Weird VIP622 discoloring problem

theinv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Something is not right with my VIP622 and this only started to happen recently.

If I watch tv or playback recorded videos for a more than 5-6 hours, the picture will become discolored (ie, gradually lose color) over time and will eventually become nearly black and white. I need to turn off the 622 and let it rest for a couple hours before it can regain the original vivid color.

I always watch tv on my pc's LCD monitor. My 622 is connected to the video capture card on my pc using S-VIDEO. I know it is not the monitor's problem because the windows xp looks fine.

Have anyone seen this before? What might have caused this? Could it be the overheating on the 622? Should I contact dish for a replacement?

Last edited:
Thanks!

"color fade" is a better wording for the problem I described.

My VIP622 is located on top of a big L-shape desk. There is nothing sits next to the receiver.

I haven't tried to hook it directly to a display yet. I will try it next time when this happens.

Thanks!

"color fade" is a better wording for the problem I described.

My VIP622 is located on top of a big L-shape desk. There is nothing sits next to the receiver.

I haven't tried to hook it directly to a display yet. I will try it next time when this happens.

I noticed that the output from TV2 was very faded. Still color, but seemed to be desaturated quite a bit. I didn't notice this happening gradually though. Seems like it was fine, then one day faded. I wasn't sure whether the problem was with the 622 or the TV, so I didn't post about. I was able to more or less correct the problem by boosting the color on the TV.

I suspect the problem is with the 622. I don't have a DVD player hooked up to TV2, but I suspect if I play a DVD the color will be all jacked up. I might try it later.

Edgar in Indy

The problem happens again after ~4.5 hours of continuous usage, but it is hard to tell what causes the problem.

Here are the details:

I have three video connections and they are setup as follows.

1) S-Video -> connect to my pc's video capture card
2) RCA (Yellow, red, white) cable -> connect to my pc's video capture card
3) HDMI -> connect to HDMI LCD monitor

S-Video is what I use most of the time to record videos from DVR to PC.

When the color fades on the S-VIDEO, I change the video input on my video card to use RCA , same problem.

Now, I check the HDMI connection, the color looks perfect.

Then I connect the S-VIDEO and RCA directly to the LCD monitor, the color also fades.

So the problem happens on both the S-VIDEO and the RCA connection after long hours of usage regardless of how they are connected to the monitor. I have tried the RCA outputs from both TV1 and TV2. I also tried different RCA cables but no success.

The problem is getting worse.

Now, the video from S-VDEO is black and white all the time. The RCA composite, HDMI and Coax are fine though.

Will dish replace my receiver under this circumstance? My receiver is leased and I have the Digital Home Protection Plan.

The problem is getting worse.

Now, the video from S-VDEO is black and white all the time. The RCA composite, HDMI and Coax are fine though.

Will dish replace my receiver under this circumstance? My receiver is leased and I have the Digital Home Protection Plan.

It's possible that the S-Video cable is bad or lost a pin. Check the pins on the S-Video cable or try another one. If that's not the case then yes you definitely have a bad 622.

It's possible that the S-Video cable is bad or lost a pin. Check the pins on the S-Video cable or try another one. If that's not the case then yes you definitely have a bad 622.

I tried several S-VIDEO cables and all have problem. The S-VDEO cable work fine in DVR 625.

The 622 was good when I got it 8 months ago. The color problem only started happened few weeks ago except now it is worse than ever before (completely black and white).

Loss of color on the S-video almost always means that a pin is bent or wire to it is broken. The connector has 2 pairs of twisted wire--one for 2-phase color and one for B/W intensity. A single bad socket can ruin multiple cables so check that the pins are straight. Twisting the cable while inserting can also bend one or more pins.

It is also possible the 622 had the socket pushed back so try to inspect with a flashlight. That the 625 worked indicates the cable may be good but the wire could still be broken at the solder pin and would change with bending the cable or using it in a different layout.

-Ken

Loss of color on the S-video almost always means that a pin is bent or wire to it is broken. The connector has 2 pairs of twisted wire--one for 2-phase color and one for B/W intensity. A single bad socket can ruin multiple cables so check that the pins are straight. Twisting the cable while inserting can also bend one or more pins.

It is also possible the 622 had the socket pushed back so try to inspect with a flashlight. That the 625 worked indicates the cable may be good but the wire could still be broken at the solder pin and would change with bending the cable or using it in a different layout.

-Ken

That was my initial thought but he said he's tried several different S-Video cables. If something is wrong wit the socket on the 622, he probably should replace the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)