Web browsing on the phone: Comparison

What I found interesting is how similar the look of the "tabs" as he called them were for the three browsers. Tabs on Opera on my WM 6.1 phone are completely different.

I don't recall he said what services was being used for the Nexus and the LG W7 phone but it looked like, all three averages the differences in speeds were insignificant. Maybe he used wifi for all phones? If he said I didn't catch it.

What this looks like is by next year when iphone is open to all carriers, we may see a pretty even playing field for PDA performance among the majors.

Yeah, but this summer's rumors are much better than before. I've heard from 6 Verizon managers now that they are scheduled for classes on the iphone sales before the end of the year. In fact it's so common knowledge now that I stopped asking "iphone" and have begun asking about ipad. So far there is nothing to report on whether Verizon will offer ipad service anytime soon.

diogen- I know iphone will be one walled garden but why do you suspect windows will be? Current windows mobile PDA's are wide open. Just ask digiblur. Of course, as most have discovered these 3rd party apps are all Caveat Emptor. I recently got so frustrated about my wifi router ap being so buggy I came real close to just subscribing to Verizon for the service ap they sell. Then I discovered a much better program but had to pay for it. However it works flawlessly now and is fast at connecting. It's this kind of frustration with non screened and tested aps that is not for everyone. That's why there will continue to be a good healthy market for iphone personality types.

diogen- I know iphone will be one walled garden but why do you suspect windows will be? Current windows mobile PDA's are wide open. Just ask digiblur.
MS said as much
Microsoft shows WP7 Marketplace, says no outside apps | Electronista
WP7 is a complete OS re-write, nothing to do with WinMo...
That's why there will continue to be a good healthy market for iphone personality types.
I never did and still how no doubts about it. It's just not my cup of tea...

Diogen.

Don, I know you are very confident in this, but I just wonder why, if it such common knowledge, why the iphone's landing on VZW is not all over the tech blogs?

I will believe the verizon iphone when I see it.

Todd -- agreed.

BTW, back to the original post -- I like how the W7 phone could load six pages at the same time in the browser in the background. That was neat.

But I don't get the rectangular boxes on the GUI for the phone.

But I don't get the rectangular boxes on the GUI for the phone.
Rocky- The ipad and iphone ( I believe) uses Safari for iOS in a very similar fashion. On the ipad it is 9 "boxes" Instead of tabs look like we have on our Firefox browser, they fill a desktop with 6 or 9 boxes, with an image of the web page. You touch that box and it expands to full screen. There is a small picon at the top to touch and it shrinks that page back to the matrix of 6 or 9 boxes. The little x is to delete the page from active.

I am not even sure why they need it.
Just business! In the beginning Apple needed a carrier to offer their newest device and wanted a good fiscal arrangement, in exchange for exclusivity. AT&T won the bid for this, ie. were willing to pay the price. By having only one carrier, the sales were limited at first as necessary because it is well known Apple had early production volume problems. As time passes, and the iphone proved itself, Apple has been able to resolve many ( not all) it's supply issues and AT&T got caught demonstrating an inadequate network to handle the iphone load. Because of these two reasons it is unlikely that the exclusive agreement will be renewed, but as in business, we never know for sure until it is a done deal.

Rocky- All over the tech Blogs? Heck do you even read the blogs on this? It IS all over the blogs for the past 2 years, and most of that talk is just speculation based on little actual evidence. It's not the question of IF but rather when. All contracts have a term, you know.
I believe that it won't just be Verizon but considering it is the largest carrier in the US, it is the likely choice and making a CDMA version of the iphone has an obvious outlet, Verizon and Sprint. But when I spoke to guys at Sprint, it seemed unlikely Apple would make a third device for Sprint's different 4G service which Sprint would like to have. Verizon is the bigger market and LTE is what iphone will eventually have because it is also compatible with AT&T. The real question is whether T-Mobile will pick up the GSM version? To date everything is rumor. Likely there will still be people who will deny this even after an announcement is officially made. I stopped beliving the rumors earlier this year when I examined the terms of the AT&T exclusive deal that gave the end as 2011. But considering that iphone's new releases are calendar specific, my guess is that the CDMA won't be available until June of 2011. Most of the people I spoke with at Verizon seem to think they will have it in January. I believe they will make an official announcement at MacWorld or an Apple announcement in February along with new ipad announcements but the actual phone won't be available until June.

OK I answered these OT questions, to continue this line. maybe we should resurrect an old thread for this iphone on AT&T forever belief.

I am not even sure why they need it.
Me neither.
But unlike the 2007 deal between AT&T and Apple - that had quite a bit of risk for both parties involved -
VZN (or any other CDMA carrier) embracing, or not, the iPhone will be a very pragmatic calculated decision.

The smartphone market is established. The revolutionary period is replaced by the evolutionary one.
It must be very easy to calculate profit per customer, per handset sold. Over the lifetime of the contract.

Add some correction coefficients due to the predicted "excitement factor" and compare with the profit from other handsets.
If the profits are in the same ballpark, VZN will go for it. If not - they won't.

And I believe time in this game is not on iPhone's side.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)