What about Vizio TVs?

I'm with you as far as you providing an opinion, however, I'd be interested in seeing the source of your quote. At least to me, it has the appearance of having been copied and pasted from both the actual warranty info and a bit of editorializing. Look at pretty much any CE manufacturer's warranty and you'll find the same language and level of protection embedded in the legalese. There are enough good and bad stories floating around for most anyone's purchase, at any price. A point that you already conceded in your post with the frequent use of the word USUALLY.

i can't find my original article i read about the high breakdown ratio of vizio but here is a blurb from consumer reports (take it for what you will and i will try to dig up the other info i had). sems philips fits in with vizio too though.

ConsumerReports.org - TVs brand repair history

ps- i use the term USUALLY so loosely to make a point of not bringing out the nitpicking. there are always exceptions to the rules. unfortunately some would prefer to turn these exceptions into the rule.

Last edited:
Thanks for linking the CR article, whitey. I found it interesting, especially the statements below...
ConsumerReports.org said:
...At this point, we have enough data to report fully only on conventional picture-tube TVs and CRT-based rear-projection TVs. We can give you an initial assessment of newer TV technologies, though, and we're compiling more complete repair histories as more consumers buy and use these sets...
To be honest, I don't doubt that Vizio has higher repair rates and am fortunate that I didn't get a "lemon." I've read some horror stories related to my particular set and its predecessor... I also know that if mine manages to "stay in the clear" it's capable of providing very good PQ, as most of the electronics inside and the panel are derived from LG with Faroudja processing chips on board. So, I'd simply draw a distinction between the quality of components used in a given set and the quality controls employed while assembling that set. If I'm nitpicking then... ya got me :D

The CR article suggests that flat panels have ~3% repair rate and drew a distinction between Phillips' LCD and PDP models. The latter having more repairs. Even if Vizio's rate is twice the reported average, I'd still take it over a RPTV that has a 10% repair rate.

BTW, after Gary's article Vizio changed their warranty policies. Here's a link to Disposable HDTV's-Vizio Responds

I wouldn't be foolish enough to argue that my Vizio could provide superior PQ when compared to most properly calibrated Tier 1 flat panels. But, how many Tier 1's are taken home by someone who just stuck it in their living room without adjusting at least Contrast or Brightness for one input? My P50 pushes green a bit, is someone going to tell me that there isn't a Tier 1 out there that doesn't do the same?

Before I bought a Vizio I researched it among others, and my deciding factor came down to if I was willing to pay almost $1000 more (at the time) for a name brand. I concluded that I could live without getting the last ounce of ISF'd PQ perfection if it meant saving that kind of cash. I think Vizio fills a niche and I took a chance. I'm happy with the results.

I love mine, best bang for the buck. My brother has the Bravia, he wished he had saved the money. Source is so important in HD sets, anyone comparing at a store is ridiculous. I think if nameplates weren't in sight you guys couldn't pick one from the other

Everyone's got an opinion, I guess. .
Its not an opinion. A comparison of specs with other models will tell the story. Vizio LCD's have sad brightness and contrast Ratios compared to many other brands. I am currently looking for a small 32" LCD HD set for the bedroom. Ive looked at Vizio's picture and the specs. VIZIO 32" LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, VW32L - Wal-Mart (600 bucks for junk, 700:1 contrast ratio, you have to look pretty darn hard for something worse than that)
No way. Id rather pony up an additional 200 bucks for a decent set with a vastly superior picture. Sharp | LC-32D43U 32" 16:9 HD LCD Television | LC32D43U | (Native Contrast Ratio: 1,200:1, Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 6,000:1)

Last edited:
We have a Vizio 42" plasma in our Bedroom. For in there it does a nice job. Would I make it the center piece of my home theater? No way. Does it do a good job of providing decent HD and SD quality in my Bedroom? Absolutely and for the price I paid for it at the time it couldn't be beat.

I would guess for your average consumer 1st time HDer it would be a good buy as your main tv.

...A comparison of specs with other models will tell the story. Vizio LCD's have sad brightness and contrast Ratios compared to many other brands. I am currently looking for a small 32" LCD HD set for the bedroom. Ive looked at Vizio's picture and the specs. VIZIO 32" LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, VW32L - Wal-Mart (600 bucks for junk, 700:1 contrast ratio, you have to look pretty darn hard for something worse than that)
No way. Id rather pony up an additional 200 bucks for a decent set with a vastly superior picture. Sharp | LC-32D43U 32" 16:9 HD LCD Television | LC32D43U | (Native Contrast Ratio: 1,200:1, Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 6,000:1)
You're using manufacturer provided Contrast Ratio specs to support your argument? Do you know what measurements are used to achieve those numbers? It's certainly not an ANSI checkerboard pattern for measuring after proper calibration...

Here's a decent, albeit dated, article regarding those numbers, Picture This: The Numbers Game. I like the following quote from that article...
Jeff Sauer said:
...Of course, customers who buy based on numbers comparisons are simply cutting corners insensibly. There's a lot more to buying a quality plasma than which product can produce the most light. Color, clarity, sharpness, black level, gray-scale range, deinterlacing, image processing, connectivity options, option accessories, and just the way the image looks are, arguably, more important than brightness...

You're using manufacturer provided Contrast Ratio specs to support your argument? Do you know what measurements are used to achieve those numbers? It's certainly not an ANSI checkerboard pattern for measuring after proper calibration...

Here's a decent, albeit dated, article regarding those numbers, Picture This: The Numbers Game. I like the following quote from that article...
Ive cranked up the set. It sucks. The numbers are correct. You do know that consumer reports is the last place you should look for reviews of electronics equipment dont you? Do you know how they gather their data?

My office just got a 37inch LCD vizio. I hooked a dvd player up to it and played a couple scenes from The Eagles Farewell I Tour & The Incredibles: both looked pretty nice on it. GMA and TODAY look very good as well...don't know about other HD since it only has some rabbit ears hooked to it.

For my money, I think they are pretty good....not the best, but as Jim Rome says.....they "come strong and don't suck."

Ive cranked up the set. It sucks. The numbers are correct. You do know that consumer reports is the last place you should look for reviews of electronics equipment dont you? Do you know how they gather their data?

Not to be smart about it, but I don't. Since I'm a sub. to them, it would nice to know why it's a POS.

Well, since I wasn't advocating the use of Consumer Reports for purchasing anything... I'm not really sure what your point is (non sequitur)? The article that I linked to was written by a professional who works in video production, and was in no way related to CR. But, since you ask, one of the complaints that I hear most often about CR is that they do not elaborate enough on their evaluation methodologies.

When I researched my purchase, I don't recall CR as being one of my resources but, here are a few quotes from the articles that I did read...
Andrew Robinson said:
...The P50 is, without a doubt, worth every penny and then some. The overall quality of the P50’s image is just stunning, despite any minor shortcomings. I know 2006 has just gotten underway, but the Vizio P50 gets my early vote for product of the year: it’s that good...
Lawrence E. Ullman said:
This could be the best plasma bargain on the market today. Don't let the low price fool you - this is not some generic, stripped-down clone. The P50 HDM needed only minimum tweaking out of the box to achieve remarkably good performance. It also showed off HDTV to maximum effect.
Kevin Miller said:
With commendable image quality and plenty of connections, the relatively inexpensive Vizio P50HDM 50-inch plasma is the best value in its class.
Al Griffin said:
...I have to say I'm impressed at what the company can deliver picture quality-wise in a set this inexpensive. It may not be the last word in plasma TV performance, but the P50HDTV is one heck of a deal.
I'll trust my eyes and people who evaluate home theater components for a living... If/When I can justify the cost of a Pioneer or Fujitsu, I'll be happy to buy one :D

Maybe you're right vurbano, maybe Vizio's LCD's are crap, I really don't know 'cause I never looked into 'em :shh

It is the $25 DVD player story all over again, this time in TVs.
If the discussion lasts long enough, it boils down to Denon 5910 ($3500) being better than Oppo ($150).
And mainly because there are fewer Denon 5910 owners than there are Formula-1 licensed drivers, I think.

There are less than half a dozen LCD glass manufacturers and 2-3 make about 80% of it, I believe. Exactly the same story as with laptop manufacturing. Electronic components are made in Asia for longer than flat TVs exist. The only component (non-religious) that differentiates brand name models from the rest is quality control. And that becomes less important the longer the components are manufactured.

A few years ago my local computer shop had two DVD burners on sale: Sony and Lite-On. Sony was almost twice in price. They were identical to the point you could firmware flash one into another, both ways. Lite-On was probably made on the same street as Vizio today. And Sony just put its logo on it.

Diogen.

Took back my 37" Vizio for my office/den and got a Samsung. I was tired at looking at the orange tint. I have a Toshiba plasma and I put them side by side to calibrate. The greens on the Samsung are as true as the plasma. You get what you pay for. If you want a better pic go with the better company.

As far as Vizio being the worse? Try CC and BB's in-house brands for the bottom of the barrel. I showed my F-i-L four LCDs, all side-by-side at his CC and the picture quality improved visably as the price tag increased. $499 for the 32" Element, $599 for the 32" Vizio, on up to $999 for the 32" LG and $1,299 32" Sony Bravia. It was pretty easy to see what you were paying for between the Element and the Vizio, and again between the Vizio and the LG, but the small relative increase between the LG and the Sony for $300 was harder to justify.

Vizio would be fine for the kids, but I'd take the Toshiba or Sony myself.

You guys must be blind because Allingreens' experts say Vizo is awesome. Every one of them I have seen had some kind of awful color push.:rolleyes:

Maybe you're right vurbano, maybe Vizio's LCD's are crap, I really don't know 'cause I never looked into 'em :shh
They are I think one of the biggest marketing scams since Bose and apparently they have greased a lot of palms.

Vizio is the #1 selling LCD in the US. It's due totally to it's low price. Feed it anything other than a HD signal and you'll understand. They're OK but even with an HD feed the colors aren't correct.
Amen

sorry vurbano i have to disagree with you i love my vizio my parents love there vizio the only complaint i have is i would like better black screen but im not gonna clunk down 3000 dollars for a better black screen . my vizio has all the inputs i need and accepts the signals i need on vga

sorry vurbano i have to disagree with you i love my vizio my parents love there vizio the only complaint i have is i would like better black screen but im not gonna clunk down 3000 dollars for a better black screen . my vizio has all the inputs i need and accepts the signals i need on vga
love is blind.

great for price

Everyone's got an opinion, I guess. Most reviews that I've read tend to place some credence in the overall value that Vizio represents.Show me some data to back that up and I'd be happy to agree. It just hasn't been my experience with one of their products.

I'm with you as far as you providing an opinion, however, I'd be interested in seeing the source of your quote. At least to me, it has the appearance of having been copied and pasted from both the actual warranty info and a bit of editorializing. Look at pretty much any CE manufacturer's warranty and you'll find the same language and level of protection embedded in the legalese. There are enough good and bad stories floating around for most anyone's purchase, at any price. A point that you already conceded in your post with the frequent use of the word USUALLY.

Although I may come off as having an interest in "defending" Vizio, I'm not really interested in making a case for them but, I am curious as to why there seems to be an interest in making a case against them. I'm just waiting for the hdguru.com blog to surface here. That would be funny.

The only thing that matters to me is that my P50HDTV10A PDP has been more or less flawless for well over a year. I purchased it because it garnered the respect and recommendations of many independent and reputable A/V periodicals and I found that the PQ is quite enjoyable, after proper break-in and calibration of user level menu controls.

I can't speak to the performance or reliability of any of their other models but, then, I don't really care about those. So, I won't make silly blanket statements about this or any other company's products.

I have 5 Vizeo's in my house. There is a reason thay are the best selling LCD in the US. They have great pictures, have had no service issues or problems and cost way less than anyone elses.
The average person will not see any diffrence in picture quality bewteen these sets and any other brand.

I bought a Vizio two weeks ago. I had it on for about 30 minutes before I brought it back. Then I went to best buy and bought a samsung. The bottom line is, you get what you pay for, especially in the HD tV dept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)