add, but only if you could somehow turn the alerts off so that it doesn't interrupt viewing. I've actually always thought this was one plus with satellite over cable. (not being interrupted with a weather alert that may not be for your area.)

just my 2 cents.

I thought I read somewhere that the FCC was mandating that cable and DBS companies provide weather warning information to the local views where a warning was issued. I did find link FCC Fact Sheet on Emergency Access - National Association of the Deaf

I am all set up. First set up a Favs list with the SD duplicates turned off.

Then turn on the SD duplicates and then tweak your Favs list so only the HD is shown.

Make sure the weather channel HD and SD are both on your Favs list.

I thought I read somewhere that the FCC was mandating that cable and DBS companies provide weather warning information to the local views where a warning was issued. I did find link FCC Fact Sheet on Emergency Access - National Association of the Deaf

Hmm... now that's interesting. We'll have to see what happens. Besides, I have a feeling that during a tornado warning, there's probably a good chance I won't have signal anyway, which would also interrupt viewing. LOL!

Like the other Dish Network customers have said, don't get your hopes up over this.... Dish and TWC most certainly said that it would be "just like you get on cable" and in the end, it is NOTHING CLOSE ! From a November 2007 e-mail newsletter, this is what they say:
Listen up DISH Network subscribers! Now there’s an exciting new way to get your local forecast from The Weather Channel, and it’s as easy as pushing a button. Tune to The Weather Channel on channel 214 and when you see the special icon, press the “Select” button on your remote to get your current conditions, radar, local forecast and more! You can also access your local weather whenever you want by going to DishHOME channel 100 and selecting the News icon. Take control of your weather any time, with DISH Network and The Weather Channel!
They also include the attached picture and I think Dish customers can confirm, we don't get this for our local weather.

Dish's website has this page, DISH Network -- News. There's a "Read more..." link that pretty much repeats the same though.

Attachments

• Cont_137.jpg
    Cont_137.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 165
CONFIRMED: Locals on the 8's and New Weather Interactive are now working!

See my post in the next page for what it's really is like and some of my 2 cents.

Thank you Directv and The Weather Channel!!!

Josh

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)