What antenna is next after the Winegard Sensar?

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
I called Voom just now, trying to get them to turn on my Olympic coverage. While the lady I spoke with didn't turn on my olympic coverage, she was quite helpful. After I explained that I couldn't tune in my local NBC station she put in a request to install a better antenna.

I assume the Winegard is amplified after reading posts here. Any chance it is not amplified? The installer had told me that the Winegard he installed was a very good antenna. Is it worth upgrading to another antenna? I am certainly willing to try on Vooms dime, but I also don't want to put the installer through too much work for nothing. What do you think?

Any tips or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan

Try www.antennaweb.org to make sure that you're supposed to be able to receive it and if so, have Voom put up whatever antenna is necessary. If it doesn't work, have 'em try another. I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over putting the installer to work. It's his job.

When I had Voom installed, our installer told me that there was a good possibility that, considering I was 35 miles from Tampa, the OTA antenna that was supplied by Voom would not be strong enough to receive some of my local channels. He was right, I only received roughly half of them. He did leave me a tip though. He said if I called Voom and complained, they would install a stronger OTA antenna. Lo and behold, after calling Voom to complain, they sent the installer back out with a stronger antenna who even proceded to install it on a 30' foot mast (which withstood 60mph winds from hurricane Charley) and I now get all of my OTA stations.

I did a lot of research on good OTA antennas. The best I found is the Winegard HD8200P. It's BIG but has highest gain across channels 7-13 (10.4 to 12db) and all the UHF (14.2 to 13db). This is referenced to a single tuned dipole. It's weaker across channels 2-6 (6.4 to 7.7db) but it seems typical to be weaker in that band.

My local outlet didn't have that one but had a discontinued model (CA-8100) which has almost same specs. Check this link:

http://starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

Read on, the Channel Masters gain is the highest on the market the best model for HD is the 4228.Lets see since Superbowl I have tried 4 antennas,Radio Shack,Winegard,Blonder Tongue,and 2 from Channel Master.They would all get most of the stations but not all at one position,and the antennas had to be on the roof which is tackie as hell looking,I now pull all stations with signals in the 88-95 range and 3 or 4 are 100 and the antenna ins in the back yard 11 feet off the ground and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.Also check around if you decide to buy one,the local antenna installer wanted 99.95 for it but I found a electronics warehouse 30 miles away from me that sells them for 50.00 even
If anyone lives around DC and wants a free antenna post here and you can pick one up

branchbouncer said:
Read on, the Channel Masters gain is the highest on the market the best model for HD is the 4228.Lets see since Superbowl I have tried 4 antennas,Radio Shack,Winegard,Blonder Tongue,and 2 from Channel Master.They would all get most of the stations but not all at one position,and the antennas had to be on the roof which is tackie as hell looking,I now pull all stations with signals in the 88-95 range and 3 or 4 are 100 and the antenna ins in the back yard 11 feet off the ground and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.Also check around if you decide to buy one,the local antenna installer wanted 99.95 for it but I found a electronics warehouse 30 miles away from me that sells them for 50.00 even
If anyone lives around DC and wants a free antenna post here and you can pick one up
I agree. If you need a directional antenna, the people in my area say channel master 4228 is best. I use an RCA ANT40U YAGI that works well, but I am within 20 miles of the towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts