What do I need to install new 5LNB dish? -tool? compression?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi, I'm going to do the install myself. I'm told that the new 5lnb dish is 'finicky' and that I will need to have special compression fittings on my cable. What tool do I need to do this? Where can I get one? Price? Is this the only thing that I have to really concern myself with? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Rob

Use of compression fittings is not unique to the 5lnb, it is advised and preferred for use on any satellite coax run, as the crimp/hex type suck and are prone to bad connection, and will cause problems.

Someone here should be along evetually to recommend a particular make of tool to get. You can also Search the forms for 'compression tool'.

Last edited:
If you use a good connector, strip the cable properly, and flood the connector with dielectric silicone grease, a hex crimp is fine.

I have used hex crimp - only the ones that are a higher quality with silicon in them and an o-ring for over 10 years without any problems. KNOCK ON WOOD :)

iafirebuff said:
Sadoun has the needed parts for a decent price.

Hi, which one should I get? They have a package for 39.99 that has a 70014 Compression Crimper and cutter and stripper. Will that work? I just want to do a good install so that it works. Thanks,

Rob :eek:

Bob Nielsen said:
I use a DataShark compression tool from Home Depot. It is less than half the price of others I have seen and does a good job.

They have this at Sadoun. Good enough?

if you dont know how the 5lnb dish work. you are going to have problems. make sure you have a wide window. cause this dish require major clearance . remember its 5 satellites going thru that dish . if you have alot tall trees surround your house it is not going to work.

locksmith30076 said:
if you dont know how the 5lnb dish work. you are going to have problems. make sure you have a wide window. cause this dish require major clearance . remember its 5 satellites going thru that dish . if you have alot tall trees surround your house it is not going to work.

I do have a wide window. I've installed a few regular dishes and didn't have too much trouble. Besides, I have no choice. I have to install it. I live in a 'remote' area that installers will not venture out to. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.